Coventry City (A) FA Cup 3rd Round Matchday Thread

Inverurie Ram

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

I managed to find a live stream on Ladbrokes, so signed up, logged on and Bob's your uncle. I lodged £10 into my "account", which turns out is needed to actually see the stream, so is effectively a bribe. I am not a gambling man, so I will take the tenner back! There was no commentary, and the picture was little bigger than a postage stamp, plus I couldn't get it to talk over hdmi to the telly. Apart from that it was a flying success!

FWIW I did the same with PaddyPower, opened an account. But this game was available to watch with nothing in the account. Put the feed from the laptop through to the tv with an hdmi cable. Fairly low res feed and jittery but better than nowt. #COYR

1 hour ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Stearman can play in another match. We played the best team to win the match. It’s refreshing Rooney played a strong team although we don’t have much depth anyway. 

I don’t agree. We won’t win the FA Cup and we need half a miracle to stay up. Rest the old timers and get some game time into the players we might need to rely on at the business end of the season 

29 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Priorities is the league, plus we and any other team outside the Premiership have a very slim chance of winning it. I also think, if we are due a defeat, lets have it in the cup and bounce back in the league.

Just strange hoping the team loses. Doesn’t matter what priority is. It’s also a slim chance of staying up so maybe we should give up on that as well. At least Derby had a strong team out for once. Shame we lost. 

20 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

I don’t agree. We won’t win the FA Cup and we need half a miracle to stay up. Rest the old timers and get some game time into the players we might need to rely on at the business end of the season 

Disagree!! Play your strongest team every match or at least a team to beat the opposition. Cup or league!! 

10 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Disagree!! Play your strongest team every match or at least a team to beat the opposition. Cup or league!! 

We have two centre halves whose combined age is almost 80. They have been playing 2 or 3 games a week. I disagree with you, they could both have done with a well-earned rest ?

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

We have two centre halves whose combined age is almost 80. They have been playing 2 or 3 games a week. I disagree with you, they could both have done with a well-earned rest ?

They are obviously fit enough if they played. They have a week until the next match. Play Stearman next match if either are struggling this week. He is capable. I am confident that Rooney knew what he was doing when he selected the team and the defence has been solid. The team selection gave us the best chance to progress in my opinion (although I would not have started Kazim but it’s irrelevant).

Just now, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

They are obviously fit enough if they played. They have a week until the next match. Play Stearman next match if either are struggling this week. He is capable. I am confident that Rooney knew what he was doing when he selected the team and the defence has been solid. The team selection gave us the best chance to progress in my opinion (although I would not have started Kazim but it’s irrelevant).

Have to agree to disagree….

2 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

I managed to find a live stream on Ladbrokes, so signed up, logged on and Bob's your uncle. I lodged £10 into my "account", which turns out is needed to actually see the stream, so is effectively a bribe. I am not a gambling man, so I will take the tenner back! There was no commentary, and the picture was little bigger than a postage stamp, plus I couldn't get it to talk over hdmi to the telly. Apart from that it was a flying success!

We started well, and looked the most likely threat for the opening 10 or 15 minutes, and both sides were playing the press well. But gradually Coventry improved the press and ended up seemingly with an answer for most of what we tried - Ebosele excepted. His end product is lacking, but he puts the fear of God up the opposition. What we need is players getting into the box to pick up whatever the defence's panicking throws our way. Coventry's press spread all over the pitch, and they went into challenges and tackles in full-blooded manner - a bit like Leeds, but without the dark malice!  We began to go into our shell, thinking that keeping the ball in our own half, or just into theirs was a good tactic. It is better than simply giving the ball away, but unless we do something with it in the final third, it doesn't actually achieve very much.

Sadly, we were far too cautious, playing the safe ball, playing backwards, such that any forwards momentum was stifled time and time again. No matter what impact Morrison has had, stifling the forwards flow seems to be his MO far too often. We are also unwilling to take the shot on as soon as it presents itself. Too many promising moves ended up with us trying to walk the ball home when a pot shot was screaming out to be had. And yes, the substitutions were way too late. Another shortcoming was that although Festy was our main threat, he spent most of the match out on his own unmarked on the right wing, while we played the ball around in the middle and then out to the left, time and time again. When the ball did get to Ebosele, it was via the requisite 7 or 8 other players, by which time he had two defenders on him. By contrast, several times when Coventry got the ball out of defence, one look up and a long diagonal ball out to the unmarked right winger, time and time again. A lesson to be learned?

On thee live stream all we could hear were the Derby fans giving it large. No surprise - out of a total crowd of 8837, we supplied 3000! I know someone sat in the Coventry end thought we were quiet, but not according to the telly!

Every where we go, making all the noise!!!!

I hope that whoever takes over the club keeps Rooney on, but it is clear, as today showed, that he still has much to learn. Oh, and a single word explanation of the poor refereeing: Madley. 

RIght. Let's dust ourselves down and get ready for next weekend.

I only deposited a fiver to watch it and cast it from my iphone to to my telly, worked a treat, I lost the £5 as I bet it on us to win mind ? 

Edited by Philmycock

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

FWIW I did the same with PaddyPower, opened an account. But this game was available to watch with nothing in the account. Put the feed from the laptop through to the tv with an hdmi cable. Fairly low res feed and jittery but better than nowt. #COYR

I normally get the hdmi to work, but not this time.

26 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

I normally get the hdmi to work, but not this time.

I couldn’t  get paddy power onto the telly. Then I couldn’t expand the rather small view on my computer so lots of squinting and the likes of Tommo almost invisible. The icing on the cake was, the RD commentary was about 15 seconds behind the Pp stream. Suggestions welcomed 

Edited by kevinhectoring

9 minutes ago, angieram said:

Complete lack of stewarding in there today, people being told to  sit anywhere, I was just behind the flag next to the staircase, people coming in right on kickoff time just filled the staircase as you can see on the photo rather than take the seats at the front. If Derby had scored I’m pretty sure there would have been a big surge forward down a steep staircase.

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

I couldn’t  get paddy power onto the telly. Then I couldn’t expand the rather small view on my computer so lots of squinting and the likes of Tommo almost invisible. The icing on the cake was, the RD commentary was about 15 seconds behind the Pp stream. Suggestions welcomed 

Buy a ticket to the game instead? Sorry,couldn't resist

23 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Well done to all the Rams fans that went. DCFC will get 45% of the receipts and it is much needed. But what about Chesterfield taking 5,800? They will get 45% of a 40,000 crowd which will help no end.

I would hope Chelsea would give them 100%! Isn't that what we used to do back in the day when we had money? I seemed to remember us doing it at Hartlepool.