The Mankad in the Womens cricket yesterday

Reggie Greenwood

What’s folks thoughts on the Mankad by India yesterday to win the Womens 3rd ODI ? 
As a junior playing in a senior game in the 70’s  did it after giving a player 2 warnings , our skipper still called him back and gave me a bolloking . My thoughts these days that if a warning is given fair game but not without. 
Still no rules on this , perhaps it’s time that something should be formally written down.? 

43 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

What’s folks thoughts on the Mankad by India yesterday to win the Womens 3rd ODI ? 
As a junior playing in a senior game in the 70’s  did it after giving a player 2 warnings , our skipper still called him back and gave me a bolloking . My thoughts these days that if a warning is given fair game but not without. 
Still no rules on this , perhaps it’s time that something should be formally written down.? 

Cork said in his after match summery that Deepti was called over and spoken to by the Captain concerning this issue prior to the incident, So looks like she was under orders.

Crickets changed Reg since the 70s, It's a win at a cost, The saying "this isn't cricket" has been blown out of the window eons ago.

I remember Dennis Lillee trying to play with an aluminium bat, He was told to go and change it when England heard a different sound when ball hitting the bat.

Malinga the Slinga, There's still people who think his actions are throwing, But politics got in the way.

Bell run out as he thought the ball had gone for a 4 only to be called back as India gave him the benefit

Australia Vs New Zealand, The Kiwis needed a 6 off the last ball to win, The bowler was ordered to bowl underhand...Chappell I think it was.

Borderline ?

The games littered with "unfairness" as we can see with the picture above Deans bat is still in the crease as Deepti is about to release the ball, This was a case of "gamesmanship", Lose the call no big deal, Win the call and India take the spoils, Nowt better than to beat the once masters of another race ?

6 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

The games littered with "unfairness" as we can see with the picture above Deans bat is still in the crease as Deepti is about to release the ball, This was a case of "gamesmanship", Lose the call no big deal, Win the call and India take the spoils, Nowt better than to beat the once masters of another race ?

They had already won the series.

It's like they couldn't get the final wicket by bowling at us! For me it's a rule that needs revisiting, how often do you see a batter be prepared for the bowler to halt their bowling and turn and take the bails off? 

31 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

They had already won the series.

It's like they couldn't get the final wicket by bowling at us! For me it's a rule that needs revisiting, how often do you see a batter be prepared for the bowler to halt their bowling and turn and take the bails off? 

2-1 or 3-0

Which would you take?, India were struggling to take the last wicket, They saw and took the opportunity of a run out, Not my cup of tea, But India like a cup of tea.

I hated it personally.

Deepti has pretty much completed her bowling action, it's not as if the batter is half way down the track at that point, her bat is in for a fair while. 

Is what it is though, plenty of incidents like this in sport that we just have to swallow. 

Disgusting behaviour and showed their desperation. 
The way it was done is akin to pretending to throw the ball but secretly retaining it and then running the batter out….this is against the rules. At time of release she would not have been out of her crease and I think this rule could have been enforced by the video umpire. 

It's not great in my opinion, just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should. 

The batter clearly wasn't seeking to gain an advantage because she is walking rather than running out of her crease. I also thought that the wicket keeper looked sheepish when it happened, so I'm not sure that everybody was on board. I wonder whether this particular player will suffer the same fate in coming matches because if I was bowling she certainly would.

The problem is that us old fashioned folk don't matter any more. The rules of sport are there to be bent and exploited and modern thinking dictates that the end justifies the means

I don't care and I'm baffled as to why everyone is freaking out over it. Just don't leave the crease early and the bowler doesn't get the option to Mankad. How hard is that to understand? Dean had left her crease early on the previous two balls. The Indians spotted it and took advantage of her carelessness. Fair play to them.

image.png.25da26ecbf81d82fca2f4f9f8f99aed9.png

I personally think that this is akin to a footballer dummying the keeper when taking a penalty.

If you are backing up correctly your bat should leave the crease as the bowler releases the ball. If the bowler then doesn't release the ball momentum is bound to result in you being out of your crease.

In my opinion this wasn't a case of the batter trying to gain an advantage, and it was everything about utilising the current rules as they stand, to win a game by whatever means it takes

We used to do it all the while in the mixed indoor cricket league at Willows! 

But then we were charging halfway down the pitch at full pelt.

Outside, it's considered good practice to give a warning at least.

I've only just seen this back today, there didn't appear to have been a previous warning, the bowler was well into her delivery, the batter was hardly going for it; it all seems very unsporting to me.

I'm sure it won't be forgotten by England when they next play.

3 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

I personally think that this is akin to a footballer dummying the keeper when taking a penalty.

If you are backing up correctly your bat should leave the crease as the bowler releases the ball. If the bowler then doesn't release the ball momentum is bound to result in you being out of your crease.

In my opinion this wasn't a case of the batter trying to gain an advantage, and it was everything about utilising the current rules as they stand, to win a game by whatever means it takes

I hate that rule about penalty takers these days. As if they didn't have enough advantage already! ?