The Good Ole Days !

Seaside Ram

Health care is so much better nowadays. Chances are both my parents would have lived much longer if they were from my generation. 

I love that I can chat instantly with friends and relatives and "see" them wherever they are in the world.

Sport is so much better technically,  shame its dominated by money.

I liked the sense of community and neighbourhood back in the day.

Poverty in this country was more extreme, but now we are more aware of how relatively lucky we are on a global scale.

We were more connected with nature then. 

I think that technology means there are too many people on the planet so I think nature will fight back to try and redress the balance - pandemics, extreme weather events etc. 

10 hours ago, Normanton Lad said:

This debate always goes like this :

Old person : Things were better then.

Young Person (who wasn't born then) : No, you are wrong. You just think things were better but they weren't really.

In other words, old people are stupid and deluded.

One of the few improvements I can think of is personal hygiene. We didn't shower much in those days. 

Where as the reality is, if you’re generalising rather than talking about something specific, they are both partly wrong and partly right. 

Some things were better and some things were worse. Surely everyone, young and old would accept that.

13 hours ago, Eddie said:

I guess you weren't around in the winter of '62.

For future reference, and to avoid any doubt/confusion, could you please clarify that it was actually the winter of '62/'63!

I was born Jan '63, in the midst of it all, and I like to regale folk on just how bloody tough I am, to have been born amid such conditions!  There was even talk of my cord not being cut in the conventional way, but rather with the coal tongues, direct from the flames!

Family legend has it that I ate tripe and onions for my first ever meal, as my mother's milk had froze... right in the middle of an episode of Ironside (T'was her favourite!).  She was not happy!     

Summer babies?  LUXURY!   

13 hours ago, Eddie said:

I only saw it on newsreels in the cinema, because I lived in Malaya, but the first snows started on 28 December 1962 and there was still snow on the ground 11 weeks later. There were 20 foot deep snowdrifts, the sea froze at Herne Bay and Pegwell Bay, the upper Derwent froze and footy ground to a halt. That was the year they set up the Pools Panel.

Little-known fact - one of the original pools panelists was former football referee Arthur Ellis who went on to greater things - working with Eddie Waring et al on "It's A Knockout".

Small world, I was living in Malaya in 62 as well.

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

For future reference, and to avoid any doubt/confusion, could you please clarify that it was actually the winter of '62/'63!

I was born Jan '63, in the midst of it all, and I like to regale folk on just how bloody tough I am, to have been born amid such conditions!  There was even talk of my cord not being cut in the conventional way, but rather with the coal tongues, direct from the flames!

Family legend has it that I ate tripe and onions for my first ever meal, as my mother's milk had froze... right in the middle of an episode of Ironside (T'was her favourite!).  She was not happy!     

Summer babies?  LUXURY!   

Ironside was first broadcast in 1967. I'd happily eat tripe and onions if I'd waited four years before getting my first meal.

There again maybe not. I can remember seeing tripe hanging in a shop on the corner of the market hall. Horrible looking stuff.

6 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Ironside was first broadcast in 1967. I'd happily eat tripe and onions if I'd waited four years before getting my first meal.

There again maybe not. I can remember seeing tripe hanging in a shop on the corner of the market hall. Horrible looking stuff.

Bitty?

26 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Ironside was first broadcast in 1967.

He probably means Perry Mason which also starred Raymond Burr. I think a lot of people today would have trouble following the Perry Mason plots and court cases. I think the average TV watcher must have been smarter then. The contrast between California today and California portrayed in Perry Mason is startling. In the 1950s and early 1960s everyone wanted to go there. Today they are trying to get out.

3 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Well I never!  ?

In all honesty/seriousness, the fable went "Mum went into labour with you during Ironside (her favourite), and she's never forgiven you"! (Jokingly, obvs... she was a wonderful woman!)

I have clearly been mis-informed for all these decades!  Now I know where my own lousy memory comes from!   ?

Unfortunately, neither parent is around to chastise, so I'll just have to forgive them!  ?

?

On 30/09/2021 at 21:26, TexasRam said:

Unfortunately not, was it bad? Bloody global warming! I love a dark cold winter 

I remember the baker eventually managing to make his way to our door after several weeks. He knocked on the back door and created an avalanche of snow from the kitchen roof which almost covered him. It was really bad. Farmers lost so many animals which were frozen in the fields. Not such good days, though I have wonderful memories of skating on the village pond with my dad and my sister.

Edited by Miggins

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Maybe things were simpler? I think that life seemed less pressured. It's difficult having to consider the whole world, when it was just your town it was easier. Dunno. I guess we all need to make connections and that is easier at a local level.

When you consider that only one thousand years ago, or a lot less than that, we only knew what happened in our own locality and we knew pretty much everyone in our social circle. We were connected with pretty much everyone we came into contact with. We knew what made them tick and we knew who was a threat and who wasn't. We were connected to almost everyone we knew and we were connected to nature. Strangers were few and far between. Compare that with today. We are suddenly aware not just of own immediate surroundings but of the whole world. We meet hundreds of people each day that we are unfamiliar with. We are no longer so closely connected with nature. The world around us has changed so fast and I don't think we have evolved fast enough to keep up with it. No wonder we are stressed, over whelmed. I think under the circumstances we do very well!

On 01/10/2021 at 08:19, angieram said:

Health care is so much better nowadays. Chances are both my parents would have lived much longer if they were from my generation. 

I agree, @angieram. I've been doing a lot of work on our family tree over the last year and it has really brought it home to me how lucky I am compared with my 1800's ancestors for whom life and death was so difficult without pensions, welfare benefits and NHS care. So many of them died well before their time of conditions that are treatable today. In the respect of health care we are living at the very best possible time.

11 hours ago, Miggins said:

When you consider that only one thousand years ago, or a lot less than that, we only knew what happened in our own locality and we knew pretty much everyone in our social circle. We were connected with pretty much everyone we came into contact with. We knew what made them tick and we knew who was a threat and who wasn't. We were connected to almost everyone we knew and we were connected to nature. Strangers were few and far between. Compare that with today. We are suddenly aware not just of own immediate surroundings but of the whole world. We meet hundreds of people each day that we are unfamiliar with. We are no longer so closely connected with nature. The world around us has changed so fast and I don't think we have evolved fast enough to keep up with it. No wonder we are stressed, over whelmed. I think under the circumstances we do very well!

Is that the Royal "We", or are you referring to @Eddieand yourself?