The Ukraine War

Day

3 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Putin reaches a new low,targeting a packed shopping precinct with precision missiles just as the g7 is meeting to discuss the conflict.

He's an evil b****** isn't he and just justifies further staying strong in the face of his intimidation.

The sanctions must be hurting him.

Is it wishful thinking, or is he really riddled with cancer and not long for this world? 

On 12/06/2022 at 20:38, Boycie said:

I understand that, but I want to believe that once Putin has gone they’ll all look at each other waiting for one to say “thank god” and they’ll try to make amends without losing too much face.

Sadly, not much chance of that. A bit like those looking to get rid of BoJo, it warrants a little study of who is likely to come after if that were to happen. Let me assure you, there are many in the wings who make Putin look like a choirboy.

14 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Sadly, not much chance of that. A bit like those looking to get rid of BoJo, it warrants a little study of who is likely to come after if that were to happen. Let me assure you, there are many in the wings who make Putin look like a choirboy.

It's hard to know what the potential successors will be like really, as their actions and words over the Putin era may well have been calibrated to please Putin rather than being self motivated. After all anyone opposing Putin is not going to hold a position of power for long in the first place.

The prime minister Mishustin may well be a lot more moderate than Putin.  I think there are a number of candidates who might be far more promising for Ukraine and the West than the current version of Putin (who seems to be far less risk averse now than he was in previous years), at least that's the impression I get from listening to the experts.  One man that has been tipped to replace Putin, is the head of Russia's security council, Nikolai Patrushev.  A Russia led by Patrushev is a terrifying prospect.

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's bordering on Politics but surely Liz Truss isn't in with a shout of being PM?

Has everyone forgot her role in this war where she casually made threat and made promises she can't keep. 

She sends people to the Gulag and now she's linked to PM?

I guess Russia/Ukraine is old news. The Internet is probably on another crusade now to aggressively fight another worthy cause for 2 months before not giving a flying feck.

(Social media directed rage is included in this post)

59 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I know it's bordering on Politics but surely Liz Truss isn't in with a shout of being PM?

Has everyone forgot her role in this war where she casually made threat and made promises she can't keep. 

She sends people to the Gulag and now she's linked to PM?

I guess Russia/Ukraine is old news. The Internet is probably on another crusade now to aggressively fight another worthy cause for 2 months before not giving a flying feck.

(Social media directed rage is included in this post)

All empty rhetoric from our leaders. And putin knows it. 

Truss on the way home to "make a statement" which suggests that she might stand. 

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Truss on the way home to "make a statement" which suggests that she might stand. 

Putin does but she provided more quotes for Russian media than Zelensky! 

She should run for his PR manager instead. 

It's a bit like when Piers Morgan says something horrible about someone. You instantly warm toward whoever it is. 

Surely, surely with all the trade arguments with Ireland and her talk over Russia she can't have enough support.

Obviously no politics on the thread about who we should/shouldn't have but Lizz Truss?

Truss!?! We'd be asking Zelensky for aid by Christmas

5 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

She was representing the UK at a G20 meeting, so by returning early, she’s putting person ambition above the country’s interest, (as per bleeding usual).

6 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

She was representing the UK at a G20 meeting, so by returning early, she’s putting person ambition above the country’s interest, (as per bleeding usual).

I saw some bloke on telly this morning 3 times putting himself forward as a candidate.  I had no idea who he was.  Then a woman who apparently has being putting a bid together behind the scenes. No idea.  Tells me all I need to know really.

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I saw some bloke on telly this morning 3 times putting himself forward as a candidate.  I had no idea who he was.  Then a woman who apparently has being putting a bid together behind the scenes. No idea.  Tells me all I need to know really.

Was the woman suella braverman? A sort of low rent priti patel with a law degree. 

• 1 month later...

Moscow car bombing of Darya Dugina...Solved

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62634359

Now at 1st thought it pointed to Ukraine Special Forces...but the Russian investigation has now come out and said they are aware of who is responsible.

Now that's some investigation after circa 48 hours, Was this an inside job as collateral damage to point a finger at Ukraine so they can do more bombing in Ukraine?

42 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Moscow car bombing of Darya Dugina...Solved

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62634359

Now at 1st thought it pointed to Ukraine Special Forces...but the Russian investigation has now come out and said they are aware of who is responsible.

Now that's some investigation after circa 48 hours, Was this an inside job as collateral damage to point a finger at Ukraine so they can do more bombing in Ukraine?

There are other theories too:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/aug/21/ex-russian-mp-claims-russian-partisans-responsible-for-moscow-car-bomb

4 hours ago, Crewton said:

It seems a strange target for Ukraine special forces to go after, a bit like deciding you are going to get inside the House of Commons to take out a senior government leader and then finding yourself choosing Alister Jack as your prime target. Look, the fog of war is present at every turn but it just sounds like a lot of effort for quite a - with grandest respect to his daughter - hardly the highest profile of return.

6 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

It seems a strange target for Ukraine special forces to go after, a bit like deciding you are going to get inside the House of Commons to take out a senior government leader and then finding yourself choosing Alister Jack as your prime target. Look, the fog of war is present at every turn but it just sounds like a lot of effort for quite a - with grandest respect to his daughter - hardly the highest profile of return.

The reporting of the switching of cars by her Father smacks of an inside job, Why would he?, Or why would someone tell him too?

I agree lads - this sounds more like an "inside" job : part of the anti-Putin struggle within Russia. Sad (whatever her views of the war) that a young woman has lost her life because of that. But, of course, Putin will use this as justification for killing more Ukrainian civilians. 

This link has been shown blanket on Russian television. I guess we all understand she was wary of getting caught in the same trap as Corbyn was when asked the same question. But her handling of it, and the response from the audience, are just another example (along with her comments about Macron) that we are about to enter the most dangerous of times with the most stupid of leaders at the helm. And one that thinks success is appealing to the very worst of the most extreme of her supposed supporters.

She is a serial offender, from her teenage performances at Lib Dem conferences, of saying anything as long as she thinks it is what people want to hear. But when she is perceived to speak for a nation that becomes very, very worrying.