Derby V Grimsby Match Ratings

Ellafella

Half  marks allowed; please rate all subs. Closes Thursday @ 18:00. Results  by Thursday 22:00. Average is 6.00. Therefore when a sub steps on the pitch he is on 6 - that's the baseline. 

Loach

Oduroh

Forsyth

Roberts

Rooney

NML

Sibley

Thompson

Dobbin

Bird ? 

Collins

Barkhuizen

McGoldrick

Robinson

Cybulski

J. Knight

Loach - 6 - Made a great save in the first half but a few shaky moments in the second and really should have done better for their goal.

Oduroh - 7.5 - Best game I've seen him play. Played a huge part in the second goal with a great pass and defended crosses well under pressure. 

Forsyth - 7 - Pretty easy game for him with not much to do. 

Roberts - 7 - Defended well and was involved in the build-up a lot, but some of his crossing was poor.

Rooney - 8.5 - Great performance. Smart defender too, steps up well to get to the ball ahead of players and stuck his head of every cross. Wish he'd be a bit more confident at times and look forward instead of passing to Fozzy, because when he does go forward some of his passes are brilliant.

NML - 8.5 - Proper winger. Takes on the defender so easily. Goal and assist on his return and in the circumstances can't really ask for much more.

Sibley - 8 - Goal to cap off a decent performance.

Thompson - 6 - Another player who needs more confidence in himself. Too safe at times and some of his passing was poor. Worked hard and some good battling though.

Dobbin - 7 - Took on players well and tracked back nicely, final ball needed some work.

Bird ? - 8.5 - Bird's best game of the season so far, much more involved and a screamer to top it off.

Collins - 7 - Worked hard and felt for him at times because some of the crossing was poor. He's getting into the right positions which is why I'm probably not AS worried as some, but it's frustrating.

Barkhuizen - 6.5 

McGoldrick - 7 - Every touch he takes he shows his class. An incredibly smart footballer.

Robinson - 6.5 

Cybulski - 6.5 

J. Knight - 7

Edited by Jubbs

was at the game

Loach-7

Oduroh-7

Rooney-9

Fozzy-8

Roberts-6.5

Thommo-6

Bird-7.5

NML-7

Sibley-7

Dobbin-7

Collins-7.5, works so hard for team , fingers crossed goal follows soon

Barkhuizen-6

Mcgoldrick-6.5

Knight-7

Robinson-6.5

Cybulski-6

Loach   6 - First appearance for us, smart stop in first half, beaten at near post late on when match was over.

Oduroh   7 - Another solid game, a bit rough around the edges at times but shows flashes of quality such as his pass for 2nd goal.

Forsyth   7 - Quiet night, experienced head for the youngsters around him.

Roberts   6 - Did okay, lunged in a couple of times and gifted opposition a chance, delivery needs work.

Rooney   8 - Another impressive performance, anticipation and positioning are excellent.

NML   7 - Runs at defenders causes them problems, followed up nicely for his goal.

Sibley   7 - Steady performance, nicely taken goal.

Thompson   6 - Disappointing given the opposition, puts himself about but quality was lacking.

Dobbin   7 - Worked hard, pace to burn, needs better end product.

Bird   7 - Did well against soft opposition, needs to carry this into the league. Lovely taken goal.

Collins   6 - Can't fault his effort, and not shying away from chances. Unfortunately, still can't buy a goal.

Barkhuizen   6 -  match was already won when subs came on 

McGoldrick   7 - Another 30 mins under the belt, getting into his stride now, gonna be key later in season.

Robinson   6 - see Barkhuizen.

Cybulski   6 - 5 minute run out, wasn't really involved.

Knight   7 - see Barkhuizen.

Struggled to rate this tbh, felt like a 3rd gear performance against average opposition - comfortable win without putting too much effort into risk injury.  Another excellent performance from Rooney, pity Collins couldn't score to break his hoodoo - not sure LR will have learnt anything he didn't already know.  Nice to see we're taking all competitions seriously, hope it doesn't bite us later in the season.

*Its amazing how quickly football changes, last season our defence was looking at collecting their bus passes, this season we could easily have Cashin and Rooney at the centre of defence.  Add Knight and Roberts and none of them are mature enough to hold their drink ? 

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Half  marks allowed; please rate all subs. Closes Thursday @ 18:00. Results  by Thursday 22:00. Average is 6.00. Therefore when a sub steps on the pitch he is on 6 - that's the baseline. 

