Housing

SSD

When I first moved to London in 1983, I almost bought a two bed flat in Soho for £80,000 but I wanted a garden so opted for a 3 bed EOT in East Ham for £72,000. The Soho flat now is worth £2,000,000. Moved to the more salubrious Woodford Green in 2001 in a 3 bed semi with garage for £235,000 now worth around £850,000. A couple of doors away, a neighbour had a 4th bedroom added plus 2 loft beds and it’s now on the market for £1,000,000! Prices in London are so stupid.

Housing has always been emotive and the market gets periodically skewed by political initiatives to favour your own voters. 

Mortgage interest relief, dual relief, stamp duty, buy to let etc

Supply of credit has also been a thing in my lifetime. Banks and other institutions muscled into the residential mortgage market in the mid 1980s. Before that it was building societies only. Some of the smaller ones would only lend if you'd been a saver. 

More credit=more money chasing property =price inflation. 

• 1 year later...

The housing market in Iceland is difficult, to say the least.  The listed house values go up very fast in most areas.  What was a value of 54 this year becomes 68 next year, which means much higher property taxes.  We have been searching for a property for over a year now, have looked at dozens of houses and there is always something wrong, the price too high, the condition not good enough and so on.  Finally we found a house we like at a price we can afford, just over 300.000 pounds and in good condition in a nice town about 2 hour drive from Reykjavík.  We get the keys at the end of the month.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a bit of a strange take on housing in the U.K. ,,, you see much as I am not a thatcher fan she was part ways right in the selling of council housing , the big problem was not using the money to build more housing ,

my thoughts are that social housing should be on the basis that rather than paying rent you can pay towards buying the property ( only if you are working ) and you can sell back percentage bought if you want / need to move or trade percentage s with people in the same situation, of course it needs a new proper building program as this is available to old and new housing stock , we need homes and we need a situation where people of differing earning s and financial situations are invested in where they live and keeping properties and area’s decent and have a path to improving they’re lives and situations with real incentive for working ,

it would need real work to regulate and work out the finer details but for me it’s the answer to many of our social problems , I know some will say it’s unfair on those not working but you have to have a line and you may start off renting then change to buying along the line as lives change ,

having a proper secure home is where it all starts and ends for so many

im probably a bit of a commy capitalist 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Archied

51 minutes ago, Archied said:

I have a bit of a strange take on housing in the U.K. ,,, you see much as I am not a thatcher fan she was part ways right in the selling of council housing , the big problem was not using the money to build more housing ,

my thoughts are that social housing should be on the basis that rather than paying rent you can pay towards buying the property ( only if you are working ) and you can sell back percentage bought if you want / need to move or trade percentage s with people in the same situation, of course it needs a new proper building program as this is available to old and new housing stock , we need homes and we need a situation where people of differing earning s and financial situations are invested in where they live and keeping properties and area’s decent and have a path to improving they’re lives and situations with real incentive for working ,

it would need real work to regulate and work out the finer details but for me it’s the answer to many of our social problems , I know some will say it’s unfair on those not working but you have to have a line and you may start off renting then change to buying along the line as lives change ,

We purchased our council house in the mid 80s for £11,950 including a 50% discount, Stayed there for 3 years as stipulated in our contract and sold for £37,950.

There is a huge development of some 3k houses to be built in the next 10 years where I live, One of those "green villages" where the Government give incentives and there must be ex amount of % for social housing, Not one social house has been built yet but plenty to the value of £350k+.

It's a land grab for the developers who buy off the farmer and councils who make money from the house owners in council tax, The Government are paying I guess for a new junction to come off the A50 for the expected traffic for the new estate.

One of the new homes

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/138656159#/?channel=RES_NEW  

3 hours ago, Archied said:

I don't often agree with you politically but yes would be part of the solution, along with greater use of flats in cities and large towns plus govt control over large areas of building land.

Edited by sage

17 minutes ago, sage said:

I don't often agree with you politically but yes would be part of the solution, along with greater use of flats in cities and large towns plus govt control over large areas of building land.

Bet you’d be surprised if we sat down and drew up a list of issues and debated where we come from on them how much we agreed , think often the route to get to where we think is a decent fair society for all may differ a bit at times the vision for how things should be would be very similar 😀

3 minutes ago, Archied said:

Bet you’d be surprised if we sat down and drew up a list of issues and debated where we come from on them how much we agreed , think often the route to get to where we think is a decent fair society for all may differ a bit at times the vision for how things should be would be very similar 😀

Economically closer certainly. Not directed at yourself but re differences these days, i think culture has replaced class as the great divider.

5 hours ago, Archied said:

I may need a lie down. I agree with all of this 😂

7 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

I may need a lie down. I agree with all of this 😂

And all my own thoughts , I’ve never seen anybody try to see it quite that way , as I say , I kind of see myself as a commy capitalist now , I really don’t fit easily on either side of the traditional battle lines hence many on here see me as borderline far right , having a drink after golf many of my friends think I’m a raging lefty 😂😂😂, it’s a funny old world these days

just getting home after today I don’t fit easily on either side of the warne in or out debate , that’s going to take some head scratching 😂

Edited by Archied