Finance thread 2022.

Rev

3 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

This lady is for turning, Not got the support from her minions...reports she's ditching the 45p tax rate...well done Gove and Co ?

https://news.sky.com/story/truss-to-ditch-plans-to-abolish-45p-rate-of-tax-for-higher-earners-12710900

Thoughts and prayers with @TexasRam - now officially the last remaining person who thought this was a good idea ?

One unexpected consequence of this:

Scrapping the 45p tax upset a lot of Tory MPs who thought it was a bad idea/sent out the wrong message - fair enough, but Looney Liz and Krazy Kwarteng have spent the last 10 days sending their loyal supporters out into the country to brief everyone that it was a great idea - u-turning now makes all these folk look like a load of complete muppets - so they are also more than a little pee'd off with the leadership.

Just what the new PM wants, a conference where almost everyone in the hall is annoyed with her......

1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

Andrew Neil pointed out to the obnoxious Tory Party Chairman Jake Berry during his interview last night (well worth a watch if you didn't see it):

Cheers for that recommendation. Desperate stuff.

Also, and let me be absolutely clear about this, the company that does media training for MPs need to stop telling them to say "let me be absolutely clear about this". 

6 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

One unexpected consequence of this:

Scrapping the 45p tax upset a lot of Tory MPs who thought it was a bad idea/sent out the wrong message - fair enough, but Looney Liz and Krazy Kwarteng have spent the last 10 days sending their loyal supporters out into the country to brief everyone that it was a great idea - u-turning now makes all these folk look like a load of complete muppets - so they are also more than a little pee'd off with the leadership.

Just what the new PM wants, a conference where almost everyone in the hall is annoyed with her......

I remember a recent leader who did this regularly. Trying to remember how that ended up for him!

27 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I remember a recent leader who did this regularly. Trying to remember how that ended up for him!

For someone with 'former UK PM' on his CV, about an extra £50,000/hr when doing after-dinner speeches. Plus an additional lifetime pension of £115K/year.

If they carry-on like this, we'll be bankrupted just by having to pay-out ex PM's pensions.

1 hour ago, PistoldPete said:

That's all fine.. but how do we plebs benefit from rich people paying more tax? I missed that bit of the argument.. do we pay less tax now?     

How do us plebs benefit from the rich paying less tax?  Missed that bit if the argument.

Do us plebs have to pay more tax or does it just mean there's less in the public's coffers to pay for things that benefit us plebs. So the benefits of the rich paying their taxes, Mmm.. 

3 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Thoughts and prayers with @TexasRam - now officially the last remaining person who thought this was a good idea ?

I see the jealous crybabies got their way. Oh well doesn’t effect me, but sad to see so many people with the green eyed monster. Hopefully now though we can give more free cash to the scroungers and free loaders to buy fags and Tins with. 

18 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

At least that way the money goes back into, and grows the local economy, rather than into tax  havens eh?

So I’ve obviously stereotyped (a little bit) but the irony is so many have on here about people in the higher tax bracket, and you have again. It’s a sad way to be 

2 hours ago, 1of4 said:

How do us plebs benefit from the rich paying less tax?  Missed that bit if the argument.

Do us plebs have to pay more tax or does it just mean there's less in the public's coffers to pay for things that benefit us plebs. So the benefits of the rich paying their taxes, Mmm.. 

What I mean is that I have missed the announcement that the Government is increasing its spending as result of money saved through not cutting highest rate of tax. . Nor is it reducing taxes for us instead of reducing tax for the highest earners. So we don't lose or benefit either way directly.

25 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

So I’ve obviously stereotyped (a little bit) but the irony is so many have on here about people in the higher tax bracket, and you have again. It’s a sad way to be 

There's a good chance Tex that those who have had the 45p removed might have made millions anyway betting against the fall of the £, Maybe had some info from those inside with the knowledge...makes you wonder aye ?

image.thumb.png.3cf5dcd62842d659ffdd964640f443a7.png

image.thumb.png.ce16850e18b9fa5f70919b94fa61676e.png

Edited by Unlucky Alf

1 minute ago, Unlucky Alf said:

There's a good chance Tex that those who have had the 45p removed might have made millions anyway betting against the fall of the £, Maybe had some info from those inside with the knowledge...makes you wonder aye ?

Lucky them then imo, wish I had the opportunity 

16 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Lucky them then imo, wish I had the opportunity 

Lucky? So you're admitting that it's naff all to do with "working hard" - it's all about the old school tie, the funny handshakes and the golden "opportunities" to get rich at any one else's expense (whilst maintaining the arrogance of someone who thinks they are too powerful to go to prison for it). 

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

I see the jealous crybabies got their way. Oh well doesn’t effect me, but sad to see so many people with the green eyed monster. Hopefully now though we can give more free cash to the scroungers and free loaders to buy fags and Tins with. 

Yeah, I'm out celebrating this latest huge windfall already...

giphy.gif

15 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Lucky? So you're admitting that it's naff all to do with "working hard" - it's all about the old school tie, the funny handshakes and the golden "opportunities" to get rich at any one else's expense (whilst maintaining the arrogance of someone who thinks they are too powerful to go to prison for it). 

Just doesn’t bother me if they are doing well for themselves. However again your stereotypical view on people who earn good money is rather nauseating. 

2 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Just doesn’t bother me if they are doing well for themselves. However again your stereotypical view on people who earn good money is rather nauseating. 

I'm fine with people doing well for themselves, but I'm also fine with the top slice paying a higher rate of tax on their earnings over £150,000. I think it's the socially responsible thing to do in difficult times.

12 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

So you condone the illegal activity that is insider dealing with a maximum punishment of ten years imprisonment and just regret that you didn’t have the opportunity to commit the offence yourself? Weird.

I don't think Tex was going that far...but if he was then he reminds me of Gerald Ratner...remember him, Giving a speech to an audience concerning his wares he was selling in his shops comparing one of his products as...total carp?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/aug/22/gerald-ratner-jewellery-total-crap-1992-archive