Mansfield v Derby matchday thread

archram

5 hours ago, erathirea said:

Win and we're in the knockout stages. Not sure if there's seeding or anything, but suspect we'd also be guaranteed first place?

Means we can rest as many as we want against Man City U21 (as long as we avoid the fine) and give the old boys a night off.

I'd be tempted to give Collins 45 minutes tonight- no sense tiring him out, but another goal on the road would help maintain his confidence. 

No you have to play players from last game from first team.

33 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Players said similar about Clement's tactics (FBs pushing up to W, W tucking inside to CM, CMs pushing out wide to FB)

They also said the same when Rooney (w/ Rosenior) took over from Cocu, but clearly that wasn't simple enough either as now we're simplifying it again.

Just how simple do they need it?

Perhaps people shouldn't read so much into what player say after a managerial change?

2 hours ago, Srg said:

I mean it doesn't add up to much does it? £20k to play in the tournament and you need 2 wins to pay that back alone. Even a win in the second round pays like 2 weeks wages for 1 player.

Just realised may have read this wrong and that we get £20k for participating? Either way, it's not a lot is it for a club our size.

If means we can bring 2 or 3 players in January it is worth it.

1 hour ago, Kokosnuss said:

They also said the same when Rooney (w/ Rosenior) took over from Cocu, but clearly that wasn't simple enough either as now we're simplifying it again.

Just how simple do they need it?

Perhaps people shouldn't read so much into what player say after a managerial change?

Perhaps you should listen to the whole interview? That was a small snippet that I found interesting - afterall there was a common denominator in that time span.

19 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Perhaps you should listen to the whole interview? That was a small snippet that I found interesting - afterall there was a common denominator in that time span.

Perhaps you should realise that I'm talking about player interviews in a wider context than Derby and the past 2 years?

Your picking and choosing of what's interesting to you and what isn't is certainly a common denominator, that's true!

Edited by Kokosnuss

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Players said similar about Clement's tactics (FBs pushing up to W, W tucking inside to CM, CMs pushing out wide to FB)

I said the same about Lampard's until he changed how the midfield 3 worked, although Warne is playing a similar midfield setup to what I believe Lampard wanted.

Some players can take on the extra information and perform the role well (Knight being a perfect example). But, you tend to find most players outside the PL struggle. I'm sure players would have got used to it in time though.

One complication with playing a complicated system is that if it’s not working, tweaking it is complicated. As we have seen. We’ve got a good squad,  simple should be good enough if they’re all motivated 

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Qualifying for Ireland : if you had to choose between  Festy Ebosele and Cashin you’d give it to Festy every time because at least he sounds Irish. (And wasn’t born in Mansfield)  

Always wonder what would have happened if Ferguson hadn’t persuaded Giggs to qualify for Wales  

Edited by kevinhectoring

Shame Rooney is injured as I would've loved to see him have an opportunity infront of Warne.. It's difficult to see where we can make too many changes. Mansfield are a physical side so you wouldn't want to put too many of our youngsters out to slaughter. 

Loach

Stearman      Cashin     Forsyth

Bird
Oduroh                   Thompson              Sibley                  Roberts

Osula             Dobbin

Barkhuizen, Mendez-Lang and others to get 30 minutes in the second half if needed. 

46 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Qualifying for Ireland : if you had to choose between  Festy Ebosele and Cashin you’d give it to Festy every time because at least he sounds Irish. (And wasn’t born in Mansfield)  

Always wonder what would have happened if Ferguson hadn’t persuaded Giggs to qualify for Wales  

Gigs wasn't eligible to play for the England national team. He did play for England schoolboys due to go to an English school, but still couldnt play for the England national team.

Festy may have been born in Ireland, but has Nigerian parents.

I dont know how much more Irish you can get than a name like Eiran. Éire... Eiran... Cashin is also a Gaelic name.

Edited by Ghost of Clough

Big chance for Cybulski, lots of good attributes to his play, it'll be a good test to see whether he's more physically prepared now.

No "Collo" at all seems odd, especially with Osula out and no striker on the bench. After Saturday I'd have thought he'd be given another run out to further prove those who wrote him off after his first 9 games wrong.

Edited by Kokosnuss