Max Bird

RoyMac5

3 hours ago, England Ram said:

For me it is really telling that he has so much more confidence in Thompson to take hold of the ball and not lose it compared to Shinnie. I love Shiniesta, but technically he has been found wanting a few times.

You can see Bird and Thompson happy to receive the ball and play it around the opposition mids, along with Knight when he is in there.

This has helped Max move on another level with a better player around him.

Just slip Bielik in between Max and Thomo and we'll be in business...

On 31/12/2021 at 17:47, leroyoftherovers said:

Pretty sure I've seen an interview with him saying he wants to establish himself as one of the best centre midfielders in the Championship. You can't do that in League 1.Hopefully we pull off a miracle or he has a change of heart. 

I would imagine he has much higher ambitions than being “one of the best” centre midfielders in the Championship and hopes to play in the Premier League. 
I suspect he only said that, if he actually did, because he happened to be playing in the Championship at the time. If we go down and he’s still with us I bet he’d say something like he wants to be the best central midfielder in league 1 (and help Derby bounce straight back). 

I’m not saying he would or should hesitate too long if a good offer came in though.

3 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I would imagine he has much higher ambitions than being “one of the best” centre midfielders in the Championship and hopes to play in the Premier League. 
I suspect he only said that, if he actually did, because he happened to be playing in the Championship at the time. If we go down and he’s still with us I bet he’d say something like he wants to be the best central midfielder in league 1 (and help Derby bounce straight back). 

I’m not saying he would or should hesitate too long if a good offer came in though.

Tamworthram kind of agree with you he's been with us for a while now and has developed into a really tidy player, not saying he has no loyalty to the rams but he's a Man u fan and like others he will want to play at the highest level he can, just really hope that's with us.

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

I think being able to play Max further forward would be a great benefit, although he needs to work on his shooting. 

I thought his corners were excellent also yesterday. 

He did say in an interview after he scored that screamer earlier this season that he had practised shooting and had been scoring some good goals in training

In fairness, because he’s playing in the deeper midfield two, he doesn’t seem to find himself in a shooting position very often. I’ve thought in games that we don’t seem to get many shots off but I wonder if other teams deliberately close us down around the edge of the box, particularly because of Lawrence’s reputation from range 

I have no stats to back that up 

2 hours ago, Jram said:

He did say in an interview after he scored that screamer earlier this season that he had practised shooting and had been scoring some good goals in training

In fairness, because he’s playing in the deeper midfield two, he doesn’t seem to find himself in a shooting position very often. I’ve thought in games that we don’t seem to get many shots off but I wonder if other teams deliberately close us down around the edge of the box, particularly because of Lawrence’s reputation from range 

I have no stats to back that up 

I think other clubs are very aware that we have a few players who like to shoot from distance. We get allot of shots blocked (I can recall at least 4 yesterday) so maybe we need to be a bit smarter and use that as a decoy tactic.

2 hours ago, Crewton said:

I think other clubs are very aware that we have a few players who like to shoot from distance. We get allot of shots blocked (I can recall at least 4 yesterday) so maybe we need to be a bit smarter and use that as a decoy tactic.

Yeah in fairness, they did seem to change yesterday. It was a lot down the middle which looked impressive but didn’t get us anywhere 

Then halfway through the second half, I guess once Kazim came on, they started getting it out wide and putting crosses in