Attendance next season

NottmRAM

I suspect fans (that predict 20k STHs/32000 opening day) will be in for a shock once the fri 29th deadline drops and the non renewed STs become available. 

By that date my guess will be 14000 STHs

Opening day if Oxford sell out their 2k I reckon 24,000 in attendance.

Does anyone know if unused STs are counted in the attendance as it's a purchased ticket? Our 3 will be unused v Oxford  

Edited by DerbyRevolution

3 hours ago, Miggins said:

Crikey! T20 really rakes the money in, doesn't it?  ?

Four hours guaranteed entertainment with the bat being flung about and all the associated pyrotechnics and big screen entertainment.

Tbf the person who brought this format over to England deserves a knighthood for revitalising cricket. 

Only thing you can't guarantee is the weather......

1 hour ago, DerbyRevolution said:

I suspect fans (that predict 20k STHs/32000 opening day) will be in for a shock once the fri 29th deadline drops and the non renewed STs become available. 

Does anyone know if unused STs are counted in the attendance as it's a purchased ticket? Our 3 will be unused v Oxford  

I've always believed that if a seat is sold, occupied or not, its counted.

4 hours ago, angieram said:

We go to Derbyshire. It's free with our season ticket. Pretty good value for money, really.

And here was I thinking it was just a night of exciting cricket ! Big screens, pyrotechnics! Beer!

Hope that there is good food to accompany the festivities!

As @Tyler Durden said, the person who brought it here deserves a medal for opening cricket up to a whole new audience. It's a great game no matter how it's played. ?

1 hour ago, Miggins said:

And here was I thinking it was just a night of exciting cricket ! Big screens, pyrotechnics! Beer!

Hope that there is good food to accompany the festivities!

As @Tyler Durden said, the person who brought it here deserves a medal for opening cricket up to a whole new audience. It's a great game no matter how it's played. ?

We like to catch up with all our Rams buddies while we watch the match. There's been plenty to chat about this summer, and the cricket isn't bad either! 

Tickets sold, inc. vacant ST seats due to holidays/illness etc can/should be used for financial purposes.

Turnstile clicks for attendance figures.

Anything else is wrong... imo.

I think Rush (rightly imo) took a slating for counting the number of tickets sold as the attendance, to falsely boost our attendance figures.  Not sure whether he was told to stop, or by who, but it did stop eventually.   

It will be interesting to see our average attendance compared to the rest of the league and championship once we get the dd option sorted. 
I expect a countrywide drop in attendance so it will be interesting how we do compared to that post relegation and direct debit delays. 
I won’t read too much in to it until the direct debit is sorted though as that’s one avenue we can’t exploit unlike all other (I assume all) league clubs. 

50 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Tickets sold, inc. vacant ST seats due to holidays/illness etc can/should be used for financial purposes.

Turnstile clicks for attendance figures.

Anything else is wrong... imo.

I think Rush (rightly imo) took a slating for counting the number of tickets sold as the attendance, to falsely boost our attendance figures.  Not sure whether he was told to stop, or by who, but it did stop eventually.   

Arsenal's games are recorded as virtual sell outs every week, but watching highlights on tv, there are loads of empty seats throughout the game, there must be 1,000s of no shows.

30 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Every seat sold counts as a customer. If a match is sold out and I can't buy a ticket why would you not count those who choose to miss the game? Physical attendance isn't important. 

Apart from for the bean counters managing (or not in previous years) the finances, is there any point at all in announcing the attendance at all?

I understand your point but people are interested in how many actually attend the game. I’m sure, on several occasions during the Rush  years, the attendance has been announced and we’ve looked around and thought “no way are there that many here”.

So, I think announcing the physical attendance IS important simply because people are interested in knowing. 

Edited by Tamworthram

35 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Apart from for the bean counters managing (or not in previous years) the finances, is there any point at all in announcing the attendance at all?

I understand your point but people are interested in how many actually attend the game. I’m sure, on several occasions during the Rush  years, the attendance has been announced and we’ve looked around and thought “no way are there that many here”.

So, I think announcing the physical attendance IS important simply because people are interested in knowing. 

Likewise in the past when away teams received a percentage, you used to look around the ground and think that there were more in the ground than the official attendance.

The good old days at the BBG, when there was cash payment at the turnstiles and no electronic recording of turnstile operation, it was open to 'manipulation' of the figures. ?

21 hours ago, DerbyRevolution said:

That would mean at the moment 9000 people not renewing. 

