Away form

Bris Vegas

We have made great strides under Paul Warne, including five wins on the road against Accrington, Cambridge, MK Dons, Cheltenham and Port Vale.

But defeats to Ipswich and Wycombe, plus draws with Pompey and Bolton mean our biggest away scalp this season is Port Vale in 15th.

I’d feel a lot more confident about our playoff chances with a decent win away.

3 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

We have made great strides under Paul Warne, including five wins on the road against Accrington, Cambridge, MK Dons, Cheltenham and Port Vale.

But defeats to Ipswich and Wycombe, plus draws with Pompey and Bolton mean our biggest away scalp this season is Port Vale in 15th.

It will come buddy trust me title fight still on 4 of 5 games all at home.

24 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Yeah I don’t think we have won enough games away from home . And it doesn’t look like we will. 

I don’t think the away form is a concern.

We have won five, drawn four and lost just two in 11 away league games under Warne.

Plymouth have won five in 15 away from home across the entire season and they have been in the top two for the majority of the season.

Realistically, we don’t need an ‘away scalp’. It’s still just three points at the end of the day.

If we maintain our home form and win consistently at home, we only need to make ourselves difficult to beat on our travels. We have been achieving that, with today being just a minor blip hopefully.

There’s no need to panic, nor should we unless the home wins start to dry up.

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

If today was a play off leg away from home and say Wednesday we had these at home I’d still be pretty confident… but yes obviously if we want to be successful in the long run we need to beat the better sides away 

17 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Do you mean our chances of getting into the playoffs or our chances when we do achieve that?

If it's the latter then an away draw and home win would suffice don't need to win away and if it's the former our current home form will be enough to get us there 

Edited by Tyler Durden

On 12/02/2023 at 12:16, Tyler Durden said:

Do you mean our chances of getting into the playoffs or our chances when we do achieve that?

If it's the latter then an away draw and home win would suffice don't need to win away and if it's the former our current home form will be enough to get us there 

Apparently, it's not too shabby when you lose the home leg, but then win the away leg by an ever-so-slightly larger margin.
I've heard great nights have been had... on the one occasion that's happened!  ?

On 11/02/2023 at 19:09, Bris Vegas said:

Top 6 is nailed on. Even tempted to bet my house on it (though I never would obviously).

Beating those top 6 contenders away from home is what would turn us into serious top 2 contenders.

1 hour ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Top 6 is nailed on. Even tempted to bet my house on it (though I never would obviously).

Beating those top 6 contenders away from home is what would turn us into serious top 2 contenders.

Steady on. Let’s not tempt fate. 

Whilst we’re in a good position and probably favourites or second favourites to reach the play offs, I don’t think there is anyway on earth that top 6 is nailed on just yet. (Cue a certain poster into accusing me of not being positive enough but I’m just trying to keep my feet on the ground and not get carried away).

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Whilst we’re in a good position and probably favourites or second favourites to reach the play offs, I don’t think there is anyway on earth that top 6 is nailed on just yet. (Cue a certain poster into accusing me of not being positive enough but I’m just trying to keep my feet on the ground and not get carried away).

There is still work to be done, absolutely. We have to hold our nerve and get to the 80-85 point mark as soon as we can.

Just based on the sheer number of games we play in a short time and how small our squad is, we can safely predict that this will be difficult for us.

There will inevitably be slip ups along the way. We have some really tough games coming into the final stretch which will be especially tough if we don’t apply ourselves correctly or suffer an injury crisis. A six point advantage can certainly be whittled down pretty easily if we lose our heads.

Tomorrow night will tell us a lot about the team. If we bounce back quickly and with a vengeance, it will be very encouraging.

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Nailed on. We’re dispatching the rubbish teams at home. We’ve got mostly midtable bottom half at PP for remainder of season. We could probably get playoffs without winning another away game all season. We’re at worst the 4th best team in this league 

5 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Nailed on. We’re dispatching the rubbish teams at home. We’ve got mostly midtable bottom half at PP for remainder of season. We could probably get playoffs without winning another away game all season. We’re at worst the 4th best team in this league 

I don’t think we can take anything for granted or get complacent at this stage.

