Trick or Treat

Day

Trick or Treat  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 hours ago, David said:

I'm down the pub, I've had 8 notifications on Ring for sweets. We have no decorations, lights out.

Don't tell me these families only target houses with decorations, it's rubbish. 

My dog is probably going nuts in there as the door bell keeps going.

Autumn is great, but these Americanised events need binning.

Based on the new threads you have started recently (trick or treat, plastic straws, fireworks, wind chimes) you seem to be an angry man. You're not turning into Victor Meldrew by any chance? ?

45 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Based on the new threads you have started recently (trick or treat, plastic straws, fireworks, wind chimes) you seem to be an angry man. You're not turning into Victor Meldrew by any chance? ?

Just not a fan of anything anti social and plastic bags 

3 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

You’re really missing the point then. We definitely bought and gave away more sweets than we collected last night. It’s not about the begging. 

you want to come round here and see how much fun the kids are having. it’s like a 1second Christmas for us. 

you’ll always get the odd toe rag. When people are out trick or treating, they’ll just leave a tub of sweets outside their door. Apparently there was on group of kids just clearing them out and pissing off. Literally everyone has a ring these days though, so the little idiots have been caught on camera a ton of times. Generally though, it’s a great day and good fun is had by all.

Same here.

It doesn't really happen on the street we live on, so we go up to a nearby new development, where some of Miss Wolfie's friends live, and they go for it in a big way. Loads of houses decorated and lit up etc.

Loads of groups of kids & parents going round last night & as far as I could tell, the rule that if a house isn't decorated - you don't knock on the door, appeared to be impeccably observed. The kids loved it. One or two of them last night were saying they prefer it to Christmas. Could have saved a fortune on presents!

I never did it as a kid - seeing as I grew up on a farm in the peak district & the nearest house was about a mile away.

Love to know what you are all dressing up and celebrating Halloween for, other than because it's fun.

Whilst I'm not religious, I see Christmas as a time to spend with family, friends, end of the year, eat and drink loads, restock the sock drawer. Makes sense.

Halloween though, I just don't get it. There is no logical thinking or reasoning behind it other than "it's fun" from what I can see.

And even that doesn't really wash with me, doesn't look fun, looks like a whole lot of effort to load your kids up with sugar.

There are a lot of fun things that can be doing without being a nuisance to others that are just trying to have a quiet night in.

And this is what I don't get, if you dress your house up "celebrating" Halloween and then go out trick or treating, who's left at home to answer the door and give the kids sweets when you're out begging yourselves?

No wonder houses with no decorations end up getting targeted whilst you lot were out being anti social.

Wouldn't it make sense to just stay in and give your own kids sweets? 

Side note, I went to the pub and it was rammed, not a table spare or costume to be seen, reckon everyone had the same idea, let's go out to avoid this nonsense.

Wouldn't ban it, but if you ain't got a pumpkin out and someone knocks on the door you should be free to give them sweets laced with arsenic with no punishment. 

People wanna spend money putting up poo plastic decorations and wasting food and dressing up like an extra in the Rocky Horror Show then go for it, but do it with likeminded people only.

Any adults dressing up should also have their children taken into care.

Edited by JoetheRam

5 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Funny thing is, my wife never celebrated haloween, so this is all new to her too. They always celebrated day of the dead in South America. Not quite like what you’d expect from films with big parades. That’s mostly just Mexico. But she’d go visit the cemetery with her family, and they’d go have a picnic their remembering their loved ones. She used to really enjoy that day too. I can really get behind that idea. I think it’s nice to have a day when everyone remembers their lost loved ones (remembrance Sunday could be it, but it’s only for soldiers really). So we role haloween and day of the dead into one. 

Dia de los Muertos,The day of the Dead,a day to celebrate the death of loved ones and the life of those presently living,and yes it is real,in Spain the older Spanish go to the cemetry with food and drink and pray for their departed,and spend the night with them in that cemetry,who here would have the nerve to spend a night in a graveyard.

And Tedd is right the tradition was brought to Spain by the Mexicans.

1 hour ago, JoetheRam said:

Wouldn't ban it, but if you ain't got a pumpkin out and someone knocks on the door you should be free to give them sweets laced with arsenic with no punishment. 

People wanna spend money putting up poo plastic decorations and wasting food and dressing up like an extra in the Rocky Horror Show then go for it, but do it with likeminded people only.

Any adults dressing up should also have their children taken into care.

