Summer Rumour Mill

sage

1 hour ago, Gerry Daly said:

If the transfer window doesn't open until 14 June I guess we won't really know until then. I reckon big money transfers are leaked pretty extensively, but the kind of market we are in is of less interest to the media/agents circus

that will be us being quiet then

7 minutes ago, Ram1988 said:

It is sickening isn't it. Plange, Ebosele and Ebiowei all left for peanuts thanks to the EFL. If only we had all three now.

We didn't get a peanut for Ebosele and have yet to get any peanuts for Ebiowei.  I suspect this is because Palace have realised Plange wasn't worth the Dry roasted and the salted bags they paid 

I’m not sure where/when this quote is from, but it does indicate the kind of numbers we’re going to be bringing in.

”Strengthen at wing back” - I’d be surprised to see less than 3 WBs arrive seeing as we basically have none right now.

“More number 10s” - if this is a recent quote then it might indicate that Didzy has his sights elsewhere. A replacement for him and a back-up, then another number 9 would probably be first choice with Collins as back-up.

With Chester, Davies & Stearman gone too then I think we’ll need two starting centre-backs and at least one squad player to go alongside Cash & Fozzy.

Looking at 9-10 players at very minimum.

9 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I’m not sure where/when this quote is from, but it does indicate the kind of numbers we’re going to be bringing in.

”Strengthen at wing back” - I’d be surprised to see less than 3 WBs arrive seeing as we basically have none right now.

“More number 10s” - if this is a recent quote then it might indicate that Didzy has his sights elsewhere. A replacement for him and a back-up, then another number 9 would probably be first choice with Collins as back-up.

With Chester, Davies & Stearman gone too then I think we’ll need two starting centre-backs and at least one squad player to go alongside Cash & Fozzy.

I agree apart from from that meaning anything about Didzy. He's been playing as a 9 the majority of the time anyway. It's more of a comment on the system he wants to use, and use essentially not really having anyone other than Didzy to play there. You could argue Knight but he isn't remotely creative, and Sibley is probably the only other.

4 minutes ago, Srg said:

I agree apart from from that meaning anything about Didzy. He's been playing as a 9 the majority of the time anyway. It's more of a comment on the system he wants to use, and use essentially not really having anyone other than Didzy to play there. You could argue Knight but he isn't remotely creative, and Sibley is probably the only other.

I’d have Collins down as more of a 9 and Didzy as a 10 though. In an ideal world anyway, but I think Warne relied too heavily on Didzy and seemed to put all trust in him (probably rightfully) in getting us the points we needed.

If we are after at least 3 forwards for 2 positions, plus Collins & McGoldrick then that may explain why we haven’t renewed Didzy yet. As good a season as he’s had, he is 36 later this year. If he isn’t going to be a guaranteed starter, he might be looking at his options, e.g. Notts County.

4 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I’d have Collins down as more of a 9 and Didzy as a 10 though. In an ideal world anyway, but I think Warne relied too heavily on Didzy and seemed to put all trust in him (probably rightfully) in getting us the points we needed.

If we are after at least 3 forwards for 2 positions, plus Collins & McGoldrick then that may explain why we haven’t renewed Didzy yet. As good a season as he’s had, he is 36 later this year. If he isn’t going to be a guaranteed starter, he might be looking at his options, e.g. Notts County.

Yeah, I'm not counting Collins because if we are relying on him to play substantial minutes next season we aren't going to be in a good place.

22 minutes ago, Kernow said:

The quotes are from the end of season interview/review that Warne gave to Ramstv, it’s an interesting watch;

13 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

The quotes are from the end of season interview/review that Warne gave to Ramstv, it’s an interesting watch;

Watched that when it came out I just didn’t remember the exact quote. Nothings really changed then, I just thought if it was a new update then it might indicate McGoldrick might be off.

14 minutes ago, Srg said:

Yeah, I'm not counting Collins because if we are relying on him to play substantial minutes next season we aren't going to be in a good place.

He’ll be a back-up I expect. We got him from Cardiff before his contract expired so I’d imagine he’s on the higher level of what we could offer at the time. I doubt any sides that could offer him the same kind of salary would want him. If he’s not 3rd/4th choice then yeah we might not be good value for money as current favourites for the title…

54 minutes ago, Kernow said:

You will be disappointed. Absolutely no chance of a MINIMUM of 9-10 players. What planet are you on!

10 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

You will be disappointed. Absolutely no chance of a MINIMUM of 9-10 players. What planet are you on!

Huh? Perhaps you could brush up on your reading comprehension and then reply again?

11 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

I think you're mostly quibbling over the word "minimum" which is fair enough but certainly 9-10 seems perfectly possible.

5 loanees have gone, 3 players released, wouldn't expect Bielik to stay (so 9 so far if we take advantage of all freed up 'payroll positions', some of whom will have been on better wages than what we might now be offering) and my impression during January was that we could have brought in more on loan costs-wise, if things had fallen into place. So I think 10 by the end of August is on... who knows, we might even trade out some who Warne would rather not have under contract at this moment in time.

7 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

Really? We need to replace McGee, Stearman, Chester, Davies, Roberts, White, Dobbin & Springett/Osula to get back to the smallest squad in the league. That's eight signings 

I would guess we will sign somewhere in the region of 10-14 players for the first team, with a further 10-12 for the U21 side. All in, I wouldn't be surprised if the club make more than 30 signings at all levels this offseason. 

6 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Really? We need to replace McGee, Stearman, Chester, Davies, Roberts, White, Dobbin & Springett/Osula to get back to the smallest squad in the league. That's eight signings 

I would guess we will sign somewhere in the region of 10-14 players for the first team, with a further 10-12 for the U21 side. All in, I wouldn't be surprised if the club make more than 30 signings at all levels this offseason. 

What planet are you on!!

3 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

It's really hard to call until we see who leaves. Warne probably has a good idea already but won't be saying anything at this stage and with players released and loans returning to their parent clubs then we'd be quite a few players down on even last years small squad.

It isn't just a case of replacing all those who leave and then adding say 5 on top either. The likes of Chester and Stearman leaving hasn't really impacted us but with Davies adding to the exodus in central defence options then we'll presumably still need a couple of central defenders plus some wing backs. Midfield needs more bite and athleticism and we need forward options. If Didzy chooses not to stay then we're pretty much starting again up front.

Then we have all the 'will they won't they' stuff with Knight, Bird, Sibley, Cashin so we could be looking at a very different squad next year. The 21s will need a total rebuild so we may find one or two unfamiliar faces from there pushing to start before long. I'm deffo going to need to see a few pre-season games to get a better idea of all the changes and new options !