Don't know how to title this, appalling.

RoyMac5

This poor guy is on the Kingsway roundabout. As I go round most days I see him. I hope that they are looking after him and finding him help and shelter as well as taking away his possessions. Can't be a good place to set up camp. It's a very busy roundabout with a lot of idling traffic and he sits right by the edge of the road breathing it all in. I wish him well and hope he get all the support he needs.

3 hours ago, bcnram said:

I suspect there is more to this than the council randomly grabbing this guys belongings. A roundabout is hardly a safe place for camping out and a real distraction to drivers.

Yeah right. If you read the thread there's examples of the same thing happening to others, not camped on 'dangerous roundabouts'. I imagine watching people freeze to death in winter can be quite distracting though.

Edited by RoyMac5

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah right. If you read the thread there's examples of the same thing happening to others, not camped on 'dangerous roundabouts'. I imagine watching people freeze to death in winter can be quite distracting though.

Homelessness is tragic, but they cannot allow people to camp on busy traffic islands creating danger to others. I doubt very much whether you know any background to this situation or what brought it about. 
You could of course offer to let him camp in your garden. For all you know he may well be in a hostel now and being found a flat. 

18 minutes ago, bcnram said:

Homelessness is tragic, but they cannot allow people to camp on busy traffic islands creating danger to others. I doubt very much whether you know any background to this situation or what brought it about. 
You could of course offer to let him camp in your garden. For all you know he may well be in a hostel now and being found a flat. 

You could read down the thread about the man in question, read a little about what is being done to him. I read it. You might also consider that not all homeless people want or are ready to look for 'a flat'. 

Edited by RoyMac5

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You could read down the thread about the man in question, read a little about what is being done to him. I read it. You might also consider that not all homeless people want or are ready to look for 'a flat'. 

Stairs can be difficult. Bungalows, that’s probably the answer.

2 hours ago, Anon said:

Society makes the rules. I've had to work for accommodation so should they, unless there's a valid reason. Why lock up people who don't pay their tv license?

That wasn't the point!

The point was they'd taken ALL of this homeless man's possessions, including his shelter, and destroyed them. This was for the second time in two months. 

20 hours ago, Archied said:

How do these people look at themselves in the mirror 

I don't think they have reflections. I always suspected that those who thought we were ruled by lizard people were wrong. We are ruled by lizard vampires.

12 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I don't think they have reflections. I always suspected that those who thought we were ruled by lizard people were wrong. We are ruled by lizard vampires.

Never quite went along with that ,, I was more inclined to leeches 

45 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Every new building development you read about in Nottingham is for student accomodation so no shortage of places to shelter the homeless. Sad really.

I think a lot of the problem is not the shortage of accommodation it’s a shortage of the care needed especially for those with mental health problems left behind by the underfunded “care in the community “ .

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Every new building development you read about in Nottingham is for student accomodation so no shortage of places to shelter the homeless. Sad really.

Not every homeless person is 'ready' to be re-housed. And the main point of this is that the Council took away ALL this man's possessions and destroyed them. Why?! 

23 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not every homeless person is 'ready' to be re-housed. And the main point of this is that the Council took away ALL this man's possessions and destroyed them. Why?! 

You're giving an awful lot of credence to the ramblings of one of the twatterati - any other sources to support the assertion that this happened? and how many times had this person been told to leave the roundabout? (or been removed and then returned?)

I'm pretty sure that camping/living on a roundabout in the middle of an A-road is illegal - and would additionally be considered to be a danger to the person involved and passing motorists.....

If the report is true then it sounds incredibly harsh, but if this person has repeatedly gone back to the same site after being removed, maybe it was done for their own safety in the hope that they would accept a place in a hostel or suchlike? Without substantially more information regarding the background to this situation, I'm afraid your anti-council rant is exactly that - a rant.....