Loach 6

Oduroh 6.5

Forsyth 7.5

Roberts 5.5

Rooney 8

NML 7

Sibley 7

Thompson 5

Dobbin 6.5

Bird ? 7

Collins 6.5

Barkhuizen 6

McGoldrick 6

Robinson 6

Cybulski 6

J. Knight 6.5

Loach - 6 (Great save but he really should have come off his line for the goal)

Oduroh - 6 (Still think he looks lost now and then in his positional play)

Forsyth - 7.5

Roberts - 6.5

Rooney - 8 (Only thing that frustrated me last night was that I think he was being too safe on the ball)

NML - 7

Sibley - 7

Thompson - 6 

Dobbin - 6.5

Bird - 8

Collins - 6.5

Barkhuizen - 6

McGoldrick - 7

Robinson - 6

Cybulski - 6

J. Knight - 7

Loach     6.5    Solid enough for a deputy. Excellent PB save, but beaten at nr post for goal and flapped at a couple of crosses.

Oduroh    7   Caught out for goal, though player looked O/S, otherwise a positive display.

Forsyth    8   Walk in the park for Fozzy

Roberts   7.5   Great energy all evening. Still adapting to playing LB, but is a very good 'baller

Rooney    8.5   Same as Fozzy, which at his age is a real compliment

NML  8.5  A bit cruel playing him against Grimsby

Sibley  8.5  Another very good performance - a goal and some nice lay-offs.

Thompson  6.5  Tidy, caught on the ball a couple of times, but fitted well into the system.

Dobbin  7  Some great movement and interplay, particularly for NML's goal

Bird ?  8  Much improved from Saturday I think. Great goal too.

Collins   6.5  Worked his tush off, needs a bit of luck, late miss will haunt him a bit.

Barkhuizen  7  Lively when he came on. Should have scored though from one chance, or laid the ball off to Collins.

McGoldrick  8  Super cameo again. Must be close to a start?

Robinson  6  Looked composed in short period on the pitch.

Cybulski  6  Showed well for the ball and in his few short minutes on the pitch, he must have never been held so tightly since he was a little fella in his Mum's arms. Ref must have thought he needed a cuddle or summat.

J. Knight 7  Usual class and energy when he came on.

Edited by Crewton
Revised rating for Rooney

Loach         7

Oduroh       7

Forsyth       6.5

Roberts      5.5

Rooney       9

NML           8

Sibley         7.5

Thompson     6.5

Dobbin       6.5

Bird ?        7

Collins        7

Barkhuizen      6

McGoldrick      6.5

Robinson       6

Cybulski       6

J. Knight       6.5

12 hours ago, Jubbs said:

Loach - 6 - Made a great save in the first half but a few shaky moments in the second and really should have done better for their goal.

Oduroh - 7.5 - Best game I've seen him play. Played a huge part in the second goal with a great pass and defended crosses well under pressure. 

Forsyth - 7 - Pretty easy game for him with not much to do. 

Roberts - 7 - Defended well and was involved in the build-up a lot, but some of his crossing was poor.

Rooney - 8.5 - Great performance. Smart defender too, steps up well to get to the ball ahead of players and stuck his head of every cross. Wish he'd be a bit more confident at times and look forward instead of passing to Fozzy, because when he does go forward some of his passes are brilliant.

NML - 8.5 - Proper winger. Takes on the defender so easily. Goal and assist on his return and in the circumstances can't really ask for much more.

Sibley - 8 - Goal to cap off a decent performance.

Thompson - 6 - Another player who needs more confidence in himself. Too safe at times and some of his passing was poor. Worked hard and some good battling though.

Dobbin - 7 - Took on players well and tracked back nicely, final ball needed some work.

Bird ? - 8.5 - Bird's best game of the season so far, much more involved and a screamer to top it off.

Collins - 7 - Worked hard and felt for him at times because some of the crossing was poor. He's getting into the right positions which is why I'm probably not AS worried as some, but it's frustrating.

Barkhuizen - 6.5 

McGoldrick - 7 - Every touch he takes he shows his class. An incredibly smart footballer.

Robinson - 6.5 

Cybulski - 6.5 

J. Knight - 7

With you on all that. ?? Might have given Knighty an extra half point though. There were moments when you could see he wanted to stamp his authority on the game. And he did !  He looked so powerful and assured. Ha ha one of the “youngsters” … not. Real pro 

Thanks once more to those of you who posted ratings for the Grimsby Town game in the Pizza Trophy. I really appreciate your efforts and I love reading your comments and insights. You really are a knowledgeable set of fans and often I re-appraise my own views after reading yours.

