Prostrate Cancer.

4 hours ago, SirBrian said:

Having had bowl and prostrate scares and having the camera checks every year for 3 years cut down to every 2 years now not at all, just a blood test every 12 months for the prostrate, and told to monitor myself if i see any sign of blood contact the Doctor. They took a polop which was growing inside of me over 4cm long, you have no idea they are growing inside your body for there is no pain.

Check your pee any sign of blood however slight contact your doctor.

Check your poo any sign of blood however slight contact your doctor.

Echo this

my family sadly have a horrendous history of bowel cancer. We lost my dear dad 5 years ago to it at the tender age of 62 having been diagnosed at only 58.

iv had several polyps pulled from me now but as undignified as it all is i know the alternative is a lot worse. Iv got young kids and to put them through what i as a 40 yo went through with my dad far far far outweighs any embarrassment of having a camera in my ass.

Any doubts, bloating, pain after eating , irregular bowel habbits, blood in poo, go… go and get checked out

probably nothing, but dont give fate a chance 

On 07/03/2023 at 17:12, Jimbo Ram said:

Bit needle phobic….likely to be prostrate after some of those ?

I think you're lying. TBH - grammar pedant that I am my whole body was tingling wanting to remind you lot it's Prostate, not Prostrate but then I kind of told myself that this is people talking about pretty serious stuff (well, everyone except @i-Ram).

Factsfor the day: 

• About 2% of all men will die of prostate cancer
  • It is the second biggest male cancer killer
  • 50% of men over the age of 90 will die with it, if not of it
  • Your likelihood to get high grade prostate cancer doubles every ten years
  • Which means, by my maths, if you live to 110 you will be 200% likely to get it (I've obviously got something wrong in there)

I went to the quacks seven years ago for my regular BP check and it was unusually high (I have been on meds for 30 years for high BP), he sent me for blood tests which revealed that I had problems with my kidneys which was the source of the problem. Suspicious, he gave me a PSA test which was 153, yes one hundred and fifty three!! On receipt of the test result he rang me at 8am in the morning and told me to go straight to the Royal Derby. I asked him why and he said its a matter of life and death! They were already waiting for me on urology and immediately catheterised me to drain off excess urine I was retaining.  I was admitted and had all the tests, biopsies etc mentioned by others. 

To cut along story short I had high grade cancer which had spread to the lymph nodes, seminal vessels and elsewhere locally, I was given two to Six years if subsequent treatment worked. I had surgery,  38 sessions of RT and hormone treatment. Fortunately, it worked and I am still here some seven years later! I have regular check ups and am now 76.

I had no symptoms, so get checked! 

48 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

I think you're lying. TBH - grammar pedant that I am my whole body was tingling wanting to remind you lot it's Prostate, not Prostrate but then I kind of told myself that this is people talking about pretty serious stuff (well, everyone except @i-Ram).

Factsfor the day: 

• Which means, by my maths, if you live to 110 you will be 200% likely to get it (I've obviously got something wrong in there)

I am needle phobic to be fair and was just a gentle reminder. Agree it is a serious subject. I have some health issues of my own, been waiting to see a neurologist for 8 months ?

54 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Factsfor the day: 

It is definitely serious stuff. Go get yourself checked!!!!

At my last prostate examination I asked where I should put my trousers and pants. "Next to mine" was not the answer I had been expecting.

3 hours ago, i-Ram said:

It is definitely serious stuff. Go get yourself checked!!!!

At my last prostate examination I asked where I should put my trousers and pants. "Next to mine" was not the answer I had been expecting.

Last time I went I wouldn't say the doctor was enthusiastic but when the report came back it said I needed two fillings and a crown.

The PSA test is reputed to be such a sledgehammer and give so many false positives that it seems to be widely disregarded by GP practices in this area.

I asked my GP for a test shortly after my 60th. He was really reluctant as I was asymptomatic.  I said no matter how unreliable the test is, surely having a base level to compare with in the future was worthwhile?  He eventually relented and I was relieved my test results came back at 1.8.  A friend of ours was at over 400!

1 hour ago, Ram Logan Josh said:

The PSA test is reputed to be such a sledgehammer and give so many false positives that it seems to be widely disregarded by GP practices in this area.

I asked my GP for a test shortly after my 60th. He was really reluctant as I was asymptomatic.  I said no matter how unreliable the test is, surely having a base level to compare with in the future was worthwhile?  He eventually relented and I was relieved my test results came back at 1.8.  A friend of ours was at over 400!

Very sensible to insist on a test Ram, I never used give it a thought but my experience should be a red flag to anyone who ignores the insidious nature of Prostate Cancer. I am pleased to say that my latest review included a PSA of zero. Long may it continue! 

On 07/03/2023 at 17:49, Ewe Ram said:

Those who are under 55 may be happy to know they have decommissioned the automatic invitations to the unpleasant colonoscopies. 
They are very good as a tool for early detection, but ultimately too expensive I suppose. 
Everyone will now only get the stool tests through the post, but every 2 years. 
Gentlemen, never ignore anything that’s happening out of the ordinary, we may give you a hard time but we love you really and want you to be around as long as possible. 

Yes I do this, It's sent to Notts University, Not a pleasant job but one that needs to be done ??, The 1st time I did it trying to get the stool in the post box was very difficult, I had to break the legs and Sellotape them to the seat ? 

11 hours ago, Ram Logan Josh said:

This has been my experience too!

Constant adverts on TV to get checked out yet the medical profession is reluctant.

I was asked to speak to a doctor and because I had no symptoms they wouldn’t give me a test.

I may end up going private.

Good luck DGB and to all those who have, or think they might have, this disease.

Just turned 69. Been having 2 yearly stool checks since I was 55 here in NL. The most recent was 2 weeks ago. Negative, thankfully. Unfortunately, once you get past 75 they don't send you the test kits any longer.

I managed to avoid what @BaaLocks failed to do. The English teacher in me (not literally @Mucker1884 ) wanted to comment but common sense won the day.

Several have said "blood from either front or back, get checked". I endorse those comments. Better safe than sorry. Basically, if you don't look after you, nobody else will...

3 hours ago, MadAmster said:

Just turned 69. Been having 2 yearly stool checks since I was 55 here in NL. The most recent was 2 weeks ago. Negative, thankfully. Unfortunately, once you get past 75 they don't send you the test kits any longer.

I managed to avoid what @BaaLocks failed to do. The English teacher in me (not literally @Mucker1884 ) wanted to comment but common sense won the day.

Several have said "blood from either front or back, get checked". I endorse those comments. Better safe than sorry. Basically, if you don't look after you, nobody else will...

You can on reaching 75 request further test kits.

22 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Factsfor the day: 

Correct, I can only blame myself for not checking, and predicted spelling for being lax, and lazy.??

On 07/03/2023 at 14:55, SirBrian said:

Having had bowl and prostrate scares and having the camera checks every year for 3 years cut down to every 2 years now not at all, just a blood test every 12 months for the prostrate, and told to monitor myself if i see any sign of blood contact the Doctor. They took a polop which was growing inside of me over 4cm long, you have no idea they are growing inside your body for there is no pain.

Check your pee any sign of blood however slight contact your doctor.

Check your poo any sign of blood however slight contact your doctor.

I had a colonoscopy last week. Go to go back in next week to get 2 polyps and a  lesion removed and biopsied. Get checked out folks