The Oldies "I remember when" thread

Elwood P Dowd

On 17/08/2022 at 14:58, Elwood P Dowd said:

When you look back at the six week summer holidays, when you were young, you only remember the sunny days, the rainy days are completely forgotten.?

I do wonder if good memories are made permanent by going through the memories over time, I suppose the same could be said about very bad memories. We probably remember both ends of the memory scale, good and bad, and lose the bits in the middle. 

That's almost exactly how they are made, I'm going to start a memory thread!

2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Did you know that the Spot the Ball competition is not based on where the actual ball is/was? A panel of people decide where to put the ball!! FFS!

The Dad of a mate of mine won this in the mid 70’s bought a laundrette and repair garage as I recall. My mate was still running the garage a few years ago 

20 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

There was another one off Vernon Gate if you were really going for it, Wagon and Horses as well.  Yeoman was not part of my mile as turned into a Mcdonalds maybe 3 years before I started it.  In later years they chucked in Seymours by St Werburghs.  Think there are maybe just The Greyhound and Travellers left- maybe the Brick and Tile.  Always very messy, especially in the days you could get a top deck on your birthday which was pretty much half a pint of mixed spirits at the half way point.  My mate went AWOL at one all dayer and sobered up at some ones wedding he'd apparently been taken to by someone in The Greyhound.   Problem was it was up near Dovedale. 

Yeah no doubt the pubs have closed/changed a lot - I’m going back to the seventies when I was involved. We sometimes used to do a cut down version on a Saturday night always starting at the yeoman but picking out a few pubs on the way into town hoping to arrive in a condition where we could still get into a club 

1 hour ago, Frogram said:

You might appreciate the French " Andouillette " 

( Best of luck )

Screenshot_20220823-130134~2.png

I did some work in Paris 20 odd years ago - one evening we went to a large 'authentic' (i.e. full of locals) restaurant. One of the British blokes I worked with was a bit of a poncy 'gourmet' type who liked to try and impress with his knowledge of French wines and French food. We all played safe and went for chicken/beef or steak, but Paul had to show off and so ordered Andouillette - when it arrived, it looked (and smelled) like something that had recently been chopped off a donkey. To his credit he did try a mounthful,(but only one) before he pushed it to one side and ordered a replacement.....

39 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

I did some work in Paris 20 odd years ago - one evening we went to a large 'authentic' (i.e. full of locals) restaurant. One of the British blokes I worked with was a bit of a poncy 'gourmet' type who liked to try and impress with his knowledge of French wines and French food. We all played safe and went for chicken/beef or steak, but Paul had to show off and so ordered Andouillette - when it arrived, it looked (and smelled) like something that had recently been chopped off a donkey. To his credit he did try a mounthful,(but only one) before he pushed it to one side and ordered a replacement.....

On one of my jollies we'd gone to Toulouse(Airbus, Sat in Concorde that was just for punters to view)any road we were taken by our Toulouse colleagues for lunch, Around 15 Brits and 15 French, All our lot had the steak with salad, Waiters brought it in and we sat down to eat, On top of the salad was a Cray Fish, My mates Cray Fish was moving ? then we cut into the steak...blood all over the place, It looked like Sweeney Todd had employed an apprentice, This wasn't rare you could still hear the cow mooing, All the food was taken back and cooked to our liking...The French weren't impressed...you could see in their faces...ba***rd English. 

2 hours ago, Gaspode said:

I had one in Dijon, with a mustard sauce (well, the menu said it was a mustard sauce), because I quite like tripe. I thought it was OK, but not worth the reverence that some seem to hold for it. 

There was a time when, if you rode your bike on the pavement, you would get a clip around the ear from the local Bobby. Now I find myself stepping into the road to avoid people riding bikes on the pavement.

A few minutes on google produces this :-  The Highway Code states: “You must not cycle on a pavement” and Under the Highways Act 1835 s.72 (as amended by s. 85(1) of the Local Government Act 1888), cyclists must not cycle on a footway (pavement) and must  keep to the cyclists’ side of a segregated cycle track. The maximum penalty for cycling on the pavement is a £500 fine however, in most cases, the police will issue a Fixed Penalty Notice (On-the-Spot Fine) of £50.[1] The maximum would only ever be imposed if the Fixed Penalty Notice is contested and taken to court.

I realise why people ride on the pavement but I'm not as quick on my feet as I once was and the bikes sometimes come along at quite a pace, if I step into the road, to avoid the bikes, am I going to suffer the same fate that the cyclists themselves are trying to avoid....being hit by a car !!!!!   Those electric scooters pose an even bigger risk.

2 hours ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

There was a time when, if you rode your bike on the pavement, you would get a clip around the ear from the local Bobby. Now I find myself stepping into the road to avoid people riding bikes on the pavement.

A few minutes on google produces this :-  The Highway Code states: “You must not cycle on a pavement” and Under the Highways Act 1835 s.72 (as amended by s. 85(1) of the Local Government Act 1888), cyclists must not cycle on a footway (pavement) and must  keep to the cyclists’ side of a segregated cycle track. The maximum penalty for cycling on the pavement is a £500 fine however, in most cases, the police will issue a Fixed Penalty Notice (On-the-Spot Fine) of £50.[1] The maximum would only ever be imposed if the Fixed Penalty Notice is contested and taken to court.

