The Mankad in the Womens cricket yesterday

Reggie Greenwood

9 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

What’s folks thoughts on the Mankad by India yesterday to win the Womens 3rd ODI ? 
As a junior playing in a senior game in the 70’s  did it after giving a player 2 warnings , our skipper still called him back and gave me a bolloking . My thoughts these days that if a warning is given fair game but not without. 
Still no rules on this , perhaps it’s time that something should be formally written down.? 

I know it's happened a few times, in the men's game, but I can't see why it's legitimate. Surely it's a dead ball until the bowler's delivered it. If the ball slips out of the bowler's hand or mis-judges the run up, it's called a dead ball, I believe.

Apart from which, it's ethically immoral and not in the spirit of the game, especially in this game where no warning had been given.Smacks of win at all costs.

46 minutes ago, Srg said:

It is in the rules but it’s if the bowler isn’t in their delivery stride. She was, so it shouldn’t have been out anyway. 

Beyond that, in a won series, bowling at a tail ender, it’s just pathetic. 

My hubby, who's an umpire, says it is until the ball is released.

I agree with the other bit, though.

Batsmen should stop unfairly gaining an advantage by leaving their crease early to steal a run and then they can't be Mankaded. It's not hard to stay in the crease. In fact it's about the easiest part of batting. Even I can do it.

That said, I wouldn't Mankad someone as it's sneaky and cowardly (and I never mastered how to look two places at once) and don't like to see it done, but it's the penalty you risk for leaving your crease early and every player knows it and is completely legitimate. 

Don't hate the player, hate the game as they say.

Edited by JoetheRam