Worst since Atwell

Srg

I'm not even certain that shirt-pulling/wrestling etc is strictly "cheating"?  Sure, it's breaking the rules, I appreciate that, but it's breaking the rules usually in a clear, obvious, and visible way, that should be treated just like any other obvious foul.  More often than not, these aren't sly semi-second tugs of the shirt.  They are 5 second tussles, FFS!
I blame the refs and the rule makers for not clamping down. 
We don't call any player that makes a foul a "cheat"!  That would include virtually everyone on the pitch!

I see "cheating" as something more deceptive.  More sinister.  Something that is intended to deceive, such as diving when no contact is made, or a defender diving for a goal line clearance , but placing his hand where his forehead should be!.

Either way, each example is just as bloody annoying as each other!  Cheating or not!  

18 minutes ago, darren22 said:

It's happening every game now & I for one detest it ?  Not sure how anyone sorts it out now especially as commentators Ex players/ pundits think it's an acceptable part of the "Game", It's not its cheating & should be treated as such ?

They occassionally use the word 'simulation' if the ref spots a dive, but they never state that someone has 'cheated' - players don't want to be called cheats so if it was called out more often, it would make them think twice.

There's also all the crap along the lines of someone 'winning' a free kick or penalty - you don't 'win' a penalty, it's awarded if you've been fouled - if a player has 'won' it because they've over exagerated the contact and thrown themself to the ground, then they shopuld be booked for ungentlemanly conduct - even if the pen is given.....

2 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

They occassionally use the word 'simulation' if the ref spots a dive, but they never state that someone has 'cheated' - players don't want to be called cheats so if it was called out more often, it would make them think twice.

There's also all the crap along the lines of someone 'winning' a free kick or penalty - you don't 'win' a penalty, it's awarded if you've been fouled - if a player has 'won' it because they've over exagerated the contact and thrown themself to the ground, then they shopuld be booked for ungentlemanly conduct - even if the pen is given.....

Exactly what my other half says about winning a penalty / freekick ! you don't win it? It is awarded ?

Friends who support perennial lower league clubs always went on and on about how bad the refs are, and I always brushed it off but jeez they're awful. It's not even pro or anti Derby, they're just objectively bad. I do partly blame the EFL for scheduling refs with no experience of 30k crowds though, it must be really daunting when you're used to 28 people and a dog.

4 hours ago, Gaspode said:

One of the better comments is..."if he hangs a leg out, He's entitled to go over" ?

49 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

One of the better comments is..."if he hangs a leg out, He's entitled to go over" ?

I do think there is an acceptable way to ‘win’ a penalty. If you can get yourself between the defender and the ball, and force them to foul you, or kick the ball away at the last second so the defender connects with nothing but your shin. Then that’s clever, and you’ve won yourself a penalty. 

I always like the one where they judge to one side of the keeper and the keeper takes then out and gives away a penalty. The balls gone way out of the strikers control, no chance they were ever going to skip over the keeper, retrieve the ball and slot into the empty net, that ball is bobbling off the pitch all day long, but there is no arguing that the keeper has flattered into the striker. That’s clever. You’re allowed to be clever. 

3 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I do think there is an acceptable way to ‘win’ a penalty. If you can get yourself between the defender and the ball, and force them to foul you, or kick the ball away at the last second so the defender connects with nothing but your shin. Then that’s clever, and you’ve won yourself a penalty. 

I always like the one where they judge to one side of the keeper and the keeper takes then out and gives away a penalty. The balls gone way out of the strikers control, no chance they were ever going to skip over the keeper, retrieve the ball and slot into the empty net, that ball is bobbling off the pitch all day long, but there is no arguing that the keeper has flattered into the striker. That’s clever. You’re allowed to be clever. 

Players are trained in the "dark arts" of football, I'm not going to say it's acceptable, But it's sure as hell part of the game now, Sean Dyche a few years back said "if any of his players cheat/dive for a penalty they'll be fined" no good being a martyr to the game if all and sundry are doing it.

I can go back as are far as the 60s you'd have to have your legs blown off with a shotgun in the box to get a penalty, TV, Pundits, Commentators, Film star players, Even the man in the middle is seen as some sort of Celebrity have changed the game since Sky got involved.

If DCFC win a penalty through gaining an advantage through the dark arts...well done I say?, If it's against us...bleedin cheats ?   

7 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Players are trained in the "dark arts" of football, I'm not going to say it's acceptable, But it's sure as hell part of the game now, Sean Dyche a few years back said "if any of his players cheat/dive for a penalty they'll be fined" no good being a martyr to the game if all and sundry are doing it.

I can go back as are far as the 60s you'd have to have your legs blown off with a shotgun in the box to get a penalty, TV, Pundits, Commentators, Film star players, Even the man in the middle is seen as some sort of Celebrity have changed the game since Sky got involved.

If DCFC win a penalty through gaining an advantage through the dark arts...well done I say?, If it's against us...bleedin cheats ?   

I can go back as are far as the 60s you'd have to have your legs blown off with a shotgun in the box to get a penalty,

Made me smile that ? But you forgot to add also pronounced dead ?

3 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Frannie used a win a few tripping over his own legs ??

On 10/10/2022 at 11:31, Mucker1884 said:

I'm not even certain that shirt-pulling/wrestling etc is strictly "cheating"?  Sure, it's breaking the rules, I appreciate that, but it's breaking the rules usually in a clear, obvious, and visible way, that should be treated just like any other obvious foul.  More often than not, these aren't sly semi-second tugs of the shirt.  They are 5 second tussles, FFS!
I blame the refs and the rule makers for not clamping down. 
We don't call any player that makes a foul a "cheat"!  That would include virtually everyone on the pitch!

I see "cheating" as something more deceptive.  More sinister.  Something that is intended to deceive, such as diving when no contact is made, or a defender diving for a goal line clearance , but placing his hand where his forehead should be!.

Either way, each example is just as bloody annoying as each other!  Cheating or not!  

If Derby had their shirts made with Velcro along the seams, then an awful lot of defenders would end up with a piece of Derby shirt in their hands. A Derby player stood there with a lump of his shirt missing would be in incontrovertible evidence. Obviously a free-kick to the defender!

Edited by DavesaRam