Summer Rumour Mill

sage

24 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Seems odd to me that JCH hasn’t moved already …I’ve said it a few times I’m not a fan after watching him a few times last season and think we should be looking at players like Nombe if we are going to spend 1m 

some saw him lay the ball off neatly a few times on Saturday and now think he’s better than what he is ….watch him in second leg against Weds when it mattered he didn’t hold it up then when posh were desperate for someone to do exactly that and also an error from him led to 3rd or 4th goal ….let’s go for a younger up and coming striker ! 

Whilst not advocating for Clarke Harris in any way, judging a player on that game may not necessarily guide you in the right direction. Joe Ward was possibly the worst player on the pitch that night. I remember commenting to my son that it was hard to believe that he was a professional footballer, yet he looks like one of our best signings this summer.

I just don’t get after not spending a penny we all think we’re going to splash over a million on the last day?? We will probably bring in a loan player 2 if we we are lucky and that’ll be that, unless Cahsin goes where’s this million coming from?

3 minutes ago, Topram said:

I just don’t get after not spending a penny we all think we’re going to splash over a million on the last day?? We will probably bring in a loan player 2 if we we are lucky and that’ll be that, unless Cahsin goes where’s this million coming from?

Exactly this mate.

And whilst restrictions aren't as bad as last year. We still have them in place this year. 

Unless Cashin goes for £3 million we aren't spending a fee on anyone.

12 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Exactly this mate.

And whilst restrictions aren't as bad as last year. We still have them in place this year. 

Unless Cashin goes for £3 million we aren't spending a fee on anyone.

I know people will Say warne will Say out budget is small but it is there’s no way unless someone goes we spend anywhere over maybe 200k, tbh I expect a loan and that’s it

5 minutes ago, Topram said:

I know people will Say warne will Say out budget is small but it is there’s no way unless someone goes we spend anywhere over maybe 200k, tbh I expect a loan and that’s it

Our budget compared to other clubs in this league is probably on the bigger side. But other clubs will have next to nothing 

Can't really see the need to prioritize an "older" striker given today's squad which apart from injuries I think feels quite well filled? Then you could have had a little higher quality in certain positions, of course, and given that NML seems completely exhausted after 65 minutes, maybe there should be a substitute, but Barks should be able to do that job?

If Cashin leaves we sure need a new central defender though...maybe might get one in anyway as backup since Bradley look a bit out of confidence/quality.

43 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Look at the scoring stats of the two and then explain why you would want Nombe over JCH.

Because I think he’s younger and will improve in a better side just a pity we don’t have someone like Mac here who I think could coach him to improve …JCH is a half decent player but it’s just my view that Nombe could be better but yes admittedly hasn’t got the goalscoring stats as yet 

4 minutes ago, Waghorny said:

Not getting this obsession with signing JCH - openly placed on the transfer list at the end of last season, stats looks great on paper, why has he not already been snapped up?

Something amiss...

He's got a good record in League One, where he's spent most of his career, previously shown that he's struggled to step up to Championship football - 21 goals in 98 appearances. He's also going to want a handsome payday for his next contract as it will potentially be the biggest and last big one of his career. Warne has previously clashed with him, openly, albeit they've since said they're amicable. 

The market for him is very small. Not many teams wanting to shed out £1m+ fee and £15k+ wages. Championship teams will probably look elsewhere due to his record at that level. 

Peterborough are getting shot of him no matter what. I expect him to sign for Bristol Rovers for £800k-1m based on their sell-on fee being waived. It looks like they want to make a splash this season. 

2 hours ago, Rambalin said:

Hang on for the meltdown "The window shuts at 23:00 BST on Friday 1 September"

And, just to pass on a bit of useless information, it's my birthday. It was kind of the powers that be to arrange deadline days to be on my birthday. Hoping, but not necessarily expecting, that the best birthday present is Cashin to sign a new contract (with the Rams before anyone comments 'but who with').

3 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

From a fan point of view signing JCH on deadline day for a £1m is very exciting. Plus whether or not he fits Warne’s system he is the best striker in the league so can’t harm to have him up top.

But from a boring point of view I just can’t see us dropping that much money on a 29 year old. It’s too much of a risk and not one DC seems likely to encourage.

We currently have the best striker in the league - Waghorn 5 goals in 3 games is it and he has never played at this low level of football ( Scotland could count ) Waghorn could end up being superb in terms of goal return - we just don’t know just like McGoldrick who was far to talented for this league 

my only concern in this league is when we start booting the ball long which we will and we have no one to challenge for it 

53 minutes ago, The_Sheriff said:

Do we need anyone else? I think we have enough now if no one leaves.

Perhaps another cm

It depends on Warne's plans regarding formation. 4 at the back means we could do with another RB (at least short term), and a wide player. 3 at the back means we're short at RWB (short term), LWB, and AM. Overall, that can be covered by a wing back and an attacker (AM/W)

I personally see 4411 (442/4231) best suiting our current squad. Without accounting for covering multiple positions, we'd shape up like this:

GK - Wildsmith, Vickers, Loach 
RB - Wilson, Rooney
CB - Nelson, Bradley, Cashin
LB - Forsyth, Elder
RM - Mendez-Laing, Ward
CM - Smith, Hourihane, Thompson, Bird, Fornah
LM - Barkhuizen, Sibley 
SS - Washington, John-Jules
CF - Waghorn, Collins

1 hour ago, Waghorny said:

Not getting this obsession with signing JCH - openly placed on the transfer list at the end of last season, stats looks great on paper, why has he not already been snapped up?

Something amiss...

Well league one teams can’t afford him and championship clubs are more restricted for money and of course Rotherham have already had him if that helps 

Don't think you can knock Clarke-Harris's record at this level. Look at it this way , if JCH came in and we got rid of Collins , we are getting somebody who has scored nearly twice as many goals in only 90 more apps at League 1 Level + JHC is 3 years younger than Collo. If the Fee was in the region of 1m and with the Cashin funds I think this is a no brainer. For someone who won the Golden Boot last year in a team that finished 6th.