Fleetwood Home Sat 18th March 3.00pm

hintonsboots

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You keep repeating that you want us to sign the kind of player we are unlikely to be able to sign given the current 'business plan' we operate under. Do you really think you are the only one who thinks we need other players in the squad? ?

So there’s the crux of it, you think we’ll be unable to sign them, I’ve explained my rationale as to why I think we will. What is your reasoned argument as to why we won’t? 
I’ll give you a hypothetical scenario to further illustrate my point. Say we don’t get promoted, last summer has shown we can compete with most clubs at this level for wages and can offer better than most given the calibre of some of our current players. If Davies and Stearman depart/retire in the summer we’ll have their wages free to reinvest, there is every chance of us using those wages to sign a centre half or two on a free transfer from a non-league, league two, league one or championship club who could comparitively be younger, more mobile and stronger than those two are at this stage in their careers. How is that unrealistic? It’s perfectly logical and more than likely probable in my eyes. If you or anyone else can explain with reason how and why we definitely won’t be able to make such signings then I’ll concede.

1 minute ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

If you or anyone else can explain with reason how and why we definitely won’t be able to make such signings then I’ll concede.

We will be looking at (unless the business plan changes) no fees, no transfer fees, no loan fees, no agents fees and just two year contracts. So yeah I guess we could sign some cracking players like we have done, but I bet your mythical skilful, physical athletic midfielder won't be one of them...but who knows.

6 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

We were poor against Lincoln. Against 10 men and we still couldn't win. Giving up a 2 goal lead at home to Shrewsbury. And today (as others have said) taking all things under consideration, if we have ever played worse in our history I cannot ever remember ,certainly not in any home game.

Didn’t Sibley hit the post and McGoldrick have a winning goal marginally and contentiously ruled out for offside v Lincoln?

Didn’t Dobbin force the keeper into a last gasp save v Shrewsbury? Didn’t we squander chances in the first half to go 3-0 up and put the game out of sight?

On another day, we win both games. I stand by what I said. We’re having a wobble but today is the only really alarming result and performance in this current run.

The fact it took us until the 70th minute or so to get a corner, and the 80th minute for a shot on target is appalling.

Meanwhile we had to defend around 7 or 8 corners during this time frame. 

The football is atrocious. Hit the ball into a channel and hope our oil tanker striker runs onto it or one of our wingers didn’t come short.

I just didn’t see any plan today, that is what disappoints me.

7 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Not even the Phil Brown / Dean Holdsworth / Stern John / Kevin Poole fiasco? I’m still booing that one. If it wasn’t for the fans reaction we might well have stuck with Phil Brown that season and ended up getting relegated. 

Remember being at Coventry when Tango Man got the worst abuse I have ever heard. I felt a bit sorry for him.

Well rubbish drive home in pouring rain, of course today. Been mulling it over and muttering on drive home. Still gobsmacked by that. Just where was the effort at all? Its like a totally different team. I generally dont mention just one player but if James Collins could concentrate on actually playing football and trying to read the game and intentions of team mates and not fouling, gobbing off and narrowly avoiding fights he may offer more

Just now, Jourdan said:

Didn’t Sibley hit the post and McGoldrick have a winning goal marginally and contentiously ruled out for offside v Lincoln?

Didn’t Dobbin force the keeper into a last gasp save v Shrewsbury? Didn’t we squander chances in the first half to go 3-0 up and put the game out of sight?

On another day, we win both games. I stand by what I said. We’re having a wobble but today is the only really alarming result and performance in this current run.

No not at all. The first alarming result (and performance) was defeat at Wycombe. Our first real test and we blew it. Ditto Barnsley. Ditto Plymouth. We had a goal ruled out for offside against Lincoln, but the goal we scored was offside. We were playing against 10 men. At home. To Lincoln. No excuses this is shambolic. 

