Will you be pledging allegiance to the Royal Family?

Stive Pesley

Will you be pledging allegiance to the Royal Family?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be pledging allegiance to the Royal Family when prompted during the Coronation?

• Yes - absolutely. I love the Royal Family and I consider myself their humble servant
    • Yes - although I have mixed feelings about he hereditary monarchy, I will probably just go with the flow
    • Maybe - I haven't decided yet. It seems a bit of a weird ask in the 21st Century
    • No - I have zero interest in the Royal family and consider the hereditary monarchy an anachronism

This poll is closed to new votes

2 minutes ago, Archied said:

Sounds about the right way to look at it , if there was ever a vote I would vote to get rid but would be ok to go with the majority, some people love the monarchy and that’s they’re choice , let those who enjoy the stuff like the coronation turn up and have a nice day in peace 🤷🏻‍♂️

I probably wouldn't even vote if we were given the choice in all honesty.

They cost money, at the same time they help generate revenue through tourism.

Financial sides are all guesstimated, depending on your stance you can find figures online that suit which side you're on.

The crowds on Saturday and viewing figures will show there is significant interest globally.

I don't know, I see it from both sides, neither side have been able to drag me off this not arsed fence. 

47 minutes ago, David said:

Financial sides are all guesstimated, depending on your stance you can find figures online that suit which side you're on.

The crowds on Saturday and viewing figures will show there is significant interest globally.

I don't know, I see it from both sides, neither side have been able to drag me off this not arsed fence. 

A bit like me on brexit , I didn’t vote as as I could see both sides , obviously once the vote was out I felt strongly that to try to ignore and or overturn the vote was/ is very wrong ,, when all said and done it was probably a massive mistake to have the referendum and it has ushered in an era of real divide and tribalism in the country that now seems to have spread to almost every area and issue 🤷🏻‍♂️

If the country decided to abolish the monarchy as our head of state. What type of head of state would we want to replace it with?

Something similar to a USA Presidential system?

Or do we hold the popularity contest every 4 or 5 years, to vote for a none political figure?

To carry out the duties presently performed by Charlie. While living a life of luxury, staying in the country's biggest council house.

6 hours ago, ziggyram59 said:

Malagaram I think there are a lot of people out there like me and you who will think the same. 

Bear with me, but I've got a theory on the death of Diana. I'll probably be branded a conspiracy theorist, but here goes...

Basically, the tabloid press in the UK are total scum and will sink to the lowest possible level to get some dire celebrity story.

This is an effective business strategy as many people in the uk read, and still read, these dire publications, which are a mix of celebrity gossip mixed with vile, divisive lies and opinions directed by the repulsive people who own them.

Diana was hugely popular, as she seemed to have slightly more humanity than the other royals, but she was still basically a spoilt arisocrat. The many people who loved her were also desperate to read yet more garbage gossip in the aforemention tabloid rags.

Continual press invasion clearly blighted her life and when media scum in Paris tried to take a pic of her and partner, some panicked decisions were clearly made and there was a tragic accident because of a high speed chase.

The mostly moronic "Great" British people seem to simultaneously hold all these positions:

Diana was the People's Princess and was pure good.

The way the Queen and Royals acted in her death was abysmal and showed how uncaring and cruel they were.

Charles and the other Royals made Diana's life a misery.

The tabloids made her life a misery. Other things like Milly Dowler phone hacking etc show even more what a stain these papers are on our nation.

We still buy these papers though and continue to swallow their celebrity lies and vile agendas.

The Queen was a truly remarkable woman who was perfect in every way. 

Charles needs unwavering allegience as he is our King and will no doubt be a wonderful King because that is what the media tell me.

That Prince Andrew is vile. So is that Meghan. And Harry. Did you what so and so said to her and him. It's terrible I tell you. I read that Meghan did x y and z you know. She isn't "one of us".

The Queen is totally blamess that one of her sons is a sex offender and she had to pay loads of money to his victim. 

2 hours ago, David said:

Financial sides are all guesstimated

The cost is guesstimated right now, but as it's being paid for by the Government out of tax payer's money, the cost will eventually be published some time afterwards. It's the revenue generated through tourism that can never truly be quantified - not even close.

So you're right that it can never be compared and the "value for money" element will be subjective, so for that reason I don't really care about the figures. Just the principle of how tone-deaf the whole thing is when you look at the state of the country

32 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Bear with me, but I've got a theory on the death of Diana. I'll probably be branded a conspiracy theorist, but here goes...

Basically, the tabloid press in the UK are total scum and will sink to the lowest possible level to get some dire celebrity story.

This is an effective business strategy as many people in the uk read, and still read, these dire publications, which are a mix of celebrity gossip mixed with vile, divisive lies and opinions directed by the repulsive people who own them.

Diana was hugely popular, as she seemed to have slightly more humanity than the other royals, but she was still basically a spoilt arisocrat. The many people who loved her were also desperate to read yet more garbage gossip in the aforemention tabloid rags.

Continual press invasion clearly blighted her life and when media scum in Paris tried to take a pic of her and partner, some panicked decisions were clearly made and there was a tragic accident because of a high speed chase.

The mostly moronic "Great" British people seem to simultaneously hold all these positions:

The way the Queen and Royals acted in her death was abysmal and showed how uncaring and cruel they were.

The tabloids made her life a misery. Other things like Milly Dowler phone hacking etc show even more what a stain these papers are on our nation.