I once read somewhere of a household who used to buy a tin of Roses chocolates,unrap them and get the dog turds out of their garden,roll them and wrap the said turd up in the Roses chocolate wrap and then distribute to trick or treaters,so tell your kids to beware of Roses chocolates given out on trick or treat night

Locked the doors.  Lights off!

... Not one knock at the door.  Saturday or Sunday!  Quite a surprise... but absolute Bliss! 

... When we did used to answer the door, years ago, I used to have a shoe box, with a load of strings hanging out, and held it above their heads so they couldn't see inside.

"Pick a string", I'd goad the little sods!!

One was tied to a fiver.  About half a dozen stuck to £1 coins.  Similar number to 50p's.  A couple of dozen were attached to 1p pieces, and a couple of dozen attached to various lollies, choc bars, mini bags of dolly mixture or similar.  I think I threw in a couple of yoyos one year?

And finally... 3 Dozen strings, attached to duck all!

I enjoyed it as much as the kids!  To see their disappointment when pulling an ungifted piece of string was a glorious sight to behold!

...And shut the bloody gate on the way out!   Mwahahaha!  

2 hours ago, Malagaram said:

I once read somewhere of a household who used to buy a tin of Roses chocolates,unrap them and get the dog turds out of their garden,roll them and wrap the said turd up in the Roses chocolate wrap and then distribute to trick or treaters,so tell your kids to beware of Roses chocolates given out on trick or treat night

Who’s the real loser in this situation, the kid that went ‘aargh’, and dropped and dog poo sweet, or the family who had to spend an entire evening collecting and wrapping up dog poo?

5 hours ago, David said:

Love to know what you are all dressing up and celebrating Halloween for, other than because it's fun.

Whilst I'm not religious, I see Christmas as a time to spend with family, friends, end of the year, eat and drink loads, restock the sock drawer. Makes sense.

Halloween though, I just don't get it. There is no logical thinking or reasoning behind it other than "it's fun" from what I can see.

And even that doesn't really wash with me, doesn't look fun, looks like a whole lot of effort to load your kids up with sugar.

There are a lot of fun things that can be doing without being a nuisance to others that are just trying to have a quiet night in.

And this is what I don't get, if you dress your house up "celebrating" Halloween and then go out trick or treating, who's left at home to answer the door and give the kids sweets when you're out begging yourselves?

No wonder houses with no decorations end up getting targeted whilst you lot were out being anti social.

Side note, I went to the pub and it was rammed, not a table spare or costume to be seen, reckon everyone had the same idea, let's go out to avoid this nonsense.

No Fun GIF by Adult Swim

5 hours ago, David said:

How about this. This only just occurred to me this year. 

clocks go back the last weekend in October. That means the sun sets less than an hour after schools kick out. Most kids aren’t allowed play out after sunset. That basically means kids are grounded for 6 months.

So haloween marks the last night they can really go out and have fun (normally with some sort of parental supervision). 

so just as Christmas, if you’re not religious, could be described as an all purpose winterfest, to steer clear of SAD. Haloween is sort of an all purpose autumnfest, celebrating (honouring) the end of summer, lamenting the start of long nights, but trying to find the joy in that. 

57 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

How about this. This only just occurred to me this year. 

clocks go back the last weekend in October. That means the sun sets less than an hour after schools kick out. Most kids aren’t allowed play out after sunset. That basically means kids are grounded for 6 months.

So haloween marks the last night they can really go out and have fun (normally with some sort of parental supervision). 

so just as Christmas, if you’re not religious, could be described as an all purpose winterfest, to steer clear of SAD. Haloween is sort of an all purpose autumnfest, celebrating (honouring) the end of summer, lamenting the start of long nights, but trying to find the joy in that. 

Which is precisely what Halloween's predecessor Samhain really is.  It also happened to be the one night of the year that dead spirits could cross over and revisit the world of the living, or so people believed.  Hence all the 'spooky' aspects of Halloween I suppose. 

No idea how this ancient pagan festival has become what it is now, a night where kids relentlessly chase their biggest sugar high of the year. 

11 minutes ago, Highgate said:

kids relentlessly chase their biggest sugar high of the year

I think my daughters still coming down from hers. She’s got a right spar head, didn’t touch her tea, and just crawled into bed when I told her to get ready for a bath. She’s in a foul mood. Closest thing a 5 year old can get to a hangover. 

8 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Wait till @David has bin lids.

All his firework and Halloween hates will be out the window.

Pester power and peer pressure will prevail.

Absolutely no chance.

When I say no chance, I mean no chance.

I'm lucky to have met someone with the same level of hatred for this anti social time of the year so there will be no arguments there.

Look up anti social behaviour, this is the very definition of it.