Eurovision Song Contest

ziggyram59

Grumpy bugger.

It's a bit of fun. I like it.

But for the Ukraine war, we would have deservedly won last year and we've got a decent song in again this time round. It's a very catchy pop tune, though I'm not sure it's distinctive enough to stand out on the night unless the staging & performance is top-notch.

We're also performing last, which is usually seen as a good thing.

I'll be watching.

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

Grumpy bugger.

It's a bit of fun. I like it.

But for the Ukraine war, we would have deservedly won last year and we've got a decent song in again this time round. It's a very catchy pop tune, though I'm not sure it's distinctive enough to stand out on the night unless the staging & performance is top-notch.

We're also performing last, which is usually seen as a good thing.

I'll be watching.

Sorry Wolfie when you get to 62 you become grumpy 😀. I've never been a fan of Eurovision even as a teenager from the likes of The Brotherhood Of Man, ABBA, Bucks Fizz etc I have hated it. I've just been a lover of good pop artists/groups like David Bowie, Queen, Bruce Springsteen, Aretha Franklin, Motown, Ed Sheeran, Katy Perry, Dua Lipa. 

I think there's a bit of taking it too seriously on here. I don't watch Eurovision expecting to hear outstanding music. I watch it for the spectacle, funniness (intentional or otherwise), feelgood factor and novelty of it all. Pair it with a decent Eurovision drinking game, invite some mates round and just have a bit of a laugh.

Definitely not my music taste at all, but having said that, it's not all Europop, there are always some folk acts, a couple of faux-metal entrants and plenty of balladry. but like I said, it's not really about the music!

4 minutes ago, TomBustler1884 said:

I think there's a bit of taking it too seriously on here. I don't watch Eurovision expecting to hear outstanding music. I watch it for the spectacle, funniness (intentional or otherwise), feelgood factor and novelty of it all. Pair it with a decent Eurovision drinking game, invite some mates round and just have a bit of a laugh.

Definitely not my music taste at all, but having said that, it's not all Europop, there are always some folk acts, a couple of faux-metal entrants and plenty of balladry. but like I said, it's not really about the music!

4 minutes ago, TomBustler1884 said:

You make a very good point. 

11 minutes ago, ziggyram59 said:

Sorry Wolfie when you get to 62 you become grumpy 😀. I've never been a fan of Eurovision even as a teenager from the likes of The Brotherhood Of Man, ABBA, Bucks Fizz etc I have hated it. I've just been a lover of good pop artists/groups like David Bowie, Queen, Bruce Springsteen, Aretha Franklin, Motown, Ed Sheeran, Katy Perry, Dua Lipa. 

😂 Fair enough. I'm just turned 50, so have a few years to grumpify!

I completely agree with @Stive Pesley, I'd hate to watch this stuff every week but as an annual one off, it's just fun entertainment IMO.

The good songs (and yes, there are always a few) are good and even the bad ones are normally so bad, they're good entertainment also. Our entry this year sounds like it could have been a Katie Perry or Dua Lipa song, I reckon.

The way they do the voting now also is very good at keeping the interest going til the end.

3 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

😂 Fair enough. I'm just turned 50, so have a few years to grumpify!

I completely agree with @Stive Pesley, I'd hate to watch this stuff every week but as an annual one off, it's just fun entertainment IMO.

The good songs (and yes, there are always a few) are good and even the bad ones are normally so bad, they're good entertainment also. Our entry this year sounds like it could have been a Katie Perry or Dua Lipa song, I reckon.

The way they do the voting now also is very good at keeping the interest going til the end.

Wolfie maybe I should just watch it for once to see/hear our entry if she sounds as good as Katie Perry/ Dua Lipa. Also must admit I thought Sam Ryder's song last year was very good. 

Eurovision introduced me to Dodi Freyr (probably mangled the spelling). I thought that was genius and sought out every you tube video I could, and it’s now one of our favourites on just dance. 

Also, I saw Sam Ryder singing live at the Taylor Hawkins tribute concert, so any friend of Dave Grohl’s is a friend of mine, and by association Eurovision is cool.