The Ukraine War

Day

3 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Land corridor from crimea to Russia I thought. Although why that's so necessary is not clear as there hasn't been any sign of Ukraine attacking the crimea in the last 8 years. 

The land corridor is often mentioned...although it would seem entirely unnecessary given that there is already a bridge linking Russia to Crimea by road and rail. 

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Seems to be a steady increase in rhetoric from both sides in the last 24-48 hours. 

Russia being quoted as referring to "WW3". 

Sounds worrying. 

Unless something happens to putin to get him out of power ww3 is where we are headed 

2 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Seems to be a steady increase in rhetoric from both sides in the last 24-48 hours. 

Sounds worrying. 

Whilst I’m by no means an expert on relative military strengths (as in I know nothing), I really don’t see Russia taking on the whole of NATO in a full scale war. I can’t see how they could possibly win such a conflict especially as they are struggling to even defeat Ukraine (albeit Ukraine are heavily supported with hardware from the West). I strongly suspect that if NATO unleashed it’s military might, particularly air power in an offensive role, Russia would be no match. I therefore think (and hope) it is rhetoric but, as I say, I’m no military expert.

The two biggest fears for me are:

1) If Putin literally chooses the nuclear option rather than face the humiliation of defeat or having to step back

2) If China forms an alliance with Russia

On 20/04/2022 at 18:59, Van der MoodHoover said:

Land corridor from crimea to Russia I thought. Although why that's so necessary is not clear as there hasn't been any sign of Ukraine attacking the crimea in the last 8 years. 

Yes, and by extension access to a warm water port to house their fleet. And for Crimea, chance to have direct access to basic utilities such as fresh water supplies.

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Whilst I’m by no means an expert on relative military strengths (as in I know nothing), I really don’t see Russia taking on the whole of NATO in a full scale war. I can’t see how they could possibly win such a conflict especially as they are struggling to even defeat Ukraine (albeit Ukraine are heavily supported with hardware from the West). I strongly suspect that if NATO unleashed it’s military might, particularly air power in an offensive role, Russia would be no match. I therefore think (and hope) it is rhetoric but, as I say, I’m no military expert.

The two biggest fears for me are:

1) If Putin literally chooses the nuclear option rather than face the humiliation of defeat or having to step back

2) If China forms an alliance with Russia

3) The whole conflict grinds out eternally as funding from either side results in a bloody stalemate that does nothing but raze the whole country of Ukraine to the ground.

Q: and I don't have the answer for this (which will please some :-)). Who is paying for the tanks that Germany is sending to Ukraine? German tax payers? NATO? Ukraine through leveraged loans? They certainly ain't getting left under a Christmas tree with a card for Zelensky saying "thought you would appreciate these".

20 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Detail Mr. VdMH, details.....

A bit like the Government celebrating our freedom of entry into Portugal that they have secured as a result of post-Br***t negotiations.

I was going to say that we should annex the Costa del Sol as there's loads of ethnic English speakers living there.... ?

7 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Sounds worrying. 

I'm not overly concerned tbh. Putin doesn't have sole control over nuclear weapons which mitigates the dangers if he really does go off the rails. I think the lesson to take from Ukraine is the military weakness of Russia, I think Putin anticipated an invasion that would roll up Ukraine in a couple of weeks and has found logistically, tactically, and with their hardware, they're unable to do it. NATO as a collective seem to see this as a 'red line' (an actual red line not Obama's Syrian red line) and this has already seen Russia focus now on a smaller territorial land grab than what they did have in mind. 

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

3) The whole conflict grinds out eternally as funding from either side results in a bloody stalemate that does nothing but raze the whole country of Ukraine to the ground.

Q: and I don't have the answer for this (which will please some :-)). Who is paying for the tanks that Germany is sending to Ukraine? German tax payers? NATO? Ukraine through leveraged loans? They certainly ain't getting left under a Christmas tree with a card for Zelensky saying "thought you would appreciate these".

Who is paying for all of the hardware provided by the NATO countries not just the German tanks? My guess is the countries providing them will be covering the cost so, the analogy you have suggested could well be true - maybe they are effectively “gifts to Ukraine. Ukraine will be suffering enough economically and I would have thought any loans for the equipment would be crippling. Whether we agree with it or not, I think Putin is right and NATO are fighting Russia by proxy (and without risking the lives of their members troops…..for now).

16 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Who is paying for all of the hardware provided by the NATO countries not just the German tanks? My guess is the countries providing them will be covering the cost so, the analogy you have suggested could well be true - maybe they are effectively “gifts to Ukraine. Ukraine will be suffering enough economically and I would have thought any loans for the equipment would be crippling. Whether we agree with it or not, I think Putin is right and NATO are fighting Russia by proxy (and without risking the lives of their members troops…..for now).

If only America had taken the same approach with us in WWdeux......

2 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

If only America had taken the same approach with us in WWdeux......

Indeed. Or better still if the perpetrators of each conflict, whoever we all feel was/is responsible, hadn't started it in the first place. The financial implications for all involved on both sides will be significant but I think we can all agree it pales into insignificance compared to the human cost and suffering.