I hope there will be a bit of a push from the club and the press to get people to the opening game. It would seem a bit odd that we were part of a massive effort to save the club yet after a miraculous and brilliant last minute action by Mr Clowes we have a low attendance for our first proper game.

I appreciate things are tough financially but if we can, we need to show the world we’re back and mean business.

A lot of the new players have said the atmosphere of the crowd was part of the attraction.

Let’s raise the roof!

46 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Well I guess there may well be 2 counts going. If people have paid for a ticket but don't use it for whatever reason (holiday, illness etc )then I can understand why that might be added into the figures as that is a realistic assessment of the money made but there is also the issue of a club presumably needing to know how many people actually turned up in case of something catastrophic like a fire or terrorist activity.

2 minutes ago, DerbyRevolution said:

How do you get to that figure? 

Where do you think we currently are between the 10,000 and 15,000 mark?

Impossible to know, and we won't know, until the seats of the people not renewing are released. 

My last count showed there were 6864 seats unallocated.

If you take remove the seats for the away supporters, plus seats used for segregation, you could make the argument there are 30,000 seats available to home supporters which would give a total of 23,136 allocated seats as things stands - allocated seats = new season ticket holders + renewed season tickets + not yet renewed season tickets. 

I know a large number of people - both new season ticket holders and not yet renewed are waiting on a DD option before purchasing which will lead to the second spike in sales. If that doesn't come before the deadline then it will be interesting to see how many people can't make it. 

It looks as though there has been a big uptake in new season tickets, someone else who studied the seat map from last season did approximate at 3k upwards early into the process. The number of allocated seats from 7th July to 18th July grew by 1222 so it wouldn't be surprising. 

I do think a lot comes down to how quickly the club can set up the DD facility. 

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Every seat sold counts as a customer. If a match is sold out and I can't buy a ticket why would you not count those who choose to miss the game? Physical attendance isn't important. 

Because the word "attendance" is in the dictionary. 
I've not checked, but I'm pretty confident it doesn't mean "Number of tickets sold", "Amount of income from sales", or any other such definition.  ?‍♂️
The two are different entities.  Different definitions.  Neither are right or wrong per sé, as stand alone announced figure(s), but they will never be the same thing. (They could of course feasibly be the same figure, technically speaking at least).

I sent 145 invitations to my birthday party.  For some inexplicable reason, only 19 people showed up.  I don't tell people 145 people came to my birthday party!  That would be lying!* 

EGs:

PA Guy 1:
"We can now announce the number of tickets sold for today's match is 27, 128.  We would like to thank you all for your continued custom".

PA Guy 2:
"We can now confirm today's attendance is 26, 876.  We would like to thank you all for your continued and loyal support.  The main Exit doors will be opened on 75 minutes, for your safety and comfort."

*The birthday party scenario was, of course, hypothetical... in reality, it was 15 that showed up, and 9 of them left before dark... and my birthday is in January!  ?  It's still inexplicable though, as I'm sure you'd agree!  ? 

Edited by Mucker1884

23 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Because the word "attendance" is in the dictionary. 
I've not checked, but I'm pretty confident it doesn't mean "Number of tickets sold", "Amount of income from sales", or any other such definition.  ?‍♂️
The two are different entities.  Different definitions.  Neither are right or wrong per sé, as stand alone announced figure(s), but they will never be the same thing. (They could of course feasibly be the same figure, technically speaking at least).

I sent 145 invitations to my birthday party.  For some inexplicable reason, only 19 people showed up.  I don't tell people 145 people came to my birthday party!  That would be lying!* 

EGs:

PA Guy 1:
"We can now announce the number of tickets sold for today's match is 27, 128.  We would like to thank you all for your continued custom".

PA Guy 2:
"We can now confirm today's attendance is 26, 876.  We would like to thank you all for your continued and loyal support.  The main Exit doors will be opened on 75 minutes, for your safety and comfort."

*The birthday party scenario was, of course, hypothetical... in reality, it was 15 that showed up, and 9 of them left before dark... and my birthday is in January!  ?  It's still inexplicable though, as I'm sure you'd agree!  ? 

It's a nice try Mucker, but your example only works if all those people also paid for ticket to come to your birthday party!!

Edit: I do agree with you on the meaning of attendance, though.

Edited by AutoWindscreens

3 minutes ago, AutoWindscreens said:

It's a nice try Mucker, but your example only works if all those people also paid for ticket to come to your birthday party!!

Edit: I do agree with you on the meaning of attendance, though.

You've seen the numbers!  Do you really think I'd have got away with trying to charge them!  It seems even freebies were too expensive!     ?