Derby County V WBA Match Ratings

Ellafella

Wildsmith 7.5 A busy night; arguably his best performance; had quite a few saves to make but comfortably did so. Blotted his copy book with a poor kicked clearance that travelled 40 yards straight to a WBA midfielder but made amends with a clean, low-left take of a shot at the death.  

Knight 8 The mobile midfield machine ran for miles simply and effectively demonstrating why he just has to start there on Saturday.

Oduroh 7.5 Gone were the nerves. Defended staunchly; headed consistently. On the strength of this performance, I would start him in a League 1 game. Why have him otherwise? Manager talks about players being brave but he must be brave in his selections too.

Forsyth 9 A giant amongst boys tonight. Every minute of his 10 years' experience was packed into the 90 tonight. Cool, intelligent, robust and marshalled the youngsters around him like the consummate professional. My fears pre-match were that this defence would be picked apart by wirey-quick Albion forwards; not a bit of it. Forsyth was the lighthouse who steered any trouble away.

Roberts 7.5 Lovely levels of energy and skill, he clearly enjoyed his game and gave an unblemished showing.

Rooney 7 Really starting to like this chap. No frills, he kept WBA out with authoritative interventions that were crisp, neat, tidy and dispatched and dealt with. 

Korey Smith 7.5 Much improved performance. Was very energetic and wisp-like, tidying up lose ball and giving- and go-ing; he finally looked like he was playing for the shirt with a worker-bee kind of industry. 

Thompson 6.5 Slow out of the blocks but once he settled he gave a tireless, high-revving-engine, neat & tidy, quick-feet and tight-turns consistency.   

Dobbin 7 A real nuisance to WBA from the get-go when he could've scored within 30 seconds. Has a tendency to get clattered because he's too quick and mobile. Pushing for a start but a great gun to bring on with 15 minutes to go.

McGoldrick 7.5 A great foil for Sibley because he occupies defences and creates gaps for others with his tight-turns and quick feet, and dummy-runs. Must start on Saturday.  He will score and assist on a regular basis in League 1. 

Sibley 8.5 Incessant, incisive, aggressive power-running with the ball. Sibley is the wasp in your car on a hot day - you know if you don't deal with him, you will get a nasty sting. Stung WBA on 15 when receiving on the 18 yard edge, he danced into shape and unleashed venom. Did the same mid-2nd-half and but for a fine-fingertips save would have stung again. Simply has to start.  

Subs:

Hourihane 6.5 Came on for Knight on 61 when WBA were gaining a grip with the instruction to slow it down and reduce the heat with intelligent outlet and did precisely that.  

Bird ? 6 Came on to mop up with 10 minutes left and did precisely that.

Collins 6 Fresh legs and manned the barricades with presence and teamwork.

Barkhuizen 7 caused WBA several moments of concern with his power running down the right late on. An intelligent substitute.

I really enjoyed this game. Credit to WBA fans - over 2k of them - made for a cup atmosphere.  This was a very polished performance from a makeshift selection which merely reinforced my conviction that:

1. Knight must start in midfield

2. Sibley must start

3. McGoldrick must start.

4. Oduroh should get the chance to make his League start. He's more than capable and needs to have the faith put in him. 

Edited by Ellafella

Wildsmith 7

Knight 8

Oduroh 7

Forsyth 8 

Roberts 7 

Rooney 7

Sir Tarquin Korey-Smith (Smith) 7 

Thompson 6.5 

Dobbin 7 

McGoldrick 7.5

Sibley 8.5

Subs:

Hourihane 7 

Bird 6 

Collins 6 

Barkhuizen 6

And 9/10 for either Rosenior or the players who made the decision to stop faffing around at the back at half time. First half was a mixture of excellence and stupidity. As has been posted elsewhere, if Smith or Thompson have 3 men marking them just outside our box and a couple of forwards are pressing Wildsmith then surely there's space further forward to pass into?

4 minutes ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

Wildsmith 7

Knight 8

Oduroh 7

Forsyth 8 

Roberts 7 

Rooney 7

Sir Tarquin Korey-Smith (Smith) 7 

Thompson 6.5 

Dobbin 7 

McGoldrick 7.5

Sibley 8.5

Subs:

Hourihane 7 

Bird 6 

Collins 6 

Barkhuizen 6

And 9/10 for either Rosenior or the players who made the decision to stop faffing around at the back at half time. First half was a mixture of excellence and stupidity. As has been posted elsewhere, if Smith or Thompson have 3 men marking them just outside our box and a couple of forwards are pressing Wildsmith then surely there's space further forward to pass into?

Hear! Hear! I was coached to play the % game. 

