Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread 2023

25 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Assombalonga would be great, perhaps lost a fair amount of his explosiveness that made him so good but still a cut above this level. I don’t think he will drop into League One, though, unfortunately. 

I checked out his Wikipedia page really to see when he was last "that good" which was probably forest in 2016-17.

However, I did discover that his middle name is Curtis,which must be a sign.....

6 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I checked out his Wikipedia page really to see when he was last "that good" which was probably forest in 2016-17.

However, I did discover that his middle name is Curtis,which must be a sign.....

I’d say he’s had a similar issue to Rhodes, whereby it’s not necessarily goals that have been difficult to come by but minutes on the pitch which has impacted his ability to put up volume of goals.

Both players do their best work inside the box, typically will go as the team goes, I think we’re set up nicely for that type of striker at this level so I’m not against it, but can see when results aren’t going their teams way why these are two players that are easy to drop in favour of more industrious types. 

6 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Assombalonga would be great, perhaps lost a fair amount of his explosiveness that made him so good but still a cut above this level. I don’t think he will drop into League One, though, unfortunately. 

Sadly could be right. I am worried we lack a striker or two with. Season a week away 

If we play the 352 which Warne favours...we only have 1 no9 in Collins..but we do have Mendez Laing, Barkhuizen, Sibley and Washington to play the other striker role..so the main striker role is the main target..as we are all aware.

However, if we agree that Smith, Hourihane and Bird are the central midfield 3..apart from Thompson ( who currently is playing lwb), where is the cover for any of them???

14 minutes ago, valakari said:

If we play the 352 which Warne favours...we only have 1 no9 in Collins..but we do have Mendez Laing, Barkhuizen, Sibley and Washington to play the other striker role..so the main striker role is the main target..as we are all aware.

However, if we agree that Smith, Hourihane and Bird are the central midfield 3..apart from Thompson ( who currently is playing lwb), where is the cover for any of them???

Cover is Thompson Rooney Robinson Radcliffe for midfield. 

Edited by Magicman

45 minutes ago, valakari said:

Fair point that 

44 minutes ago, valakari said:

Rooney is a defender. (Who can play in cm and has done so under Warne)

Thompson i said was the cover. (When Elder is fit he’s likely first choice freeing Thompson to be cm cover, we also have Wilson, Sibley and Forsyth at a push who could play lwb)

Robinson is untried. (and a highly rated academy prospect recently called up to train with his senior national squad, perhaps a clear avenue to the first team is appropriate so we have another Knight on our hands?)

Radcliffe is still in nappies and also untried. (is close to 6ft 2 already at 19 and looks a unit, played 43 games in the national league at 18 averaging 73 mins per game, possibly deserves a little more credit than you’re giving him)

Not really what you need for automatic promotion...and not replaced Knight, who was the energy in the midfield! (Knight’s energy in midfield is seemingly being channeled through the team with the wingbacks driving up the pitch, the press being across the team not led by Knight and Knight alone, Smith playing in there changes the dynamic for Bird and Hourihane)

I see your point but don’t share your concerns for the above reasons. And there’s still time to strengthen. I feel the squad is better balanced with more depth and ability to cover positions than it was last season, with further additions still likely and time for them to be added, I’m relaxed about it still.

On 24/07/2023 at 12:07, Kernow said:

I don’t see why not, the hatred was between Gibson and Morris, I think Gibson’s gripe was with Mel and not the club itself, hence why he was perfectly happy to have the matter settled by Morris himself rather than the club.

I don’t really care about Middlesbrough. I don’t like Gibson so I don’t want them to do well as it’ll directly correlate to Steve Gibson being happy which just can’t happen.

If we can loan someone from Middlesbrough that’ll improve us then I’m fine with that, and Coburn would be a good option. He was on the bench against us away at Rovers and when they were warming up in front of the away fans, he was massive. He’d be a real problem for teams if we’re putting the kind of crosses in we’ve seen in pre-season.

