Summer Rumour Mill

sage

41 minutes ago, Jase116 said:

Out of curiosity then, if we signed for example,  Washington,  Walker ,Smith,  along with Harding/Bradley and a wing back say Hamer, would you say we had a good window and be happy with what we would have. Obviously along with the four we have already signed.

Yes, if you want to finish mid-table.

8 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

The perfect player to cover both wingback positions would be Steven Sessegnon who was released by Fulham. 23 and had a couple solid loan spells and can play both wingback roles comfortably 

Whats occurring Big Trav? Is Washington still on, is the the Rotherham manager playing mind games?

I was all ready to call my next born child Travor, don't make me call him Jimbob.

40 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

The perfect player to cover both wingback positions would be Steven Sessegnon who was released by Fulham. 23 and had a couple solid loan spells and can play both wingback roles comfortably 

Good age and versatile, but didn't have much of an impact at Charlton. Played mostly on the left there though which may have been a factor.

Just curious as to what people think we need.

I agree with Warne with the respect of the back 4. One more centre back and ideally then a wing back that can also play CB like Roberts did. Someone like Harding for example.

I disagree with him slightly with midfield being ok. I don't think it is. Currently it's the same as last season minus Harvey White. So Hourihane, Knight, Bird and Smith. There isn't enough goals there for me and on occasions last season it did get bullied. I just think we're a bit lightweight there. Even without Knight leaving. I feel we need one more in midfield. If Knight does go, as seems inevitable, then we would need two in my opinion. Someone like Brannagan would improve our midfield and maybe loan like that El Mizouni. 

Warne also mentioned 3 attacking players. Now I'm not saying we missed Osula when he went back at all. I just think we missed having another striking option on the bench. We didn't have many options last season. We had Mcgoldrick, Collins, Osula, Barkhuizen, Mendez-Laing and Dobbin. We've not got 3 of them now. So immediately we need 3 just to replace them. But ideally I think we need 4. Probably one out and our centre forward and then others that could potentially play across the front 3. We had no competition for NML or Barkhuizen last season. Other than Dobbin.

So with nobody leaving now. I'd say a CB, RWB (ideally one that can play CB too), CM and 4 attacking players.

All just my opinion though. Happy to see if others think we need more less.

Friend of mine who is an Oxford United fan seems to think we are courting Cameron Brannagan. Mark Thomas a fan of him. Could see him as replacement for Bielik/Knight and will depend on both leaving. Take with a pinch of a salt as he is not ITK as far as I know. 

1 minute ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I agree with Warne with the respect of the back 4. One more centre back and ideally then a wing back that can also play CB like Roberts did. Someone like Harding for example.

I disagree with him slightly with midfield being ok. I don't think it is. Currently it's the same as last season minus Harvey White. So Hourihane, Knight, Bird and Smith. There isn't enough goals there for me and on occasions last season it did get bullied. I just think we're a bit lightweight there. Even without Knight leaving. I feel we need one more in midfield. If Knight does go, as seems inevitable, then we would need two in my opinion. Someone like Brannagan would improve our midfield and maybe loan like that El Mizouni. 

Warne also mentioned 3 attacking players. Now I'm not saying we missed Osula when he went back at all. I just think we missed having another striking option on the bench. We didn't have many options last season. We had Mcgoldrick, Collins, Osula, Barkhuizen, Mendez-Laing and Dobbin. We've not got 3 of them now. So immediately we need 3 just to replace them. But ideally I think we need 4. Probably one out and our centre forward and then others that could potentially play across the front 3. We had no competition for NML or Barkhuizen last season. Other than Dobbin.

So with nobody leaving now. I'd say a CB, RWB (ideally one that can play CB too), CM and 4 attacking players.

At least one more CB (Harding, Bradley...)

Another versatile wingback (Sessegnon a good suggestion made earlier. Hamer at Burton Albion, too.)

A central midfielder to replace Bielik/Knight/we look like it this position to me anyway

A creative attacking midfielder

x2 centre forwards

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

At least one more CB (Harding, Bradley...)

Another versatile wingback (Sessegnon a good suggestion made earlier. Hamer at Burton Albion, too.)

A central midfielder to replace Bielik/Knight/we look like it this position to me anyway

A creative attacking midfielder

x2 centre forwards

Yeah agree with most of this mate.

What about wide players? Other than Barkhuizen/NML we have no other options.

6 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Friend of mine who is an Oxford United fan seems to think we are courting Cameron Brannagan. Mark Thomas a fan of him. Could see him as replacement for Bielik/Knight and will depend on both leaving. Take with a pinch of a salt as he is not ITK as far as I know. 

Yes please!

5 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I disagree with him slightly with midfield being ok. I don't think it is. Currently it's the same as last season minus Harvey White. So Hourihane, Knight, Bird and Smith. There isn't enough goals there for me and on occasions last season it did get bullied. I just think we're a bit lightweight there. Even without Knight leaving. I feel we need one more in midfield. 

Smith didn’t really play in midfield last season until the later side of the season, plus White was brought in to cover Bird. Once Bird was fit White barely got any game time. 

That plus we will likely play 3/5 at the back most games so we will only need two starting midfielders.

Warne’s comments suggest we would only sign if Knight/Bird leaves and that pretty much makes sense with 4 first team midfielders with another two reserve/youth

2 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Yeah agree with most of this mate.