10 hours ago, rammieib said:

Sorry but how do you give Wildsmith a 5? That’s ridiculous - one error in first half and one poor kick second half yet six shots on target, nothing conceded and pretty commanding. Come on.

You beat me to it, just seen the highlights where he made 4 or 5 excellent saves...

11 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Wildsmith 8

Knight 7

Oduroh 7

Forsyth 6

Roberts 7

Rooney 5

Smith 6

Thompson 6

Dobbin 7

McGoldrick 6

Sibley 8

Subs:

Bird 6

Hourihane 6

Collins 6

Barkhuizen 6

Wondered why you gave Rooney a 5 when others were raving about him ? I wasn’t at the game so I don’t know how he played just interested what you didn’t like that others seem not to have seen ? 

Edited by Reggie Greenwood
Took a bit out

10 hours ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

I do think he's a decent keeper though tbh, possibly a 6 was more fair on reflection but some of his mistakes stuck in my mind especially the one from the cross  first half. 

Your opinion and explanation is fine - that is the beauty of a forum but how many times did Thompson give the ball away last night. I thought he was extremely poor but maybe 6/7/8 times he gave the ball away in our half yet he gets a 7 from you? The mistakes are just as bad in reality and could lead to goals being scored against us.

I just think at times, our expectations of what we want from our players are a little too high - I think we all miss Allsop but if Wildsmith's saves keep us in a game, then I'll reward that in the scoring.

At the game

Wildsmith-7

Oduroh-8

Rooney-8

Forsyth-8.5

Roberts-7

Smith-7.5

Knight-7.5

Thommo-7

Dobbin-7.5

Mcgoldrick-7.5

Sibley-8

Hourihane-7

Collins-6

Barkhuizen-6

Bird-6

3 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Wildsmith 7.5 A busy night; arguably his best performance; had quite a few saves to make but comfortably did so. Blotted his copy book with a poor kicked clearance that travelled 40 yards straight to a WBA midfielder but made amends with a clean, low-left take of a shot at the death.  

Knight 8 The mobile midfield machine ran for miles simply and effectively demonstrating why he just has to start there on Saturday.

Oduroh 7.5 Gone were the nerves. Defended staunchly; headed consistently. On the strength of this performance, I would start him in a League 1 game. Why have him otherwise? Manager talks about players being brave but he must be brave in his selections too.

Forsyth 9 A giant amongst boys tonight. Every minute of his 10 years' experience was packed into the 90 tonight. Cool, intelligent, robust and marshalled the youngsters around him like the consummate professional. My fears pre-match were that this defence would be picked apart by wirey-quick Albion forwards; not a bit of it. Forsyth was the lighthouse who steered any trouble away.

Roberts 7.5 Lovely levels of energy and skill, he clearly enjoyed his game and gave an unblemished showing.

Rooney 7 Really starting to like this chap. No frills, he kept WBA out with authoritative interventions that were crisp, neat, tidy and dispatched and dealt with. 

Korey Smith 7.5 Much improved performance. Was very energetic and wisp-like, tidying up lose ball and giving- and go-ing; he finally looked like he was playing for the shirt with a worker-bee kind of industry. 

Thompson 6.5 Slow out of the blocks but once he settled he gave a tireless, high-revving-engine, neat & tidy, quick-feet and tight-turns consistency.   

Dobbin 7 A real nuisance to WBA from the get-go when he could've scored within 30 seconds. Has a tendency to get clattered because he's too quick and mobile. Pushing for a start but a great gun to bring on with 15 minutes to go.

McGoldrick 7.5 A great foil for Sibley because he occupies defences and creates gaps for others with his tight-turns and quick feet, and dummy-runs. Must start on Saturday.  He will score and assist on a regular basis in League 1. 

Sibley 8.5 Incessant, incisive, aggressive power-running with the ball. Sibley is the wasp in your car on a hot day - you know if you don't deal with him, you will get a nasty sting. Stung WBA on 15 when receiving on the 18 yard edge, he danced into shape and unleashed venom. Did the same mid-2nd-half and but for a fine-fingertips save would have stung again. Simply has to start.  

Subs:

Hourihane 6.5 Came on for Knight on 61 when WBA were gaining a grip with the instruction to slow it down and reduce the heat with intelligent outlet and did precisely that.  

Barkhuizen 7 caused WBA several moments of concern with his power running down the right late on. An intelligent substitute.

I really enjoyed this game. Credit to WBA fans - over 2k of them - made for a cup atmosphere.  This was a very polished performance from a makeshift selection which merely reinforced my conviction that:

2. Sibley must start

4. Oduroh should get the chance to make his League start. He's more than capable and needs to have the faith put in him. 

Spot on mate

1 hour ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Wondered why you gave Rooney a 5 when others were raving about him ? I wasn’t at the game so I don’t know how he played just interested what you didn’t like that others seem not to have seen ? 

