Krystian Bielik - Joined Birmingham on a 3 year deal

DCFC1388

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

The issue is surely it's hard to bring quality to League One. For me the failure of our recruitment over recent seasons is it has prioritized quantity over quality, rarely bringing in a player who would demonstrably improve the team, instead just another body to add to the squad. To get out of this division we need better players than the other top teams. If Bielik stays then he would be one of those players. It would be a good start.

You need better players than the opposition combined with a manager and coaching staff that gets the most out of them.

Plymouth recruited really well - hardly spent anything - showed what can be done. Granted Ipswich spent money we don’t have but then Barnsley and Peterborough also showed what can be done.

The chance of Three players instead of one - I’d take that risk.

33 minutes ago, rammieib said:

You need better players than the opposition combined with a manager and coaching staff that gets the most out of them.

Plymouth recruited really well - hardly spent anything - showed what can be done. Granted Ipswich spent money we don’t have but then Barnsley and Peterborough also showed what can be done.

The chance of Three players instead of one - I’d take that risk.

Barnsley re I forced really well in January but with loans 

Recruitment shouldn’t be that hard.

You design your model and then only bring in players that compliment that system.

Our strategy was to buy every shiny object we saw for exorbitant prices.

They weren’t bad players, they were just not right for us.

Just like Stephen Hawking was a fantastic appointment for Cambridge University, but if Mel Morris was recruiting for Oxford’s boat race team, you could guarantee he’d be throwing money at him to bring him to Oxford.

57 minutes ago, maydrakin said:

Recruitment shouldn’t be that hard.

You design your model and then only bring in players that compliment that system.

Our strategy was to buy every shiny object we saw for exorbitant prices.

They weren’t bad players, they were just not right for us.

Just like Stephen Hawking was a fantastic appointment for Cambridge University, but if Mel Morris was recruiting for Oxford’s boat race team, you could guarantee he’d be throwing money at him to bring him to Oxford.

Bielik was right for us though. He was exactly what we needed. A ball playing defensive midfielder with power and strength just like Thorne. We may have over paid slightly, but sometimes you just  get unlucky.

9 minutes ago, enachops said:

Bielik was right for us though. He was exactly what we needed. A ball playing defensive midfielder with power and strength just like Thorne. We may have over paid slightly, but sometimes you just  get unlucky.

I’d say that paying £9m for a player with one good season in the third division was absolute madness for a team in the second division.  I said so at the time.

We should have been paying a maximum of a third of that money for him - or loaned him with view to purchase, if promoted.

13 minutes ago, maydrakin said:

I’d say that paying £9m for a player with one good season in the third division was absolute madness for a team in the second division.  I said so at the time.

We should have been paying a maximum of a third of that money for him - or loaned him with view to purchase, if promoted.

Like I said, we overpaid. No one knows exactly how it was structured, but on paper Bielik was perfect for us. He was the sort of signing we should’ve been making. International, young, potential for further profit if it went well. It hasn’t worked out, but the thought process behind it I was fine with. 

2 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

He’s always said he prefers to play at CB. IF we can afford his wages I think he would suit being in the centre of a back 3 with Cash on the left and a new player at RCB. 

Quite the opposite, he's a midfielder at heart but has said in the past that he feels he is 'better' at CB, not that he prefers it.

It's one of those comments that's been misinterpreted when listening to an interview with him, and then the misinterpretation stated as fact.

Edited by Kokosnuss

On 13/05/2023 at 11:27, EnigmaRam said:

He’s always said he prefers to play at CB. IF we can afford his wages I think he would suit being in the centre of a back 3 with Cash on the left and a new player at RCB. 

I'd say he's a very average centre back but a good defensive midfielder. His previous successes have all come in midfield. I can't find anything in the last few years (only a very quick search) to say he'd still rather play in defence. Yes he said that many years ago.

On 13/05/2023 at 09:26, enachops said:

Thorne was twice the all round player from the time I watched them.  Could pick a pass from nothing and slow and speed up possession as required.