For any sides looking to League One clubs to take on loanees, then as long as they’d get enough football, there won’t be many better options than us.

Steve Gibson’s gripe was with Mel, but akso with the club as well. It was over the fact that we gazzumped Middlesbrough when we signed Waghorn from Ipswich. Gibbo noted what we had done, then waited for his opportunity, which he manufactured with his vacuous claims that we had cheated them out of the play-off places.

25 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I see your point but don’t share your concerns for the above reasons. And there’s still time to strengthen. I feel the squad is better balanced with more depth and ability to cover positions than it was last season, with further additions still likely and time for them to be added, I’m relaxed about it still.

Ok...Wilson is a rwb..and not great.

Rooney is a defender..

Forsyth can't play wing back...

Sibley isn't a lwb, nor is Thompson, but can do it...

Surely building a team, round pegs, round holes....who covers central midfield, who replaces Knight??

Need 1 in me thinks

13 minutes ago, valakari said:

Ok...Wilson is a rwb..and not great.

Rooney is a defender..

Forsyth can't play wing back...

Sibley isn't a lwb, nor is Thompson, but can do it...

Surely building a team, round pegs, round holes....who covers central midfield, who replaces Knight??

Need 1 in me thinks

Like I said, I don’t see it how you do. We’ve got round pegs in round holes for the most part and then the odd rounded square peg for emergencies. This has been covered a fair few times by others now but the way I see it Knight played a fair number of games out of position last season, as did Smith, by signing Ward and Wilson to cover the rwb/rb position we have freed Smith up to be another body in midfield and have two very capable options for the right side of defence. The change in formation/signing of players that suit the formation will cover the attributes which we have lost in the shape of one Jason Knight. Wing backs will be full of running to get us up the pitch, Smith in midfield frees Bird to play in a more advanced role as we saw against Stoke. Could we do with another body? Yeah sure, why not, is it a disaster if we don’t sign a like for like replacement for Knight? Not for me as I can see the other options and possibilities within the playing staff we have. 

Valakari raises a point I was thinking the other day - who is our back up midfield? If one of the starting three get injured and then someone picks up a knock in a game we could have Thommo and Robinson on the pitch at the same time 

this would be good for thommo but Robinson whilst well thought of is untried. On that basis tunnicliffe or such like would be a good option along with two forwards (prefer the sound of assombolonga than Rhodes) as hopefully warne rotates the squad more than he did last year 

5 minutes ago, norwichram said:

Valakari raises a point I was thinking the other day - who is our back up midfield? If one of the starting three get injured and then someone picks up a knock in a game we could have Thommo and Robinson on the pitch at the same time 

this would be good for thommo but Robinson whilst well thought of is untried. On that basis tunnicliffe or such like would be a good option along with two forwards (prefer the sound of assombolonga than Rhodes) as hopefully warne rotates the squad more than he did last year 

I think Warne’s plan has been for only 2 of them starting, not three. With two attacking midfielders and a striker. Obviously, with recruitment at the moment, it’s been a bit different. 

7 minutes ago, Srg said:

I think Warne’s plan has been for only 2 of them starting, not three. With two attacking midfielders and a striker. Obviously, with recruitment at the moment, it’s been a bit different. 

I see - would Bird count as one of the two attacking midfielders?

Warne has said he wants a 10, so if we played 352 it would be more a 3412 or 3421, meaning we will have 2 CMs out of Smith Bird Hourihane Thompson with Rooney Sibley & Robinson also able to cover if really needed. The new 10 may also be able to play in the CM role, if it was someone like Tunnicliffe for example

13 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Warne has said he wants a 10, so if we played 352 it would be more a 3412 or 3421, meaning we will have 2 CMs out of Smith Bird Hourihane Thompson with Rooney Sibley & Robinson also able to cover if really needed. The new 10 may also be able to play in the CM role, if it was someone like Tunnicliffe for example

Reckon the number 10 if we get one will be a loan player