Summer Rumour Mill

sage

We need another striking option, whoever that ends up as. What we've got will be run ragged and running on empty if we are not careful and a 17 year old backup is a real gamble and frankly a bit of a bonus if it works out. Even if he has a storming start, players of that age usually need pulling out the line of fire for their own good at some stage as their performances inevitably dip.

We either get a Waghorn character in on a free who will work hard, put himself about and do the things that Warne seems to like, or we go for a younger up and coming loan. Not giving us another forward option doesn't really seem like any kind of plan and we can't seem to get the players we want on such a small transfer fee budget. It's a long season and we are one injury away from bare bones so we need options to allow us to rotate and rest. Waghorn may not be much of a finisher but he can play the role that we need in Warne's system and allow us to freshen it up. I appreciate that it is all wild speculation at this stage but we could do worse as long as the wages are sensible.

20 hours ago, MarsdenRam said:

I still think he's being cute and has got something up his sleeve.

I think

a) it might have something to do with Rhodes wanting a pay off and as a result them wanting a few to offset it,

b) Not wanting to pay loan fees or full wages for players not guaranteed to be starters,

Both will probably still happen but on our terms.

Alternately 

c) you can't get a decent striker for 200k could translate to you can get a decent centre back for that.  So if you can move Cashin on for example then maybe you could afford a Shaun Barker sized fee for a better striker.

Maybe Cash plus cash for Ladapo or someone similar could emerge in the coming weeks. 

43 minutes ago, DCFCRhowy said:

Huddersfield just tweeted that we played a behind closed doors game Against them today.. maybe waggy played and we sneaked Rhodes on the coach home 

Isn't that how we got rid of Holmes? Who are we trying to **** off now, Hourihane?

3 minutes ago, Rample said:

I think

a) it might have something to do with Rhodes wanting a pay off and as a result them wanting a few to offset it,

b) Not wanting to pay loan fees or full wages for players not guaranteed to be starters,

Alternately 

c) you can't get a decent striker for 200k could translate to you can get a decent centre back for that.  So if you can move Cashin on for example then maybe you could afford a Shaun Barker sized fee for a better striker.

Maybe Cash plus cash for Ladapo or someone similar could emerge in the coming weeks. 

I hope not (c) I’d rather go in to the season short of a striker than lose Cash. He’s a bedrock foundation and needs to go up with Derby County. 

3 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Anyone know if we have a sell on % for Buchanan, Werded Bremen have released him from pre season to complete a move to either Birmingham or Swansea.

I looked earlier and it doesn't seem like it. There was a confusion as to whether he was a free agent or not at the time, and in the end they agreed to pay a development fee. I figure that is all we'll see. Not sure what fee is being bandied around, I imagine it will only be £500k plus add ons, so even if we did it wouldn't be substantial.

4 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Not sure where he fits unless he can wrestle the LWB position off Elder TBH.

He doesn’t fit in a midfield three where he’s likely to receive the ball under pressure or as a forward.

Where would you see his main strengths?

Don’t get me wrong I’d love to see the guy succeed.

We are playing with a 10 though, not a midfield 3. 

1 hour ago, Rample said:

I think

Alternately 

Well if we did that we'd have 3 centre backs all season and we play a back 3.

So we'd have to use the money to sign a centre back 

With Warne saying that he hopes to have an attacking player in this week, I would think we're aiming for them to be signed in time to play on Saturday - if that is the case then hopefully we start to hear some murmurs today of a deal being close with whoever it is (Rhodes/Sharp/Godden/Waggy)

10 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

With Warne saying that he hopes to have an attacking player in this week, I would think we're aiming for them to be signed in time to play on Saturday - if that is the case then hopefully we start to hear some murmurs today of a deal being close with whoever it is (Rhodes/Sharp/Godden/Waggy)

If we don't sign a CF this week, it looks like Collins up front on his own with the midfield box four behind him v Wigan.

2 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

Could we offer Barkhuizen or sibley plus £150-200k for Ladapo 

sibley been about £500k Barkhuizen being about £350k 

Cant imagine Ipswich wanting Barkhuizen or valuing Sibley at 500k, Maybe something like that could work for Nombe at exter, but I’d offer Barkhuizen on a permanent + Radcliffe on loan and next to no fee.