England Nations League Squad

Van der MoodHoover

He's just confirmed his tactics...

Pack the defence and midfield, wait until the opposition are 2-0 up and take their foot off the gas.  Then go for the win in a final death or glory 10 minutes of action packed, end to end craziness. Oh and just make sure that Nick Pope is at home with his feet up.

Its coming home...

tumblr_pce79j5EIG1qmd0sto3_400.gif

Edited by maxjam
typo for a change

1 minute ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Bellingham is our best player by a mile. Far too positive for this set up. 

Huge potential and skill now. 

We simply have to devise a system to get the best out of him. Protect him, encourage him and give him freedom. 

I think we have to stop fannying around trying to protect what is basically an inadequate back 3. 

Take the ball down the other end. Away from Maguire, pope, and the rest. 

41 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I think we have to stop fannying around trying to protect what is basically an inadequate back 3. 

Almost all CB options seem to be error prone which h is why Walker is shoehorned in there to cover. Only, he's actually a pretty poor defender when in his own box rsther than sprinting back from the halfway line.

I'm simply bamboozled why Southgate is so reluctant to give Tomori a real shot at making the LCB spot his own. So far he's played in 3 England games. His debut was at RB for 6 minutes when 4-0 up in 2019. He then comes on for the final 30 minutes in a 5-0 win over Andorra in 2021. He was finally given a start earlier in the year and played 88 minutes to help us earn our only clean sheet of this Nations League campaign. Has only been on the bench once since. Since the start of 20/21, he's played 38 Serie A games, and only lost twice (3 defeats in the 7 league games he didnt play in).

Having Tomori there means we can go with just 2 CBs, field an extra midfielder and actually create something without the worry of something going wrong at the back.

Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

Almost all CB options seem to be error prone which h is why Walker is shoehorned in there to cover. Only, he's actually a pretty poor defender when in his own box rsther than sprinting back from the halfway line.

I'm simply bamboozled why Southgate is so reluctant to give Tomori a real shot at making the LCB spot his own. So far he's played in 3 England games. His debut was at RB for 6 minutes when 4-0 up in 2019. He then comes on for the final 30 minutes in a 5-0 win over Andorra in 2021. He was finally given a start earlier in the year and played 88 minutes to help us earn our only clean sheet of this Nations League campaign. Has only been on the bench once since. Since the start of 20/21, he's played 38 Serie A games, and only lost twice (3 defeats in the 7 league games he didnt play in).

Having Tomori there means we can go with just 2 CBs, field an extra midfielder and actually create something without the worry of something going wrong at the back.

Mate every neutral in the ground was saying Tomori’s name. Southgate is too loyal to his old guard. Your last point is bang on.

We don’t need 3 at the back, Saka was our best player when he came on, a real threat but got dropped because of being played wing back, it’s like playing Knight at Right back. You just don’t pick players out of position when there are more natural options.

Players like Reece James annoy me, not just for his hairstyle either.

At 3-2 James had a chance to clear the danger, put ball and player into touch near the half way line, (like Mount did a bit earlier) but he fanned around instead of going straight through and it was 3-3 seconds later.

I'm feeling a lot more positive about England, that was an exciting game of football.

The second half was something to be proud of, the players were fighting for the shirt. If it weren't for individual errors, we would have walked away with the three points.

It's a message to Southgate, attack is the best form of defence. Bring on the world cup! 

9 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

Linekers comment makes no sense. We didn’t change formation, the subs were like for like. We played well until Maguire messed up and had a dodgy 15 minute spell and the subs were brilliant. Thought Sterling was good when he was on and Foden struggled but it the line up that finished was no more attacking than the one that started. 

Saka changed the game with his running at defenders, Defenders don't like it up em, Maybe should have cut in when Gudogan was chasing him, At 0-2 we were poor, Laborious and outwitted, Germany weren't that good, We were that poor, Southgate surely can not start with Maguire or even take him to Qatar, Not starting for Untd shows how Untd have improved under Ten Hag, Shaw in the right place to score, Mount gets on the end of a pass and Kane hits his spot kick. Substitutes changed the attitude not the pattern of play, Bellingham has one bright future in the game, Only went off when taking all the German studs on his ankle...I was impressed with the young man, He could be Southgates get out of jail free card.

Pope who I think is a decent keeper but that's a tame shot that should be taken, Harvetz showing why you should always follow up a shot.

In Qatar on our form we should despatch Iran, The USA are a match for us, Wales will as usual lift their game and get amongst us, They have a world beater in Bale who calls the shots, Scrape through in the heat then game on but not expecting a great deal under Southgate...not a fan of his.

10 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

10 hours ago, Zag zig said:

We don’t need 3 at the back, Saka was our best player when he came on, a real threat but got dropped because of being played wing back, it’s like playing Knight at Right back. You just don’t pick players out of position when there are more natural options.

All good points chaps. 

I naturally favour a 433, but Southgate hasn't yet found the people who best fit that system. 

I think I favour Tomori and stones in the CB position but there's no chance of that at the WC.