Our best free transfer

dog

1 hour ago, SK47 said:

It was against Millwall (if its the one I'm thinking of. Absolute cracking goal.

The stats show he did score in a 1-3 at Millwall but I can't picture it just now. He scored a couple against Ipswich - both good goals but neither the one I was thinking of.

I include the beauty at Cardiff for your enjoyment!

30 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Rasiak, Idiakez, Smith and Bisgaard was a fantastic summer.

Saying that, our L1 equivalent is McGoldrick, Hourihane, Mendez-Laing and Smith. Not too bad.

Agreed, Tommy Smith was excellent - better than I'd expected.

Really enjoyable team to watch under Burley.

10 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Rasiak, Idiakez, Smith and Bisgaard was a fantastic summer.

Saying that, our L1 equivalent is McGoldrick, Hourihane, Mendez-Laing and Smith. Not too bad.

Not sure whether it was Burley or somebody else identifying the signings but our recruitment that season was something else. 

Also the above example proves that you can build a good squad on limited resources and that a poor window shouldn’t be accepted as “we’re under restrictions so what do you expect.”

10 hours ago, jameso said:

Agreed, Tommy Smith was excellent - better than I'd expected.

Really enjoyable team to watch under Burley.

Up until Mac1 that was my favourite side to watch even more so than the promotion season. 

2 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

Not sure whether it was Burley or somebody else identifying the signings but our recruitment that season was something else. 

Also the above example proves that you can build a good squad on limited resources and that a poor window shouldn’t be accepted as “we’re under restrictions so what do you expect.”

That would likely have been Burley's chief scout, Simon Hunt?

It was lot easier to bring in overseas players back then though, so a far bigger pool of players (and styles) to choose from.

Players like Rasiak, Idiakez & Bisgaard came into the Championship largely as unknown qualities so there was an element of surprise which can work in your favour. Signing players who've already been knocking around the English/Scottish leagues and been scouted by all of your rivals doesn't isn't quite the same.

Edited by Kokosnuss

12 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Tommy Smith Eranio and O'Hare I recall coming on free from Sunderland.

O'Hare cost us £20,000 - Clough's first signing.

On 01/05/2023 at 14:03, BaaLocks said:

Steve Bloomer - Derby Midland to Derby County when the two clubs merged in 1891.

Either that or Conor Doyle - you choose.

I suppose it could be argued that Steve Bloomer cost us £100 😂

When you look back at the history of Derby County it goes back through Derby Midland to Derby Town in 1864 

It was Derby Midland who first played at the Baseball Ground and wore Black and White. 

This is a very interesting article 👍

https://www.greatbritishlife.co.uk/things-to-do/whats-on/22632413.rise-fall-derby-midland-football-club/

The wording was diplomatic. In truth Derby County completely absorbed its rival, covering the Midland’s £100 debt and taking all its players. Among the array of talent was an upcoming youngster named Steve Bloomer – no wonder one newspaper later described the takeover as the ‘football bargain of the century’. Derby Midland Football Club was dead after just ten years – slain by an imitator three years its junior. Derby County’s most crucial triumph...

Edited by Elwood P Dowd

20 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

I suppose it could be argued that Steve Bloomer cost us £100 😂

When you look back at the history of Derby County it goes back through Derby Midland to Derby Town in 1864 

It was Derby Midland who first played at the Baseball Ground and wore Black and White. 

This is a very interesting article 👍

https://www.greatbritishlife.co.uk/things-to-do/whats-on/22632413.rise-fall-derby-midland-football-club/

The wording was diplomatic. In truth Derby County completely absorbed its rival, covering the Midland’s £100 debt and taking all its players. Among the array of talent was an upcoming youngster named Steve Bloomer – no wonder one newspaper later described the takeover as the ‘football bargain of the century’. Derby Midland Football Club was dead after just ten years – slain by an imitator three years its junior. Derby County’s most crucial triumph...

That’s a great story… I never new that.. 

Tha