1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

It’s not so much about being representative of recent performances, but as the culmination of a downward trend.  I think we’ve been getting slowly worse, pretty much since the Cheltenham away game.  We’ve stopped keeping clean sheets and started conceding sloppy goals. We’ve stopped playing through midfield and started hitting aimless long balls all game. We’ve started giving the ball away cheaply.  We’ve stopped pressing as aggressively and so on and so on. That hasn’t always translated into poor results, in part because we have good players that can bail us out (Dobbin away at Port Vale, for example).  But we can’t keep playing below par and winning, and it’s starting to catch up to us IMO.

You’ve been banging the Warne tactics Warne team selection drum for a while now, fair play it’s your opinion. With our small squad we were always going to have a dip. Birds injury was a major factor in us stopping playing through midfield. However that being said, Shrewsbury first half was the best performance of the season and we played through midfield. Plymouth first half was our best away performance of the season and overall we didn’t deserve to lose that game. So performances haven’t all been bad therefore don’t agree with your assessment.

However I didn’t see that coming today. I didn’t think we were capable of that and it’s a huge reality check. I’ve been confident for a long time playoffs are done and dusted, as I had full confidence in our ability to dispatch teams at home and pick up enough points away. However today’s result puts some pressure on the Peterborough game now and we really could do with a response. For the first time since November I don’t feel playoffs are secure. We need to improve - no question.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

We will be looking at (unless the business plan changes) no fees, no transfer fees, no loan fees, no agents fees and just two year contracts. So yeah I guess we could sign some cracking players like we have done, but I bet your mythical skilful, physical athletic midfielder won't be one of them...but who knows.

I really don’t get where your take on my comments has come from. None of what I have said is irrational, or fantastical or mythical or anything else. I didn’t suggest we sign Rodri from Man City or Van Dijk from Liverpool.

I’m not talking about myth. I’ve expressed an opinion that if possible I’d like more athleticism and physicality added to the squad to complement our technical players. I’ve very clearly explained my rationale (repeatedly), it’s based in logic and fact given that we managed to recruit capable professionals under those same restrictions this season and that there will be a pool of players available to us in the summer. Let’s see how the summer plays out then revisit this one and maybe you’ll get to gloat and say a big I told you so ??‍♂️ 

7 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

...On another day, we win both games. I stand by what I said. We’re having a wobble but today is the only really alarming result and performance in this current run.

No. What I find alarming is Warne's reaction and excuses. I agreed with your previous (ages back) comment about Warne seemingly knowing what was needed and what worked, but today?

2 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Let’s see how the summer plays out then revisit this one and maybe you’ll get to gloat and say a big I told you so ??‍♂️ 

You seem to want to make this personal, I have no interest whatsoever in gloating. All I care about (in this respect) is Derby County. Not point scoring.

2 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I really don’t get where your take on my comments has come from. None of what I have said is irrational, or fantastical or mythical or anything else. I didn’t suggest we sign Rodri from Man City or Van Dijk from Liverpool.

I’m not talking about myth. I’ve expressed an opinion that if possible I’d like more athleticism and physicality added to the squad to complement our technical players. I’ve very clearly explained my rationale (repeatedly), it’s based in logic and fact given that we managed to recruit capable professionals under those same restrictions this season and that there will be a pool of players available to us in the summer. Let’s see how the summer plays out then revisit this one and maybe you’ll get to gloat and say a big I told you so ??‍♂️ 

Not sure I want Van D, seems off his game…

1 minute ago, PistoldPete said:

No not at all. The first alarming result (and performance) was defeat at Wycombe. Our first real test and we blew it. Ditto Barnsley. Ditto Plymouth. We had a goal ruled out for offside against Lincoln, but the goal we scored was offside. We were playing against 10 men. At home. To Lincoln. No excuses this is shambolic. 

Shambolic? Making excuses?

Did you expect us to romp away with the league and never have a loss, or a bad, uncharacteristic performance?

