Pre Season Friendlies 22/23

24 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

No because we won’t be playing teams of Hertha’s (not Werder) quality or style of play. It will be good if we can beat Leicester but it won’t really help with our preparations for games against League 1 teams.

Last nights defeat was probably of more value (assuming some lessons were learnt) than a nice win against Hertha.

Yeah Hertha I meant. There's more to football than style of play - how can you stay positive if you don't play well? Of course there will be teams that play like Herta and Leicester.

Last night told us some things - mostly that our 'first team reserves' aren't yet good enough. If the team that started against Herta had played last night I think the result would have been different.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah Hertha I meant. There's more to football than style of play - how can you stay positive if you don't play well? Of course there will be teams that play like Herta and Leicester.

Last night told us some things - mostly that our 'first team reserves' aren't yet good enough. If the team that started against Herta had played last night I think the result would have been different.

Or... Stevenage are better than Hertha?

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I agree there is much to be gained from remaining positive but there is more benefit from learning what didn't work well against a team that plays the way Stevenage did (do you honestly think many, if any, league 1 teams are going to approach games against Derby, and play the same style, as Herta did and Leicester probably will?). I still fail to see (other than revenue) what we'll really gain from playing Leicester. We might beat them which would be great but isn't going to tell us much about handling your typical league 1 team. We might get beaten (possibly comfortably depending on what team Leicester put out). Not sure how that would help the feel good factor.

My only real question mark about last night is, were the team too knackered to put in any kind of performance we can learn from? not the opposition chosen. 

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

how can you stay positive if you don't play well?

That was Stevenage's 6th friendly, our 3rd. They've also beat West Brom 2-0 in pre-season, then West Brom beat Oxford 3-0 last night. Just shows how little results matter in pre-season.

Man Utd beat Liverpool 4-0 in a friendly the other day, does that mean Liverpool are going to finish below Man Utd? Highly unlikely.

Yes, the results of preseason games are of little consequence. The performances of the players individually and as a team is a major concern. Last nights performance left a lot to be worried about. After the first two games where we looked more positive in going forward. Last night we seemed to have revert back to the style of play we all to often fell into last season. A style that all to often saw us playing the ball back towards our own goal rather than trying to carry the ball forward.

Last season I put this style of play down to the players we had available. So after the first two games and the recruitment of some experienced players, last nights game left me feeling a little deflated.

52 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Wasn't quite the opposition I was expecting but another chance to work on things before the season kicks off ?

In particular to defend against the lumpball they'll play to  Matt Rhead down that slope! ?‍♀️

Alfreton saying we will play mostly first teamers as a thank you for them helping us out recently.

I am gutted to be missing this as have just rearranged a dominoes match from the night before so we can watch England Women's cricket on Monday night.

Summertime problems! 

Edited by angieram

32 minutes ago, angieram said:

In particular to defend against the lumpball they'll play to  Matt Rhead down that slope! ?‍♀️

Alfreton saying we will play mostly first teamers as a thank you for them helping us out recently.

I am gutted to be missing this as have just rearranged a dominoes match from the night before so we can watch England Women's cricket on Monday night.

Summertime problems! 

We’re not home from the last one yet ? pub lunch sat outside in the beer garden at the Cuckoo, last time we were here was two years ago after the opening day game against Peterborough. Visited Ely Cathedral on the way way back.

42 minutes ago, angieram said:

Summertime problems! 

is there a sport you dont like! ?

6 hours ago, JPRamFan said:

Not sure about this. I know the squad is a little behind in preseason but would have preferred a full week's training before the Oxford opener.

Have to agree. I don’t see what playing away at Alfreton Town 3 days before Oxford is going to achieve. 

Why don’t we just accept the fitness levels we’re at and back our players’ quality to get us through the first few games and build the fitness naturally through the first month. 

5 hours ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

This is a great match for the players to really bring them down to earth ready for league one to start. 

Nice little ground with a great pitch too. I believe their groundsman is a volunteer who's won groundsman of the year quite a few times. 

Only been to the Impact once - with Nephew to watch Luton. 0-5 and Luton had an enormous striker who looked like the troll from Harry Potter, but could play a bit. Queuing for chips on the touch line and standing with Luton fans with all the “landan” twang. Great day out.

Meanwhile got my Leicester ticket and getting over excited again. Don’t think I’ll ever grow up. The hour or so before kick off is like waiting for Thunderbirds to come on TV when you were 6-1/2. 

39 minutes ago, DerbyRevolution said:

Have to agree. I don’t see what playing away at Alfreton Town 3 days before Oxford is going to achieve. 

Why don’t we just accept the fitness levels we’re at and back our players’ quality to get us through the first few games and build the fitness naturally through the first month. 

There are plenty of what we have signed who are nowhere near fit enough or haven’t played together as yet