Finance thread 2022.

Rev

3 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Of course, I'm forgetting that everyone on the dole smokes 40 a day and owns a new iPhone. 

And has a flat screen tv, of course (although where you would buy one containing a cathode ray tube might take a bit of a search).

43 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

A question for you good people.

When you're evaluating something do you consider what it cost you, or what it will cost you to replace?

I bought a load of ready to burn logs about a year ago just before wood shot up (cue some Kenneth Williams memes).

Each log worked out at about 40p, but if I had to buy it now it would be more than double that.

Soooo, when Mrs Badger is tossing my wood on the stove (more memes please) without a care in the world, should I be thinking that's another 80p up in smoke, that's 40p up in smoke, or should I just get a life and relax?

If Mrs Badger is tossing your wood regularly then just relax.

40 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

When you're evaluating something do you consider what it cost you, or what it will cost you to replace?

I bought a load of ready to burn logs about a year ago just before wood shot up (cue some Kenneth Williams memes).

Each log worked out at about 40p, but if I had to buy it now it would be more than double that.

Soooo, when Mrs Badger is tossing my wood on the stove (more memes please) without a care in the world, should I be thinking that's another 80p up in smoke, that's 40p up in smoke, or should I just get a life and relax?

Value your stock on a FIFO basis (first in first out) unless you're American, and be sure to carry out a stock take every 6 months of course.

Then you can update your balance sheet accordingly.

Makes tossing the wood on the stove much more exciting when you can think of the spreadsheet changes you'll need to make whilst doing so.

5 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Value your stock on a FIFO basis (first in first out) unless you're American, and be sure to carry out a stock take every 6 months of course.

Then you can update your balance sheet accordingly.

Makes tossing the wood on the stove much more exciting when you can think of the spreadsheet changes you'll need to make whilst doing so.

It'll certainly make it last longer

On 07/10/2022 at 18:57, Bob The Badger said:

Be thankful that you have ample wood so Mrs B doesn't need to go searching for wood in the local park.

51 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

I've not a problem with advice whether good or bad, It's being told what to do I have issues with ?

Surely it’s a very fine line, and open to interpretation, what the difference is between being given advice and being told what to do. 

Would you consider the following, which is probably the sort of thing they would have said, as advice or being told what to do?

Turn your thermostat down 1 degree

Turn your boiler down to …. (Whatever the best setting happens to be)

Turn off radiators in rooms you don’t use

Switch off lights in rooms not in use

Unplug devices not in use

Avoid leaving things on standby

Don’t fill your kettle when only making one or two cups of tea

Check the insulation in your loft

Check for drafts and fix them if you can

Tell your partner to put a third jumper on rather than turning the central heating on ?

14 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Surely it’s a very fine line, and open to interpretation, what the difference is between being given advice and being told what to do. 

Would you consider the following, which is probably the sort of thing they would have said, as advice or being told what to do?

Turn your thermostat down 1 degree

Turn your boiler down to …. (Whatever the best setting happens to be)

Turn off radiators in rooms you don’t use

Switch off lights in rooms not in use

Unplug devices not in use

Avoid leaving things on standby

Don’t fill your kettle when only making one or two cups of tea

Check the insulation in your loft

Check for drafts and fix them if you can

Tell your partner to put a third jumper on rather than turning the central heating on ?

This is what I do without advice/told, I do it as a matter of my choice

1. I turn my heating on at the thermostat which I set at 18 then turn off when I'm warm, It's never set to come on

2. Boiler turned down to what the instructions say in the manual...liked by Boycie ?

3. Radiators are on all the time with thermostats 

4. No lights on, Even at night, I sit and watch TV in the dark

5. All devices switched off at the plug except TV and Q box when I mocch off to bed

6. See above

7. Only myself at home, Kettle filled a quarter full

8. I have loft insulation and it's boarded out

9. No drafts

10. See 7 ?

1 hour ago, Unlucky Alf said:

This is what I do without advice/told, I do it as a matter of my choice

1. I turn my heating on at the thermostat which I set at 18 then turn off when I'm warm, It's never set to come on

2. Boiler turned down to what the instructions say in the manual...liked by Boycie ?

3. Radiators are on all the time with thermostats 

4. No lights on, Even at night, I sit and watch TV in the dark

5. All devices switched off at the plug except TV and Q box when I mocch off to bed

6. See above

7. Only myself at home, Kettle filled a quarter full

8. I have loft insulation and it's boarded out

9. No drafts

10. See 7 ?

Maybe so but you haven't answered my question. Would you consider these bullet points to the general public as advice or being told?

3 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

I've not a problem with advice whether good or bad, It's being told what to do I have issues with ?

The thing that was cancelled was public information with ideas on how to save energy.

Kwasi Kwarteng wasn't coming round to inspect your draught excluders 

Edited by sage

28 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Maybe so but you haven't answered my question. Would you consider these bullet points to the general public as advice or being told?

I'd consider that as advice

If you'd had put..."do these" in front of those bullet points, Id say "told"

If you'd had put ..."this is good advice" in front of those bullet points, I'd say "advice"

People can interpret things as they see fit, It's how that person sees the bullet points sent to them