We still buy these papers though and continue to swallow their celebrity lies and vile agendas.

Charles needs unwavering allegience as he is our King and will no doubt be a wonderful King because that is what the media tell me.

That Prince Andrew is vile. So is that Meghan. And Harry. Did you what so and so said to her and him. It's terrible I tell you. I read that Meghan did x y and z you know. She isn't "one of us".

The Queen is totally blamess that one of her sons is a sex offender and she had to pay loads of money to his victim. 

What news papers do you recommend?

3 hours ago, David said:

I think there are more pressing things to deal with after 13 years of the Tories. If people want to celebrate, fine, not sure what we are actually celebrating and how we are meant to celebrate, but it irks that my taxes are helping to pay for it. Like Boris’s legal bills over party gate, they should pay for it themselves. As for pledging allegiance, it’s a no from me.

55 minutes ago, Archied said:

What news papers do you recommend?

Definitely not tabloids. Probably reading across Telegraph, Times, FT and Guardian would be best bet, but the first 3 are all behind paywalls.

There is maybe an argument that charging for online content creates echo chambers where you either just read the one you pay for or the Guardian as it's free. I sometimes look at Mail online for a different point of view, but it's mostly dumbed down rubbish. Like these Fox TV wannabe channels on TV too.

2 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

The cost is guesstimated right now, but as it's being paid for by the Government out of tax payer's money, the cost will eventually be published some time afterwards. It's the revenue generated through tourism that can never truly be quantified - not even close.

So you're right that it can never be compared and the "value for money" element will be subjective, so for that reason I don't really care about the figures. Just the principle of how tone-deaf the whole thing is when you look at the state of the country

Keeping up appearances, argument to be made that they have to go through with this lavish coronation to transfer the global interest from Queen to King.

Timing isn't great, I grant you that, they could also have span it where they are showing self awareness of the economy, keeping everything low key I guess.

Feels like creating a pros and cons list to stay with the Mrs or not.

7 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Definitely not tabloids. Probably reading across Telegraph, Times, FT and Guardian would be best bet, but the first 3 are all behind paywalls.

There is maybe an argument that charging for online content creates echo chambers where you either just read the one you pay for or the Guardian as it's free. I sometimes look at Mail online for a different point of view, but it's mostly dumbed down rubbish. Like these Fox TV wannabe channels on TV too.

I’ve not bought a paper for years , flick through the mail online ( it’s easy but most is just clickbait  guff) and then Google stuff that catches my eye so I get different perspectives , trouble is most sources are an echo chamber of one side or the other as you say , I get a mix of bbc , itv ,gb news and occasionally talk tv on the radio and for all the stick it gets gb news is the one that gives air to both sides of an issue , farage interview with trump the other night was pretty much as you would expect but right after they had an American ( can’t remember his name ) who is very close to Biden and hugely anti trump , (they have him on regularly ) who gave the other side , I don’t think you can get away from sources having a bit of a biased slant these days but honestly gb news is the only place I’ve see so much airtime given to both sides on issues , as for the guardian I really think it has issues but also some decent stuff too and respect to yourself as you were the ONLY one of the more left of centre posters on here to come on when I pulled the paper over the anti semetic stuff , that’s how middle ground is found 🤷🏻‍♂️

9 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Folk are being brainwashed where our daily rags are concerned, If it's in the press then it must be true, I can't remember the last time I bought something in print, If I need news then I go to the internet ie BBC/Sky news are these true...who knows🤷‍♀️

As for Dianna and Dodi and a conspiracy...look at the religion of the latter, There are some very dark arts where the UK are concerned with our Royals and Politicians and the secret services, If this was a job done by the UK and her partners it was a gamble as a car crash is not 100% to be a successes but turned out to be just that.

Were the French press at fault, Was the Chauffer pissed...as is often said...the truth is out there 😁 

12 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

Folk are being brainwashed where our daily rags are concerned, If it's in the press then it must be true, I can't remember the last time I bought something in print, If I need news then I go to the internet ie BBC/Sky news are these true...who knows🤷‍♀️

As for Dianna and Dodi and a conspiracy...look at the religion of the latter, There are some very dark arts where the UK are concerned with our Royals and Politicians and the secret services, If this was a job done by the UK and her partners it was a gamble as a car crash is not 100% to be a successes but turned out to be just that.

Were the French press at fault, Was the Chauffer pissed...as is often said...the truth is out there 😁 

The thing with me is I’m not someone who avidly reads and buys into what are called conspiracy theories but next to bugger all would surprise me , I tend to keep an open mind on this kind of stuff 

Going back on topic I think the whole swearing allegiance thing is a bit OTT but I can’t understand the hatred of the Coronation.

Sure it’s expensive and outdated but it’s part of our heritage and sets us apart from other countries who love to follow it.

I’m going to London today not out of any particular reverence of the King but because I’ll be part of a shared experience, much like my trips to PP but without people around me shouting how much they hate the opposition and where they live.

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

Going back on topic I think the whole swearing allegiance thing is a bit OTT but I can’t understand the hatred of the Coronation.

Sure it’s expensive and outdated but it’s part of our heritage and sets us apart from other countries who love to follow it.

I’m going to London today not out of any particular reverence of the King but because I’ll be part of a shared experience, much like my trips to PP but without people around me shouting how much they hate the opposition and where they live.

Let’s hope you don’t end up in the away end with the republicans and the just stop living mob 🤷🏻‍♂️