Academy thread 22/23

RoyMac5

3 hours ago, Jram said:

I guess we’re now paying for 2 years of fast-tracking the best talent into the first team.

Yep. And losing some of our best young talent at bargain basement prices.

Tonight we were without Max Bardell (hamstring), Courtney Clarke (foot), Connor Dixon (hamstring) and Harrison Solomon (injured). Harrison Foulkes, Jake Rooney and Osazee Aghatise weren’t involved, presumably because they might be involved with the first team against Barnsley. There was also no sign of the trialists who were involved against Leeds: Lo-Everton, Mema, Deslandes, Torraj and Wallace.

Bartosz Cybulski played his first game after being out injured and Darren Robinson had to play out of position in central defence. As if that wasn’t bad enough, Jaydan Davidson limped off after around half an hour so Kwaku Oduroh had to move into an advanced role down the right wing so that substitute Rhys Brailsford could play right-back.

The U21 squad is already stretched paper thin and they are only two games into their season. The starting 11 contained four U18s with another two on the bench.

With six U18 players involved for the U21s away at Middlesbrough U21 Friday night, and at least three others injured, it’s highly likely the U18s will need to call on some U16 players for their trip to Sunderland U18s on Saturday.

Edited by Stuniverse

10 hours ago, Stuniverse said:

Yep. And losing some of our best young talent at bargain basement prices.

Tonight we were without Max Bardell (hamstring), Courtney Clarke (foot), Connor Dixon (hamstring) and Harrison Solomon (injured). Harrison Foulkes, Jake Rooney and Osazee Aghatise weren’t involved, presumably because they might be involved with the first team against Barnsley. There was also no sign of the trialists who were involved against Leeds: Lo-Everton, Mema, Deslandes, Torraj and Wallace.

Bartosz Cybulski played his first game after being out injured and Darren Robinson had to play out of position in central defence. As if that wasn’t bad enough, Jaydan Davidson limped off after around half an hour so Kwaku Oduroh had to move into an advanced role down the right wing so that substitute Rhys Brailsford could play right-back.

The U21 squad is already stretched paper thin and they are only two games into their season. The starting 11 contained four U18s with another two on the bench.

With six U18 players involved for the U21s away at Middlesbrough U21 Friday night, and at least three others injured, it’s highly likely the U18s will need to call on some U16 players for their trip to Sunderland U18s on Saturday.

Then you think about all the recent academy lads who would still be eligible (comfortably) but are first team regulars/ have been sold

Williams, Plange, Ebosele, Ebiowei, bird, Sibley, knight, Buchanan, Cashin, Thompson… there’s probably more 

No surprise we’re struggling for numbers and quality 

4 missing through injury, 4 triallists not involved and 3 with the first team. Arguably if Rosie is looking to add roughly 3 to the first team squad, we’ll see numbers flow back down to the U21s (like we did yesterday with Oduroh)?

So there’s definitely numbers to add to the squad (hopefully), and on top of that surely there is an element of getting used to playing together? The first team have shown some of that rustiness already, and they have had more pre season games to iron that out. Patience is key. This is the start of a rebuild for the whole club, U21s and U18s included.

Don’t forget that the u21s is still about developing players for the first team and not just about results. Last night Evans Robinson Hawkins and the others under age are in that squad / team to develop them as players as being in their own age groups doesn’t stretch them enough in their development. They need to be under pressure to develop and they are still getting used to this level and playing with an almost new team of u21s from last year. If it was about results then the likes of Cashin, Thompson and Sibley would be getting minutes in this team…

1 hour ago, ExiledinDerby said:

Don’t forget that the u21s is still about developing players for the first team and not just about results. Last night Evans Robinson Hawkins and the others under age are in that squad / team to develop them as players as being in their own age groups doesn’t stretch them enough in their development. They need to be under pressure to develop and they are still getting used to this level and playing with an almost new team of u21s from last year. If it was about results then the likes of Cashin, Thompson and Sibley would be getting minutes in this team…

Did you watch the game last night? Not much to be learnt by struggling like we did.

