Gary Lineker

Day

Lineker can’t be surprised as he’s sailed close to the wind for years knowing full well his views were causing friction with his employers - doing a good job of courting social media likes without going far enough to justify any pressure to sack him.

I’ve always liked Lineker, loved him for England and have always rated him as a presenter. Whilst You always have to be careful with politics in the workplace, you have to respect anyone who wears their heart on their sleeve on issues they are passionate about and I certainly don’t believe in forced apologies.

I do think Lineker (who isn’t daft) may have misjudged this one though… he will know full well the controversy he was gonna cause by invoking 1930s Germany- something which has to be well thought out - not easy on twitter with limited characters (better for sniping than making a reasonable argument). Whatever he was trying to point out and however valid, his argument has been lost as we are now talking about cancel culture and bbc impartiality rather than any lack of humanity in immigration policy. He’s also lost his job, which is all very well as he’s old enough and rich enough not to need a long term career or the money - though others who work in the studio and production of MOTD (who will on much more modest money) could suffer should they permanently ditch the punditry.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Seems you do a lot of guessing.

So I'll take that as a no.

Already said I have absolutely no issue with the comments Lineker has made by the way and I'm glad he still has a platform where he can make them, unlike the right wingers who seem to be de-platformed when they say something that the left don't like.

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not offended in the slightest, I'd be more offended if he was actually silenced (which he clearly hasnt been). 

I'd like his comments to become more public actually so a grown up discussion can be had about them and his hypocrisy questioned.

I'm not being exactly serious now either, nor do I really believe that you are sat in your armchair seething! I'd simply much rather we just poke fun at one another for our often silly divides, than be at each other's throats. 

On a serious note though, he's not suggesting the Tories are akin to a regime that practiced genocide, as you seem to imply. What he is suggesting, is that their rhetoric is comparable. It may appear a subtle distinction, but it's really not and whether some on here like it or not, there are millions in this country who agree with that assertion. 

#wokietilidie

7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So I'll take that as a no.

Already said I have absolutely no issue with the comments Lineker has made by the way and I'm glad he still has a platform where he can make them, unlike the right wingers who seem to be de-platformed when they say something that the left don't like.

You're that sure, but you're guessing. Lol. 

13 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

“What is the difference between the Hindenberg and a sports pundit. Nothing, they are both full of hot air, and will ultimately crash and burn”

Adolf Hitler, Berlin, May 6, 1937.

He's 'crashed and burned' his way into a £4 million townhouse and a £30 million fortune.

Hitler had to fake his own death and seek penniless refuge in Bournemouth.

2 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I'm not being exactly serious now either, nor do I really believe that you are sat in your armchair seething! I'd simply much rather we just poke fun at one another for our often silly divides, than be at each other's throats. 

On a serious note though, he's not suggesting the Tories are akin to a regime that practiced genocide, as you seem to imply. What he is suggesting, is that their rhetoric is comparable. It may appear a subtle distinction, but it's really not and whether some on here like it or not, there are millions in this country who agree with that assertion. 

#wokietilidie

That's fair enough but I'd rather people didn't trivialise the Nazi regime by making off the cuff comparisons to it and I imagine families of the 6 million people murdered may feel the same.

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

That's fair enough but I'd rather people didn't trivialise the Nazi regime by making off the cuff comparisons to it and I imagine families of the 6 million people murdered may feel the same.

Honestly G-Star, so would I. I understand the point he's making and I concur, though I'm not convinced the way it's couched is terribly helpful. 

I'm going to leave it there. On a break with the lads and sun is out and fast approaching the yard arm! 

2 hours ago, Blondest Goat said:

It's exactly the same isn't it?  The BBC taking 11 pundits to Qatar for the World Cup affects our day to day lives about as much as leaving the European union doesn't it?

Oh come on ,, your post was about droning on about stuff months later ,,, we had a vote ( rightly or wrongly ??‍♂️) and people are droning on years later 

Just now, PistoldPete said:

A fairly innocuous comment? Comparing Tory policies to Nazi Germany is not innocuous. He lost me at that point. Do any of the BBC execs express their political views in that way? Of course they are allowed to have political views , but not push them to 8 million twitter followers

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it'----George Santayana From his work; Life of Reason, Reason in Common Sense 1905. It should be noted that William Shirer included the quote as an epigraph in his literary work The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich in 1959. The book was extremely popular when it was published and as such could have lended a hand in the popularity of the quote.

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

We can disagree on this, no problem. My question is, putting aside personal feelings, do you think his tweet and subsequent reluctance to take it back would justify a sacking from the BBC?

It very much shouldn’t but we have moved into a state of affairs where it’s the done thing so you either sack him or stop doing it to others , it’s really that simple