Finance thread 2022.

Rev

2 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

This is what I do without advice/told, I do it as a matter of my choice

1. I turn my heating on at the thermostat which I set at 18 then turn off when I'm warm, It's never set to come on

2. Boiler turned down to what the instructions say in the manual...liked by Boycie ?

3. Radiators are on all the time with thermostats 

4. No lights on, Even at night, I sit and watch TV in the dark

5. All devices switched off at the plug except TV and Q box when I mocch off to bed

6. See above

7. Only myself at home, Kettle filled a quarter full

8. I have loft insulation and it's boarded out

9. No drafts

10. See 7 ?

If you has someone to share with you would reduce your costs and maybe find other ways to keep warm.  

11 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

If you has someone to share with you would reduce your costs and maybe find other ways to keep warm.  

If I had lets say a female companion and I invited her to move in, I'd expect that the lady would contribute to the household economy(no mortgage)I'd lose my 25% discount on Council Tax, Lock stock and Barrel I spend around £700 and change a month on what I need.

As to find "other ways of keep warm" I have a very thick Quilt on my bed, So I guess when we retire to bed...it would be very hot Sweating Leroy Sane GIF by FC Bayern Munich

10 hours ago, Ramarena said:

Bank of England are ending the emergency intervention of Friday.

Squeeky bum time for the pension funds!

My pension fund as it stands, has lost 17% of its max. value.

I’m of a mind they’re a big Ponzi scheme. City spivs getting rich on the back of the working class, who’d a thunk it?

24 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

I’m of a mind they’re a big Ponzi scheme. City spivs getting rich on the back of the working class, who’d a thunk it?

Changed my pension fund to cash 2 years ago.

Edited by cstand

5 hours ago, Crewton said:

It's just an issue of interest rate differentials between the US and the UK, according to the Member of Parliament for the 19th century, nothing to do with the markets concluding that the government are economically illiterate and living on borrowed time. Nothing to see here folks. 

I thought it was a sometime in the future Labour gov that was to blame?

Now I’m confused!

4 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

I’m sure I remember reading that pensions are backed to something like 80%????

That said it would be tax payers footing the bill, so not exactly painless, especially given taxation wouldn’t cover it.

On 30/09/2022 at 09:35, TexasRam said:

Must of learnt loads of incorrect facts, unlike yourself Yoda. 
So if you’re solar and wind energy is so efficient and supplying the UK with energy, why have our bills increased so much? Has the cost of wind and sunshine increased? ……or is It because they actually don’t provide that much ? 

Did you know solar panels become less efficient when they get hotter?

Roughly speaking, our electricity is generated by three main sources: Gas (60%), Wind (25%), and Nuclear (15%).
In the last 10 years, nuclear energy output has remained fairly constant, gas output has dropped from 25GW to 13GW, with wind climbing from 2GW to 8.5GW. Note: overall demand has also dropped by8GW.
At the current rate, it'll only be another 20 years for wind power to completely replace gas. Although, plans are supposedly in place to increase wind production by 40GW by 2030!

On a side note, I never see anyone comment on the negative impact of wind power. After all, all of that energy is coming from the air... that must be impacting the environment one way or another.

29 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Roughly speaking, our electricity is generated by three main sources: Gas (60%), Wind (25%), and Nuclear (15%).
In the last 10 years, nuclear energy output has remained fairly constant, gas output has dropped from 25GW to 13GW, with wind climbing from 2GW to 8.5GW. Note: overall demand has also dropped by8GW.
At the current rate, it'll only be another 20 years for wind power to completely replace gas. Although, plans are supposedly in place to increase wind production by 40GW by 2030!

On a side note, I never see anyone comment on the negative impact of wind power. After all, all of that energy is coming from the air... that must be impacting the environment one way or another.

Great news to be price of our bills should reduce significantly then, unless the cost of wind is increasing. 

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

There is always the odd clever dick who tries to catch out the Greens by highlighting a bird that has flown into a wind turbine and died. 

Which seems a bit silly. A bird flew into my bedroom window and died last week. Doesn't mean windows are evil. Plus the number of birds that die as a result of anything other than cats or bigger birds is pretty infinitesimal

Ground mounted solar farms are probably the worse ecologically, as they are disrupting the ecosystem by preventing sunlight reaching plant life

2 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Great news to be price of our bills should reduce significantly then, unless the cost of wind is increasing. 

The way the UK energy system works means that the price of renewable energy is tied to the price of gas - if gas prices go up, so do renewable energy prices. 

I'm sure there is a good reason for it, but I've no idea what it is. On paper it looks idiotic.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

On sa side note, I never see anyone comment on the negative impact of wind power. After all, all of that energy is coming from the air... that must be impacting the environment one way or another.

I had the same conversation with my father about the fact that, according to Newton, you can’t actually create energy. You can only convert it from one form to another. Therefore, there must be some downwind impact of converting wind energy into electricity (same with wave/tidal power). His response was that there is so much wind energy flying around (literally) that the amount converted wouldn’t have an impact (or something like that). My dad is very intelligent but I wasn’t entirely convinced. 

21 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

The way the UK energy system works means that the price of renewable energy is tied to the price of gas - if gas prices go up, so do renewable energy prices. 

I'm sure there is a good reason for it, but I've no idea what it is. On paper it looks idiotic.

Seems well worth it then, a little dot on the map making zero impact on the over all global carbon reduction and not passing on the green savings to its populous. Bravo ??  That’s a cause to get behind ?

37 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

There is always the odd clever dick who tries to catch out the Greens by highlighting a bird that has flown into a wind turbine and died. 

Which seems a bit silly. A bird flew into my bedroom window and died last week. Doesn't mean windows are evil. Plus the number of birds that die as a result of anything other than cats or bigger birds is pretty infinitesimal

Ground mounted solar farms are probably the worse ecologically, as they are disrupting the ecosystem by preventing sunlight reaching plant life

How do they get the electricity from the turbines to the homes then? Float it through the air? ? Lots of 'infrastructure' needed in places that are you know a bit rural...

Edited by RoyMac5