Have Derby County been treated unfairly by the EFL

Curtains

3 hours ago, MadAmster said:

...Several months later, the EFL introduced a new rule disallowing the methodology DCFC had used. Yes, that's right. They made a rule to stop anyone else doing it. So, why did we get found guilty. The answer is that they have, alongside the specific rules, a catch all get out clause to the effect that they can decide something is wrong if they feel like it. In this case DCFC was using a different amortisation methodology to the rest of the Championship sides and that was, somehow, despite being legal, unfair to the other clubs.

Did we get shafted? IMO most definitely. Why were we shafted? Again, this is a personal opinion. MM had ruffled too many EFL feathers and was involved in a spat with another SBC club chairman and together they saw a way to "get their own back".

Move to 2023 and it seems Chelsea are doing the same, or something very similar. UEFA will be changing their rules next season to stop anybody else doing it. Chelsea have got in first and will get away with it.

Strangely enough, I'm glad someone got burnt, unhappy it was us but I sincerely hope that the EFL and PL (hopefully UEFA and FIFA too) change the rules in order to ensure no other club can get into the situation we were in.  

Was it in the EFL rules? Yes, and then they put specifics in there. There is no way to cover every specific in the rules cf offside rules.

IMHO we were caught by the fact Mel Morris pissed too many people off. Unfair, meh nope.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Was it in the EFL rules? Yes, and then they put specifics in there. There is no way to cover every specific in the rules cf offside rules.

IMHO we were caught by the fact Mel Morris pissed too many people off. Unfair, meh nope.

You really don’t get it do you. 

Even if Mel did piss people off at the EFL over TV deals etc the vindictiveness of the EFL and other clubs was unjustified to such an extent.

I have news for the EFL they pissed me off as did Boro and Wycombe.

https://www.football365.com/news/opinion-derby-county-vs-efl-not-story-vendetta

Edited by Curtains
Missing word and link added

“We are aware that Derby County consider the claims to be spurious, but despite this, the current bidders appear unwilling to assume the risk of defending them.  In contrast, Middlesbrough FC and Wycombe Wanderers consider the claims to have merit, and that their rights will be adversely affected if Derby County can extinguish or compromise the claims using the insolvency process”

From EFL statement 

22 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

It was - their rules say (paraphrase) and anything else we think of.

Can't say that this is getting the Club anywhere, does it make you feel better @Reggie Greenwood? #COYR

It was a statement of fact. There was no rule. Plus a catch all statement has no basis in law when I did my exams. 
Whether either Mr Clowes or Mr Morris want to take it further is a matter for them whatever any of us think 

Edited by Reggie Greenwood
Added a bit

20 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Yes we were treated unfairly by the EFL. Changed the rules retrospectively then punished us with -9 points, other clubs allowed to circumvent FFP with no come back (our neighbours down the road being one), changed the rules to help clubs out during COVID, we should have had our points reduced, we didn’t. Throw in administration-12 points and then a 2 year business plan which has no purpose other than to restrict our ability to compete, it’s nothing to do with whether we can run sustainably. I agree with a points deduction for administration but the 2 year business plan as well is ridiculously harsh. Yes we have been treated unfairly.

The reason we have been treated unfairly by the EFL is Mel Morris, he pissed them off, he pissed off Steve Gibson and the EFL allowed him to wage war against Mel and Derby. We also now know the reason Derby didn’t file their accounts for years was not really due to the EFL action, it was Mel concealing the real situation from the outside world and fans that he was no longer paying the bills.

Yes we were treated harshly and continue to be, All roads for our plight lead to Morris, if he’d never darkened our door we’d still be a championship club, possibly better. Thankfully we are now on the rise again with a sensible relatable owner and a relatable passionate and capable management team. I really hope Clowes and Warne can take us all the way to the prem and keep us there with team spirit and work ethic alongside a sensible transfer policy and not the ridiculous approach Forest have taken (it will come back to bite them if not this year then at some point in the next 2 or 3 - look at Everton)

I did not agree points they had flaming grounds and at the dc and other thing both said that efl had no ground to take points off us and then all they could do was fine us 100k but then lost 3 appeals but 4th time lucky. And all because banker gibson and wycombe owner. Money grabbing git. And even now still after more money off us.