Yeah I did I was there. I thought Robinson struggled on the ball so deep, thought our fullbacks were eaten alive by strong powerful runners. Not surprising as one was a first year. Thought Bart off the pace a little but can be excused and thought Nunn flattered… Evans inconsistent but learning and made a couple of very good saves. We didn’t play through the thirds as we couldn’t hold onto the ball. Lots to learn from that for all of them u18s and u21s…

Sunderland U18s 1-0 Derby County U18s

Sunderland_1-0_DerbyCo_1.png.c5c5b115354dd26c889c32acc1ba3d53.png

Sunderland_1-0_DerbyCo_2.png.101a580ad76c0aec2e509b5f8167e68d.png

Sunderland_1-0_DerbyCo_3.png.936aa069bf073c4ba31e05c7f4340a08.png

Sunderland_1-0_DerbyCo_4.png.20aba5ff44167e46a599eba6aacc7d17.png

1. Jack Thompson is in our Academy but not old enough to be a scholar yet. Is he an U16 now @Ghost of Clough?

I have no idea whether 3. Tristan Gill, 11. Johnson Osong, 12. Niall McAndrew, 14 Cruz Allen and 15. Kai Suarc are trialists or younger Academy players playing up in the U18s.

When I saw Farren Simons at Mickleover for the Belper United game he was wearing a protective boot, so it's good to see he was back on the pitch today.

--

Sourcehttps://int.soccerway.com/matches/2022/08/13/england/premier-academy-league/sunderland-fc-under-18-academy/derby-county-fc-under-18-academy/3895897/

First year scholar GK is still injured and Alfie Roberts on Bench for u21s last night. Moloney still out injured as is Sam Sebagdo from the 2nd years…

14 minutes ago, ExiledinDerby said:

First year scholar GK is still injured and Alfie Roberts on Bench for u21s last night. Moloney still out injured as is Sam Sebagdo from the 2nd years…

Thanks, @ExiledinDerbyI saw Sam Sebagabo wearing a protective boot at Mickleover and Matlock for pre-season games.

Any idea what Josh Shattell (first year GK) and Riley Moloney's injuries are?

A quick google suggests Cruz Allen is in our Academy and is a Welsh youth international: https://dragonsoccer.co.uk/newsite/index.php?subaction=showfull&id=1635844177&archive=&start_from=&ucat=17&

Edited by Stuniverse

Riley has had a damaged hip but I’m told he’s back in light training. Good to see u16s and first years getting a chance but will be a steep learning curve at this level….

3 minutes ago, ExiledinDerby said:

Riley has had a damaged hip but I’m told he’s back in light training. Good to see u16s and first years getting a chance but will be a steep learning curve at this level….

It is. Whilst the first team squad is shaping up nicely, the U21 and U18 squads are paper-thin and inexperienced at their respective age levels.

Not sure about Josh injury. They are inexperienced but what they learn this season will be invaluable just like when Bird Sibley Festy Ebowei etc when they went into the first team and had to learn quickly 

1 hour ago, Stuniverse said:

1. Jack Thompson is in our Academy but not old enough to be a scholar yet. Is he an U16 now @Ghost of Clough?

I have no idea whether 3. Tristan Gill, 11. Johnson Osong, 12. Niall McAndrew, 14 Cruz Allen and 15. Kai Suarc are trialists or younger Academy players playing up in the U18s.

When I saw Farren Simons at Mickleover for the Belper United game he was wearing a protective boot, so it's good to see he was back on the pitch today.

--

Sourcehttps://int.soccerway.com/matches/2022/08/13/england/premier-academy-league/sunderland-fc-under-18-academy/derby-county-fc-under-18-academy/3895897/

Tristan, Niall and Cruz are all U16s. First two offered scholars already and Cruz not yet but probably expected to. All made International debuts already 

Many thanks, @ExiledinDerby. Any idea what Josh Shattell (first year GK) injury is?

From what I’ve seen of Jack Thompson and what I’ve heard, baring in mind he’s playing for England u17’s and I believe from when I spoke to a coach I know at the academy, he has been to every single camp for England since he was u15, he definitely has the experience needed and must be a much better gk than shattell even though he is a year younger. Apparently shattell played last game of the season Vs Burnley for the u16 last year and wasn’t anything special 

--

Doing a bit of digging, and it looks like Johnson Osong is also from our academy. Think he's in the U16s. Interestingly, his older brother Detlef Esapa Osong plays for Forest's youth teams, and seems quite well rated over there.

Can't find anything on Suarc.

18 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Tristan, Niall and Cruz are all U16s. First two offered scholars already and Cruz not yet but probably expected to. All made International debuts already 

I’m lead to believe that Jack Thompson has been offered his pro contract already from what I’ve heard 

Evans and Thompson have been considered the future GKs for a number of years now. Both have pro offers both have been with England, Evans turned England down this summer whilst Thompson obviously enjoying it. Both have interest from other clubs as well. It will be definitely a situation to watch as it’s felt in the club that they have 2 of the best in their age groups in the country.