I'm not MilleniumRam but, in the first half, we were messing about with it the back quite a lot. He was a bit of a victim of that and had a couple of loose touches/passes but, in my opinion, improved over the course of the game.

On my hols so watched the full 90, pen and paper in hand, in order to rate.

Wildsmith 6 flapped a bit much and his distribution wasn't great, but also some decent saves.

Oduroh 7.5 will have done him the world of good. If we don't bring in a RB he'll be ready soon.

Rooney 7 great effort in a makeshift defence. Some good decisions

Forsyth 6.5 feel LB is by far his best position. In the middle his distribution's wayward, but did win headers.

Roberts 7 expected more after @angieram's comments but you see different things live. Still a strong performance.

Smith 6 Gifted a great chance to them early. Had some tidy moments. Will help his fitness.

Knight 7.5 A midfield dynamo but needs to work on his finishing.

Thompson 5.5 Looks too much of a boy against men. Not quite there.

Dobbin 7.5 Very lively first half before fading. Poor finisher, but creates threatening positions. Targeted by the opposition.

Sibley 8.5 Perhaps should be higher as he had by miles our three best attempts. And also put Hourihane clean through but the Irishman's control let him down. Great pressing and team play in the middle. The grease that makes the Derby engine run much more smoothly. First name on the team sheet. MotM

Mcgoldrick 7 Getting closer. Clever player. One disappointing long-range shot when Sibley was clean through but ignored.

Subs:

Hourihane 6.5

Collins 6

Barkhuizen 6

Bird ?6

Wildsmith 7.5 - Not the hardest saves but good handling... mostly!
Oduroh - 7 - Starting to look a bit more confident and imposed himself on the game 2nd half. Improved positional sense.
Rooney - 7
Forsyth - 8 - Captain's performance, not much else needs saying.
Roberts - 7.5 - Just a very good footballer. Gets it, plays well, works hard. Composed.  Gets an extra half mark for that ball to Dobbin
Smith - 7
Knight - 7
Thompson - 5.5 - Frustrating ditherer, slow to react the danger encircling him. I wish it was just this match, but it's a regular feature.
Sibley - 8
Dobbin - 7.5 - Really like him, just doesn't seem to have a shot on him!
McGoldrick - 6.5 - Controversial? Lost most of his aerial battles for the ball and looked leggy throughout (fully expected given fitness levels), a few flashes of quality mixed in but some missed opportunities to play the killer pass as not yet up to speed.

Subs:
Bird - 6
Hourihane - 6 - Luxury player, decision making more hit and miss than expected. Played too safe once when he had (I think) Collins running clean through into a near-empty WBA half and passed it back to the defence instead. Put in a cross for Collins but....
Collins - 6 - Good pressing. Not sure if the late cross from Hourihane was overhit or he didn't quite read it right?
Barkhuizen - 6

Defensive Unit - 9 - One of the biggest things that stood out for me was how well we dealt with WBA's set-pieces and just how many different players popped up with clearing headers and blocks. Everyone on the pitch wanted that clean sheet, we looked very well organised despite it being a thrown-together line-up.

Edited by Kokosnuss

4 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Just thought he was a bit shaky on the ball when playing out from the back, and didn’t get involved as much as I hoped he would. He’s got excellent quality on the ball (as we saw at Mansfield), so just wanted him to be a bit braver, that’s all. 

It was his first game at the heart of defence though, against high quality opposition, so I don’t want to be too harsh. Only natural for him to be a little nervous at his age. Others are probably right to score him higher, taking circumstances into account. 

7 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Subs:

2. Sibley must start

Which 3 players would you drop? 

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

So, a question.

Does Bird get a start in our best eleven?

We have a range of skills and other ‘neat and tidy’ players.

Thoughts?

110% imo, think this calendar year he has come on alot, especially over the summer. I think he's our best player closely followed by Sibley and Knight. 

His ball playing ability and composure and close control are prem level, and he has good defensive positioning. I'd drop Hourihane to the bench even though he has alot of quality and play Sibley, Knight and Bird as a midfield 3. 

1 minute ago, sage said:

Which 3 players would you drop? 

“Drop” is a perjorative word. 
Competition is healthy; footballers accept it. It’s a squad game (cf Stearman).

1. Collins

2. Barkhuizen 

3. Dobbin 

Mended-Laing has “domestic issues” just now so Barks may keep his place or Dobbin. NML would be a huge miss because he’s our top player now.