Summary

The statistical man of the match for the Grimsby game goes by the name of Jake Rooney with an average rating of 8.17.  83% of you rated Rooney as such. Next highest was NML then Bird, then Sibley. The team average rating was 6.77.  6 players scored above this and 10 below. The dotted red line shows the cut-off (See the infographic below). The average aggregated team rating was 89.92 - 4th highest of the season to date. 

Now the interesting bit about Jake Rooney is that although he has played just the 3 matches, all in the cup competitions, he actually now has the highest average aggregate rating at 7.51 for the season-to-date, and is ahead of Jason knight who is second highest at 7.23. Food for thought; some of us believed that the correct substitution that should have been made last Saturday V Argyle was Rooney on to stiffen the back line rather than Thompson - note at this point that Thompson was well below the team average in this the Grimsby game. There are lots of nice little discussion points around this - hindsight, Rooney's only played against "lesser teams" et cetera - but I would robustly say that Rooney has earned a start or at least an appearance from the bench in a League game. It gives us added options in midfield at least. LR has said that he wants the players to be braver on the pitch at least twice this season after games so to that I would say to LR that he can also be braver in some of his team selections too! Note also at this point that Oduroh got an "above average" rating again in this match. At what point will he be a right full-back League option?

All interesting debate and in a sense it is easier being the manager from the side-lines. 

I will promise again that a season-to-date analysis will follow soon but I'm very busy with the day job at the moment; and also I'll post ratings that you gave for the Argyle match; the result still stings so I'm not yet quite "over it" to think back to that game yet. Time is a great healer though.

Any questions, comments or suggestions gratefully received. Please keep the ratings coming. They will make a great season-long record, and future analyses will feature posters' contributions more and more as the database builds.

Up the Rams.  

infographic.jpg

6 minutes ago, angieram said:

There's surprisingly few comments  @Ellafella, given the amount of effort you're putting in. Thank you.

Can't add a lot except to say it's perhaps easier to get a higher aggregate over a few appearances, hard to keep it up twice a week.

If Knight continues at this pace, he'll be a shoe-in for player of the season.

I would add that results have such a massive impact on the ratings. 

Keep up the good work @Ellafella

16 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Thanks once more to those of you who posted ratings for the Grimsby Town game in the Pizza Trophy. I really appreciate your efforts and I love reading your comments and insights. You really are a knowledgeable set of fans and often I re-appraise my own views after reading yours.

Summary

The statistical man of the match for the Grimsby game goes by the name of Jake Rooney with an average rating of 8.17.  83% of you rated Rooney as such. Next highest was NML then Bird, then Sibley. The team average rating was 6.77.  6 players scored above this and 10 below. The dotted red line shows the cut-off (See the infographic below). The average aggregated team rating was 89.92 - 4th highest of the season to date. 

Now the interesting bit about Jake Rooney is that although he has played just the 3 matches, all in the cup competitions, he actually now has the highest average aggregate rating at 7.51 for the season-to-date, and is ahead of Jason knight who is second highest at 7.23. Food for thought; some of us believed that the correct substitution that should have been made last Saturday V Argyle was Rooney on to stiffen the back line rather than Thompson - note at this point that Thompson was well below the team average in this the Grimsby game. There are lots of nice little discussion points around this - hindsight, Rooney's only played against "lesser teams" et cetera - but I would robustly say that Rooney has earned a start or at least an appearance from the bench in a League game. It gives us added options in midfield at least. LR has said that he wants the players to be braver on the pitch at least twice this season after games so to that I would say to LR that he can also be braver in some of his team selections too! Note also at this point that Oduroh got an "above average" rating again in this match. At what point will he be a right full-back League option?

All interesting debate and in a sense it is easier being the manager from the side-lines. 

I will promise again that a season-to-date analysis will follow soon but I'm very busy with the day job at the moment; and also I'll post ratings that you gave for the Argyle match; the result still stings so I'm not yet quite "over it" to think back to that game yet. Time is a great healer though.

Any questions, comments or suggestions gratefully received. Please keep the ratings coming. They will make a great season-long record, and future analyses will feature posters' contributions more and more as the database builds.

Up the Rams.  

infographic.jpg

Excellent as always. Just wondered - are you planning to make a copy of the database available, in case anyone else wanted to do a bit of analysis?

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Ping - just want people to get to read the output so it stays current 

I would start a new thread where you just post the analysis for each match, get the Devs to pin it if possible - keep it convenient and relevant.

Its nice having the summary at the end of each thread but I tend to leave my ratings, consider that my input then see what else is on the forums.  I dunno, maybe its just me and I should just get in the habit of checking on each thread ?