The Good Ole Days !

Seaside Ram

Seeing folk in meltdown about our away support got me thinking and asking myself this.......

Do folk old enough to compare think today's world is better than 35-40 years ago or not ?  ( I obviously don't mean technology, more people , not that I even think folk will be brave enough to say what they really think ) 

The only places to vent back then were back street pubs, the corner shop, and the garden gate.  Often an audience of one or two, and rarely more than a dozen.

They would have had a melt down about us young 'uns (as we were back then), if only they'd had somewhere to do it! 
Same thing in theory, but it was just called a rant, back then!

I find the whole "things aren't as good as they used to be" rose-tinted specs thing annoying

it's easy to look at the stuff that you perceive as "better" from your childhood, and forget the not so good. Human nature even

It helps to balance