Bolton Wanderers (A) Tues 27th Dec, 3pm KO

12 hours ago, Rich3478 said:

Genuinely thought today was a better away performance, morecambe and burton were pretty poor. Even mk where we won wasn’t great. But we’re a lot more resilient under warne away. But still missing something up top.

bird put in a good shift today but it’s not his type of game at all is it. 

hopefully we can win two at home and make top six a bit more secure.

Perhaps. On the Burton point I watched that game on tv and i thought bolton bore significant similarities to that game but the halves were reversed i.e., our first half against bolton was akin to our second half against burton and vice versa . Just an inability to grab hold of the ball and the game itself. We are certainly vulnerable to a high tempo press and we seem to lack a consistent ability to put our foot on the ball now. Defensively we look much stronger but our midfield and attack have suffered under Warne so far i think. 

Edited by Leeds Ram

A draw was the right result, it was one of the better L1 games, but the problem with L1 games is that strikers need 3 or 4 chances to score, if they were better then they would be playing in a higher league. Both teams have good defences but neither took their chances.

I think the return fixture could be interesting, better weather and better pitch could suit us as we have lots of pace, but we know each other now.

First game over the Chrimbo fixture list, happy with a point, now lets win the next two, 7 points would be a good return.

# loved Warne's response to the size of the crowd.   

I thought we were good,  Bolton were relentless, would have been nice to get it down and play but we weren’t given time.  not the best conditions to play football in. Sibley is getting better every game in his new role and getting forward well too.  The only thing I can find fault with is Warnes need to go into ninja mode on the touch line.  Bobble hat pulled down and scarf pulled up under eyes. ? it was Bolton not the artic bleeding circle!! Must have been a sickly child?

11 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

We were the better team and had two clear penalties not awarded, plus we hit their bar. But we lack attacking thrust. Why? We play our most attacking, creative, dangerous midfielder at left back, leaving a perfectly respectable left back on the bench, and then play three one-paced midfielders in the middle (yes Jason Knight joins Hourihane and Bird with that tag as he looks lost at the moment). Fozzy was immense, but if Warne refuses to play Roberts at left back we desperately need Fozzy there, so we can put Sibley in midfield and put Hourihane or Bird on the bench. I'd say Hourihane. The one thing he has been good for is distance shooting, yet today he had a clear shot 20 yards out for a few seconds with on one closing him down, but turned it down and played a soft pass out wide. WTAF? Then, yet another good chance missed (didn't even connect!) by Dobbin from one yard out. He has to go back in January. One great thing about today is the confidence we can have with Wildsmith in goal. Even in the driving rain with a slippery ball, I felt Bolton would not beat him if we played for a week. Some on here saying Bolton had a decent chance (Charles?) which they did, but had the shot been anywhere inside the post, Wildsmith had it covered.

Left back or left wing back is Sibley's position now. Get used to it. My opinion anyway is he's terrific in that position and getting better every week 

The clattering that Barkhuizen received in the LH corner of their penalty area in the first half was about a clear a penalty as I've seen so far this season. How the referee, positioned where he was, could have viewed it as a fair tackle is a mystery. Bolton player didn't even get the faintest touch on the ball, whilst Barks touch was light enough that, unimpeded, he would have got to the ball first. 

IMG_20221228_123519-01.thumb.jpeg.61d7832239a01218e3feec5eb72fe9e7.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Crewton said:

The clattering that Barkhuizen received in the LH corner of their penalty area in the first half was about a clear a penalty as I've seen so far this season. How the referee, positioned where he was, could have viewed it as a fair tackle is a mystery. Bolton player didn't even get the faintest touch on the ball, whilst Barks touch was light enough that, unimpeded, he would have got to the ball first. 

IMG_20221228_123519-01.thumb.jpeg.61d7832239a01218e3feec5eb72fe9e7.jpeg

Sadly. what's done cannot be undone.

Once, when W G Grace was given out by an umpire, he retorted 'That was never out' to which the umpire replied 'Read tomorrow's paper'

Mind you, on another occasion, he refused to leave the field on the (his) basis that spectators had paid to come to watch him, not the umpire.

I digress.

17 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I also think Collins got "studded" by a defender in the 6 yard area in the 2nd half with the ball nowhere near.

It's hard to give the ref and officials a decent rating if they miss this stuff.

Except you could see from the tv replay he didn't miss seeing it, he was perfectly placed (as he was for Barks) he chose not to give it.

1 hour ago, Poynton ram said:

Anyone see the fighting outside the away end at full time? Stewards and police nowhere to be seen

What fighting I saw nrothing but there was trouble in the stands with bolton fans winding up derby fans back of lower tier at the back row. But above that was like VIP bit and one chanting forest songs and some chucked a cup of tea all over him. And wet his coat through he shut up after that.