During this run, we’ve come out on the wrong side in three tough games, two of which we could have drawn on another day.

We’ve dropped points in three would be routine home games, two of which we could have won on another day.

Yes, we have to improve but save the hyperbole for May, please.

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

I am not defending today. But prior to today, I think you can justifiably defend what he has done.

No, as I say the rot set in at Wycombe the team selection was wrong for that game and then he picked the exact same team against Lincoln and surprise surprise we were poor then too. 

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

You seem to want to make this personal, I have no interest whatsoever in gloating. All I care about (in this respect) is Derby County. Not point scoring.

I explained what I’d like to see added to the squad to make us better, how I think that would benefit us, and how I think it can be achieved. You chose to respond to that point and challenge my view, implying I didn’t rate our current players and wanted to replace them with cloggers. Used terms like “wish” and “mythical” in response to what I believe are sensible well reasoned points. “Betting” my expectations won’t be met in the summer etc. 

I genuinely think you should revisit the tone and choice of your language and see who is making it personal. Suggesting someone’s views are linked to myth and wish fulfilment steps into the realm of making it personal in my view Roy. 

Just now, Caerphilly Ram said:

I genuinely think you should revisit the tone and choice of your language and see who is making it personal. Suggesting someone’s views are linked to myth and wish fulfilment steps into the realm of making it personal in my view Roy. 

I asked how we would sign the type of player you were describing, you chose to ignore that. I never disagreed that the type of player that you described and I described wouldn't be the kind of player to add to the squad. I asked how, you ignored that. You then talked of gloating - I don't give a monkey's scrotum if you are right and we sign the most talented physical midfielder yet conceived. It's about Derby, you see?! ?

4 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I explained what I’d like to see added to the squad to make us better, how I think that would benefit us, and how I think it can be achieved. You chose to respond to that point and challenge my view, implying I didn’t rate our current players and wanted to replace them with cloggers. Used terms like “wish” and “mythical” in response to what I believe are sensible well reasoned points. “Betting” my expectations won’t be met in the summer etc. 

So you think a Barry Bannan type playmaker in midfield is what we are missing ?

3 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

No, as I say the rot set in at Wycombe the team selection was wrong for that game and then he picked the exact same team against Lincoln and surprise surprise we were poor then too. 

Surprise surprise?

Just before Wycombe away we had won six in a row and were 15 unbeaten.

Just before Wycombe away, the same XI had beaten Morecambe 5-0.

But OK, clearly you know better than the manager.

I think you are being very harsh on Warne and the players.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

I asked how we would sign the type of player you were describing, you chose to ignore that. I never disagreed that the type of player that you described and I described wouldn't be the kind of player to add to the squad. I asked how, you ignored that. You then talked of gloating - I don't give a monkey's scrotum if you are right and we sign the most talented physical midfielder yet conceived. It's about Derby, you see?! ?

When did I ignore it? I have definitely made several posts now explaining that the recruitment personnel we have in place stand a chance of identifying players from a number of clubs across different leagues who will be available on free transfers. Along with our ability to offer competitive wages, the chance to train and play at top facilities in front of big crowds and for some perhaps a chance to step up a league or two gives us every chance of signing the type of player we need to further improve the squad. 
If I’m in the wrong I’m happy to admit it, you’ve asked me how I think we can sign those players…I’ve answered, your suggestion that I haven’t is wrong. You asked how we coped without them on the unbeaten run as an edit on your post after I’d started to reply so I missed it at first answered it a post or two later. I’ve engaged in a reasonable exchange explaining my view, yes I suggested you may want to gloat in reply to your choice of language in “betting my mythical midfielder won’t be signed” (paraphrased). You seem very keen to pick fault and disprove what I feel is a very sensible view, so yes I think you’re making it personal, maybe I was wrong to say you wanted to gloat but I’m only human and definitely feel attacked for something fairly innocuous. Ultimately you’re right of course, all that matters is Derby.