Stat Pad Derby

Bris Vegas

42 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Mount and Lawrence make pretty good false 9’s . But my point was the wage bill must have been astronomical.

Total club wages were £40m in 17/18 (which includes players loaned out)

Out: Vydra, Weimann, Shackell, Baird, Bent, Jerome, Hanson, Ledley (released in Jan)
In: Waghorn, Marriott, Joefzoon, Holmes, Malone, Evans, Cole and Ambrose (both signed in Jan)

Plus loans - Mount, Wilson, Tomori, King

We'll never know, but I'd be willing to bet wages remained at around £40m.
For comparison, Leeds' wage bill in the same season was £46m, then £78m in their promotion season (includes bonuses) 

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

The only real disappointments were not putting a glove on Ipswich and the battering by Barnsley in terms of results against the top sides. 

Otherwise we beat Posh, Bolton, Barnsley, drew Wednesday and would have been better today without an abysmal individual error. 

Our better results against the top sides came under Rosenior, not Warne.

We beat more top sides under Rosenior despite playing half as many games.

Winning 2 in 15 is pathetic.

7 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I know that where you live means you can’t go to games, but your posts epitomise the fact you don’t go to games. 🤦🏻‍♂️

I’m not sure if you’re talking to me but I watch every game.

In football, in any league, you won’t achieve anything unless you can beat the teams around you.

That has been our downfall this season.

@Bris Vegas I’m not convinced of the significance of the hypothesis in this or your other thread.

Burton were bottom and a poor side when we couldn’t beat them earlier in the season.

Teams have phases of form throughout the season. Yes it’s only the whole season in which you can say you played every team twice, but much can change in that time (it did for us, the long unbeaten run being a distant memory!)

If you take the form table for the last 15 games, we dropped points against Shrewsbury (23rd over that period), Bristol (19th), Wycombe (17th) and MKDons (16th)… and we ourselves are 13th on that table.

As someone posted elsewhere, we were somewhat fortunate against Barnsley and Peterborough at home- both early season wins, both apparently invoked in support of a Rosenior v Warne contrast, and in the case of Barnsley definitely won before they settled into being a much stronger and effective team.

I don’t think it’s as clear cut then as perhaps you’d like the stats to indicate.

On 07/05/2023 at 15:42, Bris Vegas said:

I’m not sure if you’re talking to me but I watch every game.

In football, in any league, you won’t achieve anything unless you can beat the teams around you.

That has been our downfall this season.

‘You won’t achieve anything’? 
so how come Sunderland could quite possibly progress to the Premier League in the play offs having snuck into them on only 69 points? Coventry only got 70? Over the 46 games, those teams must have had a very mixed bag of results, and actually had much poorer seasons than we did! 

On 19/04/2023 at 20:30, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah. It's difficult to not reply to point out the ****** of his comments. Arghhh trollstruck again! 😄

Lets face it.  He only uses these pages to practice writing 🐮💩 for his HITC articles.  Those 1975 Club America away shirts don't pay for themselves you know...

1 hour ago, Rambam said:

‘You won’t achieve anything’? 
so how come Sunderland could quite possibly progress to the Premier League in the play offs having snuck into them on only 69 points? Coventry only got 70? Over the 46 games, those teams must have had a very mixed bag of results, and actually had much poorer seasons than we did! 

Eh?

You understand that Sunderland & Coventry weren't playing in the same league as us and our respective points tallies are performance levels are completely irrelevant?

Sunderland have 'snuck' into the playoffs precisely because they could beat the teams around them - they finished above (but no more than 3 points better off than) Blackburn, Millwall & West Brom having taken 10 points directly from those opposition this season? They also beat Boro who finished above them.

...all with a team which only got promoted from the league below the season before via the playoffs (finishing 5th), which apparently is a guarantee that you'll be crap the next season because other teams were better than them.

Coventry beat all of Boro, Sheff Utd, Blackburn, West Brom, Millwall & Sunderland in the league.

Points gained against your rivals are points removed from a rivals tally. If you only ever beat teams at the bottom you're doing nothing to stop your rivals stealing a march on you.

Pretending that it doesn't matter which teams you beat just because you don't like the poster's way of pointing something out (and/or simply think they've placed far too much emphasis on certain stats) is madness.

Edited by Kokosnuss

2 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

Eh?

You understand that Sunderland & Coventry weren't playing in the same league as us and our respective points tallies are performance levels are completely irrelevant?

Sunderland have 'snuck' into the playoffs precisely because they could beat the teams around them - they finished above (but no more than 3 points better off than) Blackburn, Millwall & West Brom having taken 10 points directly from those opposition this season? They also beat Boro who finished above them.

...all with a team which only got promoted from the league below the season before via the playoffs (finishing 5th), which apparently is a guarantee that you'll be crap the next season because other teams were better than them.

Coventry beat all of Boro, Sheff Utd, Blackburn, West Brom, Millwall & Sunderland in the league.

Points gained against your rivals are points removed from a rivals tally. If you only ever beat teams at the bottom you're doing nothing to stop your rivals stealing a march on you.

Pretending that it doesn't matter which teams you beat just because you don't like the poster's way of pointing something out (and/or simply think they've placed far too much emphasis on certain stats) is madness.

How does that compare for us? Well the results are pretty even, as you'd expect for teams of 'similar' ability.

Peterborough - won 1, lost 1
Bolton - won 1, drew 1
Barnsley - won 1, lost 1
Sheff Weds - drew 1, lost 1
Overall - won 3, drew 2, lost 3

Loss to Peterborough - stonewall penalty denied when White was fouled in the box when 1-0 down.
Draw with Bolton - another stonewall penalty denied as Barkhuizen barged over in the corner of the box off with the defender making no effort to win the ball
Draw with Sheff Weds - Sibley's ear almost pulled off by their player, ref didn't even acknowledge it happened.
Loss to Sheff Weds -  dodgy penalty awarded against us, red card, and a rugby tackle on Forsyth being ignored

5 games against our playoff rivals which we didn't win, and big errors made in 4 of them, where just 1 goal in each of those games would have given us an extra 6 points.

If you bring the top 2 into it, results were more extreme (4 losses). However, against Ipswich, we had a perfectly good equaliser ruled out, and against Plymouth we had yet another dodgy penalty awarded against us. That's potentially another 2 points due to poor refereeing.