Eurovision Song Contest

ziggyram59

I quite liked Australia, although I’d be interested to see how that would work practically if they ever won. Lunchtime Eurovision. Weird. Like a world cup in winter. 

I’ve never quite understood the rules on who is allowed to enter. Like we’ve got loads of great acts in the UK. Why not just wheel out Ed Sheeran or Adele to wipe the floor with the competition. Is there a rule against that? Or is it just a gentleman’s agreement that we’ll leave our nukes at home and enter someone no one’s ever heard of?

Sam Ryder’s song at the end was probably better than the lot of them weirdly. We should’ve just entered that. Would there have been a rule against that?

On 14/05/2023 at 08:46, ziggyram59 said:

Thank god it's over didn't bother watching any of it. I see what was supposed to be a fantastic UK entry came 2nd to last, can't have been that good. I reckon if we put Ed Sheeran in we would struggle to win. 🤣

We suffered on the night because there were quite a few other female-led poppy tunes but mostly because the performance of it was just really poor. When you could hear her sing (which wasn't for much of it), she sounded a bit flat.

A decent song with a strong singing voice and memorable staging could and would have won. Worked for us last year and Sweden this time.

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

We suffered on the night because there were quite a few other female-led poppy tunes but mostly because the performance of it was just really poor. When you could hear her sing (which wasn't for much of it), she sounded a bit flat.

A decent song with a strong singing voice and memorable staging could and would have won. Worked for us last year and Sweden this time.

So why don’t we just enter Adele or Ed Sheeran one year. That’s what I don’t get. We entered cliff richard once, and he’s not exactly an up and coming you tuber. Is it that we’ve specifically made the choice to only promote new talent with Eurovisión, even if that sacrifices competitiveness?

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

So why don’t we just enter Adele or Ed Sheeran one year. That’s what I don’t get. We entered cliff richard once, and he’s not exactly an up and coming you tuber. Is it that we’ve specifically made the choice to only promote new talent with Eurovisión, even if that sacrifices competitiveness?

Because Adele and Ed Sheeran (and their like) already have millions of sales and billions of streams to fill their bank balances and don't need the added exposure. Why would they risk all that by entering a competition that a percentage of their following would find seriously uncool?. Nothing to gain and a hell of a lot to lose if it doesn't go well.

Yes, many countries enter acts who are already famous and successful but only in their own countries/regions. They do Eurovision for global exposure and commercial gain. Established UK acts mostly already have that wider awareness.

58 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Because Adele and Ed Sheeran (and their like) already have millions of sales and billions of streams to fill their bank balances and don't need the added exposure. Why would they risk all that by entering a competition that a percentage of their following would find seriously uncool?. Nothing to gain and a hell of a lot to lose if it doesn't go well.

Yes, many countries enter acts who are already famous and successful but only in their own countries/regions. They do Eurovision for global exposure and commercial gain. Established UK acts mostly already have that wider awareness.

We have occasionally entered British pop stars who are already established - especially in the 1960s

Matt Monro, Sandie Shaw, Cliff Richard, Lulu and Mary Hopkin had already had hits
The Shadows were well established when they represented us in the 1970s

The Sonia and Katrina & The Waves in the 1990s

More recently Engelbert Humperdinck and also Blue!

Thing is, it's a primarily a song contest so simply being an already famous singer is not enough - you need a killer song too, and even established stars are always at the mercy of their next single being a complete turkey 

1 minute ago, Stive Pesley said:

We have occasionally entered British pop stars who are already established - especially in the 1960s

Matt Monro, Sandie Shaw, Cliff Richard, Lulu and Mary Hopkin had already had hits
The Shadows were well established when they represented us in the 1970s

True but I think Eurovision was probably a bit more cool back then?. Bucks Fizz in 1981 is the first I can remember seeing.

The Sonia and Katrina & The Waves in the 1990s

More recently Engelbert Humperdinck and also Blue!

These were all well past their commercial peak when they entered. It was more of a career revival "I'm not dead, you know" attempt.

Thing is, it's a primarily a song contest so simply being an already famous singer is not enough - you need a killer song too, and even established stars are always at the mercy of their next single being a complete turkey

Agreed. You need a good song; a singer who can sing; a bit of charisma; good staging; a gimmick is often useful; plus of course luck

We struck gold last year with Sam Ryder, who ticked all of those bar the luck bit (Putin) but he wasn't an unknown - apparently had millions of online followers, which I didn't know until recently.