Stat Pad Derby

Bris Vegas

31 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Bolton, who we took 4 points off, or Barnsley who we have beaten 2/3 games (Inc the cup, 1 each in the league), or Wednesday who we have drawn with and are yet to play the replay with? Seems fairly well matched? 

Fair comment but what has come before is largely irrelevant. Barnsley and Bolton have both strengthened their squads since we last beat both of them. But it will all be about what comes next to decide who wins the play-offs if we get that far. All four teams will start with a clean slate and form going into the play-offs will be important. If we go in on the back of a decent run it will be a big positive but anyway we'll have all to play for with a big support behind us. Whatever will be will be.

If we make the shake-up we have to believe, but more importantly the players have to believe and that is where the management has to earn its crust.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

6 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Clearly somebody doesn’t get it.

The other teams reaching the playoffs will be desperate to face us rather than each other.

Yeah great point.

Bolton one loss and a draw against us.

Peterborough one loss and one win against us.

Barnsley one loss and one win against us.

Imagine they will all be so desperate to face us.

5 hours ago, Andicis said:

Bolton, who we took 4 points off, or Barnsley who we have beaten 2/3 games (Inc the cup, 1 each in the league), or Wednesday who we have drawn with and are yet to play the replay with? Seems fairly well matched? 

They do if you apply logic and look at head to head results, just not under Bris's new system where you can remove certain results from a season to make a team look bad.

10 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Does it not concern you that under Warne particularly we have only won two of 14 games against top half opposition?

And considering two of our final three games are against top half opposition?

And then playoff games against top 6 opposition?

You are talking about teams that have been fully established in league 1. Teams that have been playing together as a squad for some time. Teams that have had a budget and stability for some time (SW apart).

PW has had to inherit a team, who at the start of the season was put together by LR to play a certain style, certainly not PW's. So under the circumstances PW has managed a good mid to playoff team with a bunch of players who needed the first quarter of the season to get to know each other and a change of manager/style.

I would argue losing against the top six and still being where we are with what we have (an unbalanced team) is not to bad. I wonder where we would be had he had a pre-season, a budget etc?

8 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

The other teams reaching the playoffs will be desperate to face us rather than each other.

Underestimate us you mean, great!

I sort of get what you saying, although it's taken some mental gymnastics to get there.

Is there a concern we are talking about the play offs and promotion when we have a poor record against teams up there? Maybe, as I say though, underestimate us, we can use that to our advantage.

On the other hand, would it be nice to have that confidence going in we have already dismantled these teams at the top? Maybe again. However that is not a clear route to success and comes with the danger of arrogance expecting to win.

Either way you can turn the situation into a positive though depending on your mindset.

Let's not forget, they call the play offs a lottery for a reason, anything can happen. 

I'm sure if you manipulated the stats as you have, you will find many underdogs have won promotion via the play offs, be if going in on bad form or not winning against a top 6 team.

8 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

It looks like we could face Shef W over 2 legs in the play-offs and then Barnsley at Wembley. If we can’t beat them , we don’t deserve to go up.

Worth adding that 'if' we did get promoted, restrictions would probably be lifted a bit more than if we stay down.

If the recruitment team nail the summer then there's no reason why we wouldn't have a competitive team for the championship. 

The hard part is going up and that's on Warne to try and magically get us winning against good sides. But for now i don't think we should be too hard on ourselves. 

18 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

I was there. Lampard had to pick a front 3 out of Mount , Wilson, Lawrence, Bennett, Waghorn , Marriott , Neugent and Joseph’. How could anyone say our wage bill was too high?

Mount was a CM. 4 wingers for 2 positions and 3 CFs for 1 position is the typical balance most people would go for.

The issue was us having players on the wage bill who management didn't want but we couldn't get rid of - Pearce (until Jan), Olsson, Ledley (until Jan), Anya, Thorne, Butterfield, Blackman, Martin 

14 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Take away the bottom four and we drop to 10th, midtable with a GD of 0.

That’s kind of worrying.

The only thing worrying me at the moment is your mental health... and perhaps your blood pressure!

Seriously mate.  Stop worrying about imaginary scenarios, that have absolutely no chance of ever coming to fruition.

Hey... Let's face it... The only way that the bottom four can be "taken away" is if the EFL have some sort of brainwave and... oh... erm... 

6d3u7u.gif

Does seem an unnecessary amount of flak for what is a fairly interesting point - which is backed up with stats which people moan about if not there!

I.e. we may still be able sneak into the play offs but so far this season we have disproportionately taken our points (compared even to the other teams at the top) from the bottom teams - and the majority of these were in a long sequence of results. Otherwise we have struggled to take points this season.

So we are going to need to buck the trend if we hope to go up. And what that means in practice for team selection/tactics....is it that we were too defensive against average teams, not cute enough in the 2nd half to keep the points, well drilled by the manager but ultimately outmatched against the top teams?

As a starting point for a discussion I thought it was quite interesting.

Now that I've come to the realisation that this thread... and the OP... should be taken more seriously, I have extrapolated the thought process of said OP, and come to some conclusions as to why Derby County will never, ever win the FA Cup again...

1/  We were allowed to play the final against a team who had already lost earlier in the competition.  (It's true I tell yer... 3rd Round... Fulham beat Charlton 2-1 (albeit in a two-legged tie).  That alone is highly unlikely to be repeated.

2/  We had to rely on the oppo scoring our opening goal.  And... AND... we then took pity on him, and allowed him to score against us, to correct his mistake... YES!  HIS MISTAKE!  Firstly, it took 3.5 decades for that to be repeated, then only once more since... That's thrice in the history of the competition, and not at all in the most recent 3.5 decades!  Oh yeah... Plus... I seriously doubt today's money-grabbing, selfish, ungracious buzzards we be so gentlemanly, so FU, OG scorers!

3/  And all that with no friggin' air in the ball.  What are the chances, eh?  EH?    🙄

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Mount was a CM. 4 wingers for 2 positions and 3 CFs for 1 position is the typical balance most people would go for.

The issue was us having players on the wage bill who management didn't want but we couldn't get rid of - Pearce (until Jan), Olsson, Ledley (until Jan), Anya, Thorne, Butterfield, Blackman, Martin 

Mount and Lawrence make pretty good false 9’s . But my point was the wage bill must have been astronomical.

3 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Mount and Lawrence make pretty good false 9’s . But my point was the wage bill must have been astronomical.

Mount and Wilson hadn't even broken into the first team at their respective clubs, neither had Tomori, their wages wouldn't have been anywhere close to what they are on now. 

We also don't know what % contribution we were making.

Astronomical probably not, but up there with the most in the Championship, more than likely.

40 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Does seem an unnecessary amount of flak for what is a fairly interesting point - which is backed up with stats which people moan about if not there!

I.e. we may still be able sneak into the play offs but so far this season we have disproportionately taken our points (compared even to the other teams at the top) from the bottom teams - and the majority of these were in a long sequence of results. Otherwise we have struggled to take points this season.

So we are going to need to buck the trend if we hope to go up. And what that means in practice for team selection/tactics....is it that we were too defensive against average teams, not cute enough in the 2nd half to keep the points, well drilled by the manager but ultimately outmatched against the top teams?

As a starting point for a discussion I thought it was quite interesting.

Yep, just think presenting it as stat dump and as a new topic, especially after we won the last game after an apparent tactical awakening (remains to be seen if it's stuck to) was always going to attract such a response.