You are right that we are fortunate to have some favourable home games in the run in and if we get back to what we’ve been doing during the unbeaten run, we should still finish strongly. But that’s still an if.

Form can change very abruptly and a few bad results could unsettle us and with games every 3-4 days, it could become a problem.

We still need 27 points to reach the 80 point mark. The equivalent of nine wins. That’s no small matter. It will require focus and application.

10 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Let’s hope you’re right. I guess I’ve been through the mill too many times with Derby to be quite so bullish.

Who can forget the final game of the 2014/2015 season when we only needed a draw at home against a 19th placed Reading to finish 5th and secure our play off place. We lost 3:0 and finished in 8th place.

11 hours ago, Jourdan said:

We still need 27 points to reach the 80 point mark. The equivalent of nine wins. That’s no small matter. It will require focus and application.

Stats don't really mean much but.... We have averaged 1.8275 points a game so far this season. Obviously doing better at home than away. Of the 17 remaining games we have 9 at home and 8 away. Keep up the average and we'll get 31 points, putting us on 84 at the end of the season.

Time will tell

7 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Let’s hope you’re right. I guess I’ve been through the mill too many times with Derby to be quite so bullish.

Who can forget the final game of the 2014/2015 season when we only needed a draw at home against a 19th placed Reading to finish 5th and secure our play off place. We lost 3:0 and finished in 8th place.

Huge difference, this is league 1 not the championship where genuinely anyone can (and does regularly beat anyone). If this were the championship I’d agree entirely as we have too many scars, one of which you’ve just pointed out. That team was so out of form and limping to the line, it was also flying at about a this point of the season so take your point and understand the cautiousness. 

There is a huge gulf in quality between the top 8 and the rest of this league. 

Id be genuinely stunned if we didn’t even make the playoffs. 

17 hours ago, Jourdan said:

I don’t think we can take anything for granted or get complacent at this stage.

You are right that we are fortunate to have some favourable home games in the run in and if we get back to what we’ve been doing during the unbeaten run, we should still finish strongly. But that’s still an if.

Form can change very abruptly and a few bad results could unsettle us and with games every 3-4 days, it could become a problem.

I’m not sure it’s an if yet, we’ve lost one game which on another day we’d have won.  We still caused problems, created chances and we know this team is solid. It would take a drastic downturn in form similar to Rooney’s first season to prevent us getting playoffs. It would be a surprise to say the least. I accept now with the good form under Rooney the stats weren’t backing it up and ultimately the downturn came. We’re   at least top 3 or 4 in most of the key stats which gives me confidence we won’t suffer a major drop in form, alongside bar the top 8 this is a poor league. If we can win some of these tough away games, I still don’t think top 2 is out of the question. 

Injuries could be a factor but even with a small squad we’ve dealt well with this so far.

1 hour ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Huge difference, this is league 1 not the championship where genuinely anyone can (and does regularly beat anyone). If this were the championship I’d agree entirely as we have too many scars, one of which you’ve just pointed out. That team was so out of form and limping to the line, it was also flying at about a this point of the season so take your point and understand the cautiousness. 

There is a huge gulf in quality between the top 8 and the rest of this league. 

Id be genuinely stunned if we didn’t even make the playoffs. 

Reading were hardly in a rich vein of form having gone 12 games without a win. However, I’m inclined to agree with you but, on the other hand, you only have to look at tonight’s opponents. Lincoln sit 13th but have already won away at Barnsley and Ipswich. 

I’d be surprised if, given the position we’ve managed to put ourselves in, we now missed out on the play offs but it’s certainly not nailed on IMO.

Playoffs aren't nailed on just yet. I think our home form guarantees we'll be in the thick of it but we do need to win a few more away from home to be sure of a playoff spot. It could be our team tires, or we get a few injuries and our form drops back down to earth. Personally, I think we'll finish 4th and get to the final whether we'll win that or not I wouldn't want to say. However, it would not massively surprise me if we finish 7th either.