Mansfield v Derby matchday thread

archram

Win and we're in the knockout stages. Not sure if there's seeding or anything, but suspect we'd also be guaranteed first place?

Means we can rest as many as we want against Man City U21 (as long as we avoid the fine) and give the old boys a night off.

I'd be tempted to give Collins 45 minutes tonight- no sense tiring him out, but another goal on the road would help maintain his confidence. 

16 hours ago, maxjam said:

Nice bit of background re. the Paul Warne/Richie Barker relationship

Mentioned something about a lot of our young players getting first starts in this cup... does he realise we've never played in it before? ?

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I mean it doesn't add up to much does it? £20k to play in the tournament and you need 2 wins to pay that back alone. Even a win in the second round pays like 2 weeks wages for 1 player.

Just realised may have read this wrong and that we get £20k for participating? Either way, it's not a lot is it for a club our size.

Edited by Srg

13 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Tonight’s game takes me back to when I sponsored a stags game in EFL trophy ( freight rover) in the mid nineties. My business partner is still a big stags fan. Man of the match Ian Baraclough, wonder what happened to him ?

10DE32B2-5710-439D-BCC6-344BEDFCCC0E.jpeg

Ian Barraclough is currently the national team manager of Northern Ireland having succeeded Michael O'Neill when the latter was appointed manager at Stoke City prior to his recent departure from there.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

3 hours ago, erathirea said:

Win and we're in the knockout stages. Not sure if there's seeding or anything, but suspect we'd also be guaranteed first place?

Means we can rest as many as we want against Man City U21 (as long as we avoid the fine) and give the old boys a night off.

I'd be tempted to give Collins 45 minutes tonight- no sense tiring him out, but another goal on the road would help maintain his confidence. 

I think the rules are you have to play at least 5 players from your previous league game so there will be changes,Sibley,Stearman,Loach,Thompson plus the young lad who came on for Dobbin on Saturday i think will start

A win should be enough to win the mini league and those teams top of each league get a home draw in the 1st knock out stage

14 minutes ago, ramboy63 said:

I think the rules are you have to play at least 5 players from your previous league game so there will be changes,Sibley,Stearman,Loach,Thompson plus the young lad who came on for Dobbin on Saturday i think will start

A win should be enough to win the mini league and those teams top of each league get a home draw in the 1st knock out stage

If it's 5 from the previous game, who do we think will play? 

Cashin, Barkhuizen, Dobbin, Bird and Knight? aka the younger ones?

16 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Ian Barraclough is currently the national team manager of Northern Ireland having succeeded Michael O'Neill when the latter was appointed manager at Stoke City prior to his recent departure from there.

I knew that?

20 minutes ago, ramboy63 said:

Not quite. It's at least 4 outfield players who:

1. started the previous first team fixture
  2. start the next game
  3. one of the top 10 most starts this season
  4. made at least 40 first team or international appearances
  5. on loan from a PL club or Cat 1 academy

Davies, Chester, Stearman, Cashin, Roberts, Forsyth, Bird, Smith, Knight, Hourihane, Sibley, Barkhuizen, Mendez-Laing, Dobbin, Collins, McGoldrick all qualify. Then there's whoever we start at the weekend.

17 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Not quite. It's at least 4 outfield players who:

1. started the previous first team fixture
  2. start the next game
  3. one of the top 10 most starts this season
  4. made at least 40 first team or international appearances
  5. on loan from a PL club or Cat 1 academy

Davies, Chester, Stearman, Cashin, Roberts, Forsyth, Bird, Smith, Knight, Hourihane, Sibley, Barkhuizen, Mendez-Laing, Dobbin, Collins, McGoldrick all qualify. Then there's whoever we start at the weekend.

I'm glad they made it nice and simple. 

14 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

… to duck all

Prize money for the League cup

1st round £5,000

2nd round £ 7,000

3rd round £10,000

4th round £15,000

So we should make more in prize money from this than we would beating Liverpool.

Obviously gate receipts are a different matter.

when Sunderland won it they made nearly a million pounds.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Interesting view on Warne. ...'he's simplified it...'

Players said similar about Clement's tactics (FBs pushing up to W, W tucking inside to CM, CMs pushing out wide to FB)

I said the same about Lampard's until he changed how the midfield 3 worked, although Warne is playing a similar midfield setup to what I believe Lampard wanted.

Some players can take on the extra information and perform the role well (Knight being a perfect example). But, you tend to find most players outside the PL struggle. I'm sure players would have got used to it in time though.