All it was sour freaking grabes all because were never good enough to stay up and even before they were not even in league 1 I think league 2 before they got promation to league one.

I will never ever ever ever forgive the freaking efl for what done to our club.

One thing chuckled me last night curtis davies and max bird put image on twitter saying f efl on computer screen.

That shows just how much they love the club and derby county and curtis davies stayed even through he could have gone to mk Don's he stayed with us.

If and when we get promation to the champership he might see it as job done and maybe he may leave or hang up his boots and go into coaching into under 21s or even under 18s and they have one hell of leader to.learn from.

Mighty derby county lives and now we are thriving which is showing m

4 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

I did not agree points they had flaming grounds and at the dc and other thing both said that efl had no ground to take points off us and then all they could do was fine us 100k but then lost 3 appeals but 4th time lucky. And all because banker gibson and wycombe owner. Money grabbing git. And even now still after more money off us.

All it was sour freaking grabes all because were never good enough to stay up and even before they were not even in league 1 I think league 2 before they got promation to league one.

I will never ever ever ever forgive the freaking efl for what done to our club.

One thing chuckled me last night curtis davies and max bird put image on twitter saying f efl on computer screen.

That shows just how much they love the club and derby county and curtis davies stayed even through he could have gone to mk Don's he stayed with us.

If and when we get promation to the champership he might see it as job done and maybe he may leave or hang up his boots and go into coaching into under 21s or even under 18s and they have one hell of leader to.learn from.

Mighty derby county lives and now we are thriving which is showing m

This!

I believe we were badly treated but the fact of the matter is if Mr Morris had not put us administration we would still be in the Championship and not needing to adhere to a business plan.

The fact that we owed £25m in tax when the country needs it the most and Mr Morris still has many more millions of pounds is incomprehensible to me. He has tarnished the name of the club which, despite giving me some wonderful footballing memories, is unforgivable.

2 hours ago, Curtains said:

“We are aware that Derby County consider the claims to be spurious, but despite this, the current bidders appear unwilling to assume the risk of defending them.  In contrast, Middlesbrough FC and Wycombe Wanderers consider the claims to have merit, and that their rights will be adversely affected if Derby County can extinguish or compromise the claims using the insolvency process”

From EFL statement 

Year right what ever

They tried to destroy us and they failed at it.

Like another poster a suggestion event to remained people that efl are in the wrong and they know it.

47 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Thing is this never happened.

Bird's last tweet of any kind including retweeting was 2nd October of his assist for Collins 2nd goal at Cambridge. Davies did tweet yesterday, however this was promoting the charity bingo with him joking he'll replace Bradley Walsh as a quiz host. 

At the risk of being shot down I’m going to play devils advocate regarding the amortisation issue.  How we applied it is within accounting rules but there were no EFL rules as to how it should be done.  However, in a contract there are explicit and implicit terms.  The EFL, and paraphrasing them they are a body of all 72 member clubs, would argue that straight-line amortisation is implicit as it’s custom and practice within the industry.  They’d also argue that this have is an advantage over the other 71 clubs.  From that perspective you could argue they were right to pursue the case against us.

However, did they need to be so tough, arguably not.  Why did they approve our approach the first place?  Did they confirm to the other 71 clubs that we were choosing to use another legal methodology and inform them they could do the same?  A regulators role is to ensure equality and a fair approach across it’s industry, did they do this in a timely manner?

We all know the answer to these questions and ultimately they failed as a regulator way ahead of 2019.  The thing is, Gibson knew this, hence his “you go for them or I go for you ultimatum”.  And Mel ruffled there feathers far too much far too often.  He picked a fight from day 1.  In a regulated industry you never do that.  You may may not like the rules, but you don’t blame them.  Comply, meet the criteria, then suggest an improvement from a position of strength.  If Mel had had this approach, we may have received a slap on the wrist.  In the documentary on Al-Jazzeera (?) he basically admitted the EFL didn’t like him and that is why we are where we are.