Most 'Valuable' Player

Scott129

We're in a great run of form at the moment. We're up to fourth, best defensive record in the league, and the goals are starting to flow.

But, as we know, all it takes is a bit of bad luck, an unexpected sale, or a serious injury, for momentum to slow and results to turn.

So, just for a bit of fun (and hopefully not a precursor to anything ?), who in your opinion is the one player that we simply cannot afford to lose? The one that might affect our results the most.

I'm going to go with Wildsmith. He's made some crucial saves that without doubt have saved us points, and I don't think the confidence that he gives the back four can be understated. A big factor in Fozzy and Cashin's form IMO.

21 minutes ago, Scott129 said:

We're in a great run of form at the moment. We're up to fourth, best defensive record in the league, and the goals are starting to flow.

But, as we know, all it takes is a bit of bad luck, an unexpected sale, or a serious injury, for momentum to slow and results to turn.

So, just for a bit of fun (and hopefully not a precursor to anything ?), who in your opinion is the one player that we simply cannot afford to lose? The one that might affect our results the most.

I'm going to go with Wildsmith. He's made some crucial saves that without doubt have saved us points, and I don't think the confidence that he gives the back four can be understated. A big factor in Fozzy and Cashin's form IMO.

Unless the saves are in the dying minutes of the game it's impossible to say "without doubt saved us points" however, even though there are a few games where he's hardly been tested, I would also put Wildsmith up there. 

Cashin continues to impress (although his long range passing seems to have gone recently) as does Sibley playing out of position. McGoldrick and NML are unplayable on their day but Fozzy must also be a contender.

Overall, partly on the basis that his replacement is a bit of an unknown quantity (and therefore we'd potentially miss him more than anyone else) I'd probably also go for Wildsmith.

In terms of replacements, or therefore lack of, then it would have to be Wildsmith. We lose one of the best goalkeepers in the league to replace him with either an unproven player who received mixed reviews in his last loan spell in League Two or a player/coach - giving me too many Kevin Poole flashbacks (even if Loach has played well in cup games this season). 

Cashin I would say has been our best player, though, forming an unlikely but outstanding partnership with Forsyth. He's rated as the best player in League One on WhoScored by their metrics and it's hard to disagree (all things considered). 

In terms of minutes on the pitch so far this season, WhoScored lists our top 10 as:

1. Wildsmith 2160
  2. Cashin 2070
  3. Bird 2050
  4. Hourihane 1878
  5. Mendez-Laing 1618
  6. Collins 1601
  7. Sibley 1445
  8. Barkhuizen 1352
  9. Smith 1311
  10. Knight 1310

Fozzy comes next, McGoldrick is in 13th. Because both of these two are so far down the minutes table, I don't think you can argue they're our most vital. We have experienced centre back cover in Davies, Chester and Stearman. McGoldrick's role as a 10 dropping frequently into midfield could be covered by Sibley or through a rejigging of the set up - very often Didzy isn't in the team.

For me it is either Wildsmith or Cashin. Probably Joe Wildsmith, who has the joint highest number of cleansheets this season across Europe at 16, from 31 games. What an amazing record. He has been brilliant. But hasn't Eiran Cashin been immense, the highest rated WhoScored player in League One this season. What I love about him is he is so involved, all over the pitch. Not only does he bring the legs we need, but he's the first centre half I've seen since McFarland where you're not surprised when they crop up on one of the wings or some such. But who also lives to defend. Hard to split them in terms of their value to the team, but great to have two such brilliant performers who we can build a team around.

It is interesting to see that Max Bird comes next in terms of minutes played. Am I missing something about his influence in games? I don't think it would be problematic for the team if we lost him or Conor Hourihane for a period of games as I think Sibley, Knight or Smith would be fine (and potentially better) in the middle of midfield for us. But maybe I'm wrong?

1 hour ago, Magicman said:

McGoldrick 

I agree that he's up there but don't think he's more crucial than Wildsmith, Fozzy, and Cashin, for example.

I think with his age and record, we signed him knowing that he'll miss a good few games in the season, and that we all expect that. The others mentioned above I would be significantly more concerned about if they missed a game.

33 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

In terms of minutes on the pitch so far this season, WhoScored lists our top 10 as:

1. Wildsmith 2160
  2. Cashin 2070
  3. Bird 2050
  4. Hourihane 1878
  5. Mendez-Laing 1618
  6. Collins 1601
  7. Sibley 1445
  8. Barkhuizen 1352
  9. Smith 1311
  10. Knight 1310

Fozzy comes next, McGoldrick is in 13th. Because both of these two are so far down the minutes table, I don't think you can argue they're our most vital. We have experienced centre back cover in Davies, Chester and Stearman. McGoldrick's role as a 10 dropping frequently into midfield could be covered by Sibley or through a rejigging of the set up - very often Didzy isn't in the team.

For me it is either Wildsmith or Cashin. Probably Joe Wildsmith, who has the joint highest number of cleansheets this season across Europe at 16, from 31 games. What an amazing record. He has been brilliant. But hasn't Eiran Cashin been immense, the highest rated WhoScored player in League One this season. What I love about him is he is so involved, all over the pitch. Not only does he bring the legs we need, but he's the first centre half I've seen since McFarland where you're not surprised when they crop up on one of the wings or some such. But who also lives to defend. Hard to split them in terms of their value to the team, but great to have two such brilliant performers who we can build a team around.

It is interesting to see that Max Bird comes next in terms of minutes played. Am I missing something about his influence in games? I don't think it would be problematic for the team if we lost him or Conor Hourihane for a period of games as I think Sibley, Knight or Smith would be fine (and potentially better) in the middle of midfield for us. But maybe I'm wrong?

I'd much rather lose Hourihane than Bird.

And, if we were to lose both at the same time, I think we would struggle in terms of midfield control. I don't think a midfield of Sibley and Knight would be too great.

Best goalkeepers are the ones that never get discussed. 

He’s going about his work as if he’s been at the club years and I can’t particularly think of an occasion where he could be faulted for a goal. Best part is he seems to be happy and content, there’s no clamouring for a big move or a new contract.

not a chance we could replace him, even if we had £5 million to spend on a keeper currently.

Wildsmith hands down, as things stand he's the player of the season by a country mile.

Outfield player you would have to say Collins due to the lack of a replacement if he were to go down injured.

Although Cashin has been the most consistent player week in week out, with Davies, Stearman and Roberts we have the players to step in if needed.

45 minutes ago, David said:

Wildsmith hands down, as things stand he's the player of the season by a country mile.

Outfield player you would have to say Collins due to the lack of a replacement if he were to go down injured.

Although Cashin has been the most consistent player week in week out, with Davies, Stearman and Roberts we have the players to step in if needed.

But do we? Are any of those 3 close to being as good as Cashin currently is? For me, that’s the problem we have. If 2 or 3 key players eg Cashin, Knight and McGoldrick get injured, we will be in trouble….

Just now, Jimbo Ram said:

But do we? Are any of those 3 close to being as good as Cashin currently is? For me, that’s the problem we have. If 2 or 3 key players eg Cashin, Knight and McGoldrick get injured, we will be in trouble….

They are not, but they are good enough players to come in at this level. 

Not many League 1 squads will have players equal to those in the first team that can come in.

If Collins gets injured, with Osula gone, Stretton sold, we're struggling up there to even put a body in.