Summer Rumour Mill

sage

7 minutes ago, Topram said:

1 striker 1 midfield to go I reckon

Plus some loans. We are allowed to have 5 in a match day squad. I think there will be another Dobbin and another Osula plus another Roberts at least. Possibly another Harvey White too. Last season Bolton had better loans than us and they were pretty critical to their team. This time I think we will be at least as big a draw for loans as them.    

We need a centre forward and maybe two of them - in terms of midfielders I would be playing combinations of Bird, Hourahan, Smith, Sibley and Tompson whilst Rooney is no mug either and there has to be a root-in for the likes of Robinson - I don’t think we need another central midfielder at this point.

2 minutes ago, sage said:

1 CF, an attacking midfielder who could play second striker and another CB, ideally a young one to develop.

I'd like Aaron Collins, Bradley Dack and Di'shon Bernard. I'm not sure our finances will run to that though. 

We are fine now for centre backs we got fozzy cashin Rooney nelson Bradley , 5 is enough 3 starting 2 cover max bardell gone to Spain aswell young centre half 

2 minutes ago, DCFCRhowy said:

We are fine now for centre backs we got fozzy cashin Rooney nelson Bradley , 5 is enough 3 starting 2 cover max bardell gone to Spain aswell young centre half 

Fozzy and Bradley have had serious injuries. I'd like us to bring one more in, then if and when everyone is fit, send Rooney out on a month's loan.

13 minutes ago, sage said:

1 CF, an attacking midfielder who could play second striker and another CB, ideally a young one to develop.

I'd like Aaron Collins, Bradley Dack and Di'shon Bernard. I'm not sure our finances will run to that though. 

Reckon 2 and maybe a loan

49 minutes ago, sage said:

I’d be happy with that, and I agree regarding the CB. Bernard as a free agent would be good and probably the best there is available. Dack would be a cheat code in league one. Not sure how much Collins would be though 

17 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Coventry have just got 20m for Gyokeres...might mean they come in for Bird or Sibley with the money, been linked with both before I believe

If we got anything north of 650k for Sibley I think I’d take it, I think his career has hit a stumbling block here and with the signings we’ve made this summer we could reinvest his wages and potential fee into maybe two players better suited to us. I do think if we do sell we should slap on a big sell on fee though, because as we know he has potential to be a great player.

Edited by Eoghan1884

5 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

If we got anything north of 650k for Sibley I think I’d take it, I think his career has hit a stumbling block here and with the signings we’ve made this summer we could reinvest his wages and potential fee into maybe two players better suited to us. I do think if we do sell we should slap on a big sell on fee though, because as we know he has potential to be a great player.

I think sibley is more than good enough as a number 10 and LWB option tbh, worth keeping around.

1 hour ago, Gerry Daly said:

Plus some loans. We are allowed to have 5 in a match day squad. I think there will be another Dobbin and another Osula plus another Roberts at least. Possibly another Harvey White too. Last season Bolton had better loans than us and they were pretty critical to their team. This time I think we will be at least as big a draw for loans as them.    

We won't be signing 3 permanent players AND 5 on loan. It goes against everything Warne has said about having a relatively small squad (20-22)

1 hour ago, sage said:

I think you've got the right positions. Warne spoke of 4, maybe 5, a CB, a WB and some attackers prior to Wilson signing. That leaves a CB and some attackers. Your AM is one of Warne's attackers, which he has previously referred to as a 10.

I disagree with your options. Collins due to financial cost, Dack due to injury record, and Bernard as he's a bit suspect defensively.

My suggestions, in rank order:
CB - Michael Rose (free), Ross Sykes (Union SG, low fee), Joel Latibeaudiere (free, but very unlikely),
AM/SS - Andy Moran (Brighton, loan)
CF - Aaron Pressley (Brentford, free with sell-on), Tyler Walker (free), Matt Godden (Coventry, free with promotion bonus), George Hirst (Leicester), Freddie Ladapo (Ipswich), Sam Smith (free)

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We won't be signing 3 permanent players AND 5 on loan. It goes against everything Warne has said about having a relatively small squad (20-22)

I think you've got the right positions. Warne spoke of 4, maybe 5, a CB, a WB and some attackers prior to Wilson signing. That leaves a CB and some attackers. Your AM is one of Warne's attackers, which he has previously referred to as a 10.

I disagree with your options. Collins due to financial cost, Dack due to injury record, and Bernard as he's a bit suspect defensively.

CB - Michael Rose (free), Ross Sykes (Union SG, low fee), Joel Latibeaudiere (free, but very unlikely),
CF - Aaron Pressley (Brentford, free with sell-on), Tyler Walker (free), Matt Godden (Coventry, free with promotion bonus), George Hirst (Leicester), Freddie Ladapo (Ipswich), Sam Smith (free)

I did say Collins would be a stretch financially but so would Ladapo and with a higher chance of future resale. We need a CF who will create as well as score, let J. Collins stay in the box. 

Dack has had injuries, just like McGoldrick had. You would have to manage him through a season, but he is quality, you need one player in your squad with that little bit of magic.

As for Bernard, whoever we sign will now be a back up, which shortens your list. You can coach someone to defend better, you can't coach someone to have real pace.    

Edited by sage

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I don't think we will sign 3 more permanent players and 5 loans either. I was just making the point that there will be some loans, and good ones at that which people weren't factoring in

1 hour ago, sage said:

I did say Collins would be a stretch financially but so would Ladapo and with a higher chance of future resale. We need a CF who will create as well as score, let J. Collins stay in the box. 

Dack has had injuries, just like McGoldrick had. You would have to manage him through a season, but he is quality, you need one player in your squad with that little bit of magic.

As for Bernard, whoever we sign will now be a back up, which shortens your list. You can coach someone to defend better, you can't coach someone to have real pace.    

Do you think he would cope with Warne’s training routine? Like him but not sure if he is Warne’s type of player.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I think it was pre Sonny Bradley wasn’t it? So three more signings now for the attacking positions. 

plus any he deems needed for midfield when Knight leaves and if Bird/Sibbo go.

1 hour ago, RamLad1884 said:

I think it was pre Sonny Bradley wasn’t it? So three more signings now for the attacking positions. 

plus any he deems needed for midfield when Knight leaves and if Bird/Sibbo go.

I’d say we need two strong newcomers to the midfield.

Assuming three at the back and two wing backs, we’ll probably have three up front which leaves two holding midfielders.

That’s a lot of work and they will need refreshing.

I see Washington, NML and Barkhuisen (Kane Wilson?) being the wider options with two main central attackers.

Bird and Hourihane are the current best options, supported by Smith/ Sibley.

We don’t really have a runner to replace Knight or a goal scoring midfield player.

5 hours ago, Sparkle said:

We need a centre forward and maybe two of them - in terms of midfielders I would be playing combinations of Bird, Hourahan, Smith, Sibley and Tompson whilst Rooney is no mug either and there has to be a root-in for the likes of Robinson - I don’t think we need another central midfielder at this point.

I know we have improved in other areas that could have a knock on effect but I don't know how anyone could've watched us last season and think that the midfield didn't need improving.   AND on top of that we've lost Knight.  Really think we need to bring at least one in.

Edited by Blondest Goat