Academy thread 22/23

RoyMac5

3-0 and not pretty. Sonny Perkins was quality for West Ham last year in PL2 and he is terrorising Kelly… we look disjointed and nervous. 

U21 / U18 trialists - knowing when they have signed?

Derby County U21s played Leeds United U21s yesterday and four players who haven't yet been confirmed as signing for Derby played. Of these four, on both Google View and Soccerway, two were named [Jake Rooney and Renaldo Torraj (sub)] and two were listed as trialists [Sonny Blu Lo-Everton (Trialist A) and Armelindo Mema (Trialist B)].

Does this mean Rooney and Torraj have signed (even though not publicly announced yet) and Lo-Everton and Mema are still on trial / yet to sign?

Google View

vLeedsU21_google.png.e2d6f228a11dfcf09109190d50b1b9ed.png

Soccerway

vLeedsU21_soccerway.png.0059e35904f3a1647e2fb1bac3bd3925.png

On the official Derby County Academy Twitter, the club named all four players:

vLeedsU21_twitter.png.863541bafe06b635ef352ef721c71e8b.png

Thoughts?

On 06/08/2022 at 13:45, MorleyRam said:

Just seen this on my twitter feed, I believe endur sports is a business ran by the kit man for the academy from looking at the account, but really good to see Jack Thompson away with England again 

England took three keepers to Norway. They each played one game. Jack didn't play in the first two, which ended with a 0-3 defeat to Norway and a 3-0 win over the Faroe Islands. Norway then lost 2-4 to Finland. It had already been decided before the tournament that Jack would play against Finland. He is still only 15 and a year younger than the other two keepers - Curd (Chelsea) and Proctor (Aston Villa).

Because of the previous results in this friendly tournament, England turned out their strongest side against Finland and won 2-1.

I watched the games against The Faroe Islands and Finland live on an online stream. Jack had a really good game. He made two outstanding saves in the build up to the Finland goal but they scored from close range on the rebound from his second save. Jack was booked when a Finland player took a knock when their goal was scored. It looked harsh to me because I didn't really see any contact. However, I didn't have the benefit of any replays of the incident and I might have missed something.

All of the England teams play out from the back in the same way that Derby do. This of course puts added pressure on the keeper and defenders in terms of passing accuracy. I think that so far, Wildsmith has done this much better than both Allsop and Roos. But in this aspect yesterday, Jack was excellent both throwing and passing out. Every time, he found his man comfortably, allowing the to retain possession effortlessly. It was remarkable for a 15-year old and something he has put a lot of effort into. If he continues his development in the same vein I honestly think he will have a big future ahead of him.

Later in the day, Liam Rosenior commented on his conversation with Wildsmith whose distribution was noticeably better against Mansfield. I'm sure the Derby coaches either have seen or will see Jack's performance against Finland and will be really pleased.

Player Profiles

The player profiles on the Official DCFC site have now been updated to include photos for the First Team, U21s and U18s. Based on that, I can confidently add names to the photo of this season's first-year scholar intake (second-year in the case of Ashia).

2022-23_scholars.thumb.png.8365bae59051c9d137bbd7953fdb794e.png

Left to right: Lennon Wheeldon, Farren Simons, Harry Hawkins, Dejaune Brown, Josh Shattell, Keilan Robinson, Daniel Cox, Jaydan Davidson, Jack Perry, Billy Gough, Cameron Ashia