Academy thread 22/23

RoyMac5

Brown played last year for the u18s a number of times as well but yes has an injury. It seems quite common for first years to experience injuries when first coming in full time. I’m guessing it’s a shock to their bodies when the load increased so dramatically especially when so many are still growing.. 

4 hours ago, ExiledinDerby said:

Brown played last year for the u18s a number of times as well but yes has an injury. It seems quite common for first years to experience injuries when first coming in full time. I’m guessing it’s a shock to their bodies when the load increased so dramatically especially when so many are still growing.. 

Yes, I imagine the step-up from part-time training (if you can even call it that whilst at school) to full-time training as a scholar is massive in terms of intensity and stress on the body. Then add in the fact that the scholars are 16 going on 17, and still growing, it's no wonder there are so many injuries.

That’s not a weak team though. Roberts, Davies, Aideyan, Fapetu, Moore, Robinson, Hawkins all starting. 2nd years missing were Evans (Loan) Moloney, Sebagdo (injured) and I’m not sure where C Richards was. Interesting they started with Z Dixon on the bench after he travelled u21s last week. 

46 minutes ago, ExiledinDerby said:

I’m not sure where C Richards was

38 minutes ago, roboto said:

Think Carlos Richards is going to be more involved with u21 and first team squad this year.

I agree with @roboto, but like @ExiledinDerby I’m also wondering where Carlos Richards was and if he’s injured. Currently, he’s not making the first team match day 18 and with no U21 game this weekend, he could easily have been included in the U18 squad, particularly as they were a player short on the bench and started Darren Robinson (with there being no U21 game).

Richards hasn’t been involved at all for the U18s this season and, after coming off the bench in the U21’s first game of the season, then starting the second, he has been absent from the U21’s last two matches, including last time out against Newcastle when the U21’s were a player short on the subs bench.

46 minutes ago, ExiledinDerby said:

Interesting they started with Z Dixon on the bench after he travelled u21s last week. 

I also though about this but I wonder if Zion Dixon was on the U21 bench to make up the numbers. Lennon Wheeldon has started all four U18 games so far, seemingly ahead of Dixon right now who has made two U18 sub appearances.

The weekend Dixon made the U21 bench, the U21s were away to Newcastle on the Friday, the U18s were away to Man City the following day. With both squads down to the bare bones, I wonder if they picked their strongest starting 11s for both and then filled in the subs benches with the players who were left.

Not sure I’m right, on that, just my speculative thinking.

Edited by Stuniverse

Richards is injured. I agree that Richards Robinson and Evans will all feature mainly for the 21s this year rather than the 18s but be interesting if they are brought back in for the FA youth cup. 

• 2 weeks later...