I realise why people ride on the pavement but I'm not as quick on my feet as I once was and the bikes sometimes come along at quite a pace, if I step into the road, to avoid the bikes, am I going to suffer the same fate that the cyclists themselves are trying to avoid....being hit by a car !!!!!   Those electric scooters pose an even bigger risk.

These are OK

R.d849ea2855cb2e3be4301a977ae0077b?rik=2

20 hours ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

Cyclists can only keep to the cyclists' side of a segregated cycle track if there are no pedestrians on that side. ?

I cycled to the match on Saturday, along that nice new cycle path down by the old cattle market (parallel to the A52).

On the new stretch (Pentagon to Rear entrance of Costco)... 0.7miles... Cycles only (I assume pedestrians are meant to use the actual pedestrian only footpath on the other side of Chequers Rd?)... 4 times I had to ring my bell to alert pedestrians as I approached in the same direction (so coming from behind them).

On the older stretch, adjacent to Costco, from their rear entrance to the roundabout near KFC... just 0.2 miles... Shared Path (Clearly split and signposted accordingly)... another 5 times!... in 0.2 miles!... where pedestrians ambled along on the cycling side of the solid white line. One even suggested I go on the road... which is bus, taxi and cycle only... one way... in the opposite direction!  ?

Of those 9 groups, not one appeared to realise they were on cycle paths, and thus not one appeared to check over their shoulder to check for bikes approaching from behind.  It was like they were in shock to have witnessed such a thing!  ?

#worksbothways  ?

4 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Cyclists can only keep to the cyclists' side of a segregated cycle track if there are no pedestrians on that side. ?

I cycled to the match on Saturday, along that nice new cycle path down by the old cattle market (parallel to the A52).

On the new stretch (Pentagon to Rear entrance of Costco)... 0.7miles... Cycles only (I assume pedestrians are meant to use the actual pedestrian only footpath on the other side of Chequers Rd?)... 4 times I had to ring my bell to alert pedestrians as I approached in the same direction (so coming from behind them).

On the older stretch, adjacent to Costco, from their rear entrance to the roundabout near KFC... just 0.2 miles... Shared Path (Clearly split and signposted accordingly)... another 5 times!... in 0.2 miles!... where pedestrians ambled along on the cycling side of the solid white line. One even suggested I go on the road... which is bus, taxi and cycle only... one way... in the opposite direction!  ?

Of those 9 groups, not one appeared to realise they were on cycle paths, and thus not one appeared to check over their shoulder to check for bikes approaching from behind.  It was like they were in shock to have witnessed such a thing!  ?

#worksbothways  ?

On the narrow pavements, in the small place where I live, the mixing of bikes and pedestrians will lead to someone being injured, someone will come out of a shop and walk into a bike perhaps knocking the cyclist into the road. 

Im in favour of bikes but not where they endanger people on the pavement.

4 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

On the narrow pavements, in the small place where I live, the mixing of bikes and pedestrians will lead to someone being injured, someone will come out of a shop and walk into a bike perhaps knocking the cyclist into the road. 

Im in favour of bikes but not where they endanger people on the pavement.

Oh, I quite agree.  We can all help to keep ourselves... and others... safe, but there's no accounting for bad/thoughtless design.
Can't say I've ever been tempted to cycle directly past shop doorways, (On what could otherwise be described as "A pavement", even if the signage suggests I'm allowed to.  I can trust pedestrians to be alert when stepping out of the shop no more than I can trust dog walkers to lock their extendable leads at a short length when on such a shared path! ?)
Same as I don't cycle from Burger King to the stadium on a matchday, via the encouraged cycle route, as it's a shared footpath, and there are (obviously) a lot of pedestrians about.  I take the road, around the ToysRus roundabout, stopping at lights if need be, joining queueing traffic if need be, and taking the road over the river bridge, and up to the club shop.  Any other day, I'll be cutting out the roundabout and cycling along "The pavement", seeing as that's also the cycle route.

I do wish the UK would hurry up and catch up with the continent on this subject (Yeah, right!).  Was very impressed with Bruges and Ypres (and surrounding areas), and pretty much everywhere we have been in France, and not always rural.  ?

8 minutes ago, richinspain said:

I've still got my Commodore Vic 20, complete with games and cassette deck with knob and signal lights to adjust the tape head. Twenty minutes of beep, burp, beep, beep whir and then an error message was an absolute buggar.

Ditto for my Sinclair Spectrum

On 22/08/2022 at 10:46, Reggie Greenwood said:

The Dad of a mate of mine won this in the mid 70’s bought a laundrette and repair garage as I recall. My mate was still running the garage a few years ago 

The Sun introduced a Spot the ball competition that was very successful. Maxwell owned the Mirror at the time and introduced his own competition with a prize of £1m and then made sure no one won it until eventually they had to fix it that someone did, just to prove it could happen. I seem to remember that a few years ago someone showed that the Sun’s version wasn’t won in about 10 years of people trying