POLL: How have you traditionally shown your support for Derby County?

Mostyn6

How do you show your support? (be truthful, it's anonymous)  

171 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Good poll.

Think you need two more categories though: (1) Goes to most away games; (2) Goes to literally ever single game regardless.

@angieram, @B4ev6is, (myself!), etc, would be in Category 1.

Mick Derby, Nick Webster, etc, in Category 2. Pretty sure Mick Derby has gone to pretty much every single game, home and away, for decades. That's a level above your average season ticket holder and those that go to most away games.

I would go to every away game if i could afford it, dont drive, so that dosnt help,so i dont think going to away games classes you as a better supporter, because not everyones circumstances are the  same. I love the Rams regardless.

55 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

While I respect your experience, I  think this season has been anything but "draining", "miserable", or "pointless" on the pitch. The pride I've felt when the lads have given absolutely everything has been huge.

Even if we do go down, this team will be one that will stick in the memory for a long time. For me, that's the opposite of pointless.

Agree, have enjoyed this season for the first time in years, everyone as got behind the team, the atmosphere as been brill.

2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Just thinking back to the changes from GSE to Morris and how the change in management and style, and ultimately results, saw a sharp increase in attendances. I think we went from an average of 23k in 2012/13 to 29k two season later. A nice jump of 6k doesn't sound much, but it's over 25%.

From Derby fans I actually know, there was a mixture of fans who stayed away cos of GSE, stayed away cos of Clough, stayed away cos of the football/results, and some that weren't really that committed and did other things instead.

So leading into next season, and sorry B4, it appears we are going to be relegated, do we think the league we are in will see a further drop in attendance?

I'm optimistic we'll get strong attendances in League One next season. The mood of a fanbase generally dictates where crowd numbers sit within a club's historical confines & with Derby (likely) going into next season with a new owner and a fresh start, it should see most fans in a better place mentally than the last 2 seasons. There is also the novelty factor of playing teams we haven't played in a long while & well supported clubs who find themselves in League One also - Sunderland, Sheff Weds, Portsmouth, Bolton, Ipswich will all bring good away support & interest.

Re your point about GSE & connecting crowd drop off then with next season, we only started to see the lower crowds after a few seasons of stagnation. Immediately after our relegation in 07/08, our average crowds were very high for the first couple of seasons (29k), then dropped to 26k for the next couple & only dropped to 23k by 2012/13 - our 5th consecutive season in Championship (Full table of season averages whilst at Pride Park below).

My bet for next season - assuming Rooney stays & we get to operate as a proper club again bringing in players, I reckon an average of around 24k with 30k plus in for Sunderland/Sheff Weds games. If we're still in League One in 2/3 seasons time, then yes crowds may well drop at that point.

image.png.9cd0caa55e48ea645c5f51b79fd5e6c9.png

17 minutes ago, Kathcairns said:

I would go to every away game if i could afford it, dont drive, so that dosnt help,so i dont think going to away games classes you as a better supporter, because not everyones circumstances are the  same. I love the Rams regardless.

That could apply to any option in the poll though, and is presumably why this option is there:

image.png

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

50 minutes ago, Kathcairns said:

Just referring to a small percentage of away fans that do think they are better fans because they go away. Not the majority i hope.

Generally don't think that's the case. We go now because our circumstances have changed (retirement) so we're making the most of it while we can afford it and still have the energy.

Anyway, Mostyn's poll is about gauging Pride Park attendances, not away ones, so DFR'S distinctions are a bit irrelevant! 

Former 40 games plus per season merchant who grew out of it and just goes whenever the lads fancy a day on the booze now. Will continue that fine tradition for the forseeable no matter the division. 

Find it feels more special when I go now than when it was just part of a routine and the same faces every week.

Probably knock that on the head if I ever have a son to indoctrinate from the safety of the North Stand. 

Never listen to the commentary any more though and rarely watch if we're on TV.

Can't see myself getting a season ticket until I'm a pensioner.

Half fan at best.

20 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Former 40 games plus per season merchant who grew out of it and just goes whenever the lads fancy a day on the booze now. Will continue that fine tradition for the forseeable no matter the division. 

Find it feels more special when I go now than when it was just part of a routine and the same faces every week.

Probably knock that on the head if I ever have a son to indoctrinate from the safety of the North Stand. 

Never listen to the commentary any more though and rarely watch if we're on TV.

Can't see myself getting a season ticket until I'm a pensioner.

Half fan at best.

I think I'm very similar to yourself. Have broke the addiction to it. I recall panicking about getting tickets for away games for years. Now I'm not fussed. I no longer live in Derby(shire), and don't know when I'll next attend Pride Park. It became robotic when I was a Season Ticket holder and I attended out of habit more than desire.  I actually resent myself for pumping so much of my money into being a Derby supporter. I would love that money in my bank right now!

i am a die hard armchair internet supporter.  i own a Derby cap which i walk around in, in public too with a seeming sheepish expression and when someone makes a comment, and it is always the same one, they get the Ram.  Oh, so are you a Derby County fan?  Yeah, you got a problem with that?

We all do what we can.

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Generally don't think that's the case. We go now because our circumstances have changed (retirement) so we're making the most of it while we can afford it and still have the energy.

Anyway, Mostyn's poll is about gauging Pride Park attendances, not away ones, so DFR'S distinctions are a bit irrelevant! 

My problem is retirement, could afford to go when at work. Got the time and energy now, but not the wages??

26 minutes ago, Kathcairns said:

My problem is retirement, could afford to go when at work. Got the time and energy now, but not the wages??

Over 60 railcard and split ticket reduces train travel costs.

As a society we should be embracing shared car travel without the increased insurance costs

Had a season ticket until university and couldn't afford to regularly attend due to the distance from Lancaster to Derby. For the past few years, I've regularly attended between 12-25 games a season depending on finances and work commitments as it's not uncommon for me to need to work during the weekend unfortunately. But our league position does not affect my support or my willingness to attend, it's something I've been brought up with and would attend even if we were playing in the conference. Apart from seeing my gf and buying books, it's probably the thing I spend the most money on in terms of leisure. I'm hoping to get a season ticket next season as I've applied for a few well-paying jobs so if I get something then I shall buy one.  

Had an ST since PP opened and I'll probably have one as long as both the club and I are around to maintain the relationship. Before that, I had a ST for 12 out of the other 28 seasons since I started going regularly, depending on how flush I was, where I was living etc. Sometimes the decision not to renew coincided with relegation on the basis that it was hard to justify the cost to the O/H when we were crap, so in those seasons I tended to pick and choose my home games and away games, but rarely went to fewer than 20 a season. I think perhaps 81/82 was my "lowest ebb", purely for financial reasons. 

I do know a few people who stopped going during the Clough/GSE years for a variety of reasons - perceived lack of investment and disillusionment with modern football/EPL etc - most have never been back to league football at all.

Late 60's and early 70's home and away, force's 75 to 84 started going home and away again 84 we were in div 3, decided had enough at wigan away for we had a fat overweight john robertson on the wing absolute rubbish, yet Derby was paying him first div wages! never changes does it approx 40 years later. started going to the races on saturday's for had met a trainer with 80 horses in training and always had a free ticket for owners and trainers area, left derbyshire 1992 so went to a couple of games a season till 2001.