What about wide players? Other than Barkhuizen/NML we have no other options.

If PW is committed to the 3-5-2 formation then you'd expect it'll be Ward/Elder on the flanks with NML/Barkhuizen coming on as their replacements. Like you said in your post, I think we need a versatile wing-back who can maybe play both flanks, though. I like that Hamer at Burton Albion, but not sure we'll be looking to pay a fee for a back-up player. Might end up being a position we utilise the loan system for. 

Just now, MACKWORTHRAM said:

It's a back 3/5, not a 4.
1 more CB will take us to 5 in that position.
1 more WB takes us to 3 senior wing backs. Unless we're relying on the likes of Knight/Sibley/other on filling in, that signing will need to cover the opposite side. That is unless the CB covers WB, such as Harding.

I don't want to get into a long debate regarding the midfield again, but neither of your proposals answer the questions you're asking (more goals AND defensive ability).
To get more goals from midfield, you'll be dropping Bird (since Hourihane scored 7 and assisted 10). Brannagan is a set piece merchant. Out of his 9 goals and 2 assists, 6 goals came from freekicks and penalties, and 1 assist from a corner. With Hourihane and Ward already lined up for freekicks and corners, as well as signing a CF confident enough to have a 1v1 with the keeper from 12 years, the end product from Brannagan is redundant. He's also very weak defensively.
Whilst El Mizouni would add a lot defensively to our midfield, his end product doesn't even match Bird or Knight despite playing in a lower division.

The forward situation is simple. 4 SSs and 3 CFs.
1 new signing to compete with Mendez-Laing, Sibley and Barkhuizen.
2 new signings to compete with Collins at CF. One of them ideally being capable of playing in a deeper role.

Whilst I agree with Warne's 5 signings with the current squad to get the right squad size, there are one or two I'd be looking to move on and sign replacements for.

8 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

If PW is committed to the 3-5-2 formation then you'd expect it'll be Ward/Elder on the flanks with NML/Barkhuizen coming on as their replacements. Like you said in your post, I think we need a versatile wing-back who can maybe play both flanks, though. I like that Hamer at Burton Albion, but not sure we'll be looking to pay a fee for a back-up player. Might end up being a position we utilise the loan system for. 

3421. Mendez-Laing and Barkhuizen options for the '2'

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Many people seem to be ignoring Barkhuizen as a real option.

He showed enough at Preston and in flashes last season to suggest that he could be a big player at this level.

Hopefully a good pre season will give him the required fitness levels to perform more consistently next season.

Edited by Carnero

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I don't think we'll play that formation that way, personally. Can't see PW wanting four wide players on the pitch at the same time when his primary tactic (from what I've seen so far) is to get the ball across from the flanks and have numbers in the box.

That's why I think it'll end up being 3-1-4-2 (like at Rotherham), or a 3-4-1-2 with a creative attacking midfielder in behind the two forwards. We don't have that creative attacking midfielder at the moment, so I think the latter is currently less likely.

25 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It's a back 3/5, not a 4.
1 more CB will take us to 5 in that position.
1 more WB takes us to 3 senior wing backs. Unless we're relying on the likes of Knight/Sibley/other on filling in, that signing will need to cover the opposite side. That is unless the CB covers WB, such as Harding.

I don't want to get into a long debate regarding the midfield again, but neither of your proposals answer the questions you're asking (more goals AND defensive ability).
To get more goals from midfield, you'll be dropping Bird (since Hourihane scored 7 and assisted 10). Brannagan is a set piece merchant. Out of his 9 goals and 2 assists, 6 goals came from freekicks and penalties, and 1 assist from a corner. With Hourihane and Ward already lined up for freekicks and corners, as well as signing a CF confident enough to have a 1v1 with the keeper from 12 years, the end product from Brannagan is redundant. He's also very weak defensively.
Whilst El Mizouni would add a lot defensively to our midfield, his end product doesn't even match Bird or Knight despite playing in a lower division.

The forward situation is simple. 4 SSs and 3 CFs.
1 new signing to compete with Mendez-Laing, Sibley and Barkhuizen.
2 new signings to compete with Collins at CF. One of them ideally being capable of playing in a deeper role.

Whilst I agree with Warne's 5 signings with the current squad to get the right squad size, there are one or two I'd be looking to move on and sign replacements for.

Yeah that's fair enough. I'd agree.

But are we playing 352 and that's it? I know it's going to be the favoured formation.

I agree about moving on a couple. I don't want Knight to go but he will. I'd personally be happy for Sibley and Barkhuizen to move on too.

19 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Many people seem to be ignoring Barkhuizen as a real option.

He showed enough at Preston and in flashes last season to suggest that he could be a big player at this level.

Hopefully a good pre season will give him the required fitness levels to perform more consistently next season.

I honestly thought he was a massive let down last season. Has a little purple patch. But flattered to deceive in so many games.

11 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I honestly thought he was a massive let down last season. Has a little purple patch. But flattered to deceive in so many games.

He was disappointing overall, I agree, but he has got ability. I just don't think he had the fitness to maintain his better performances. Hadn't he come off an injury hit season at Preston the season before, plus like the rest he didn't have a full pre-season at Derby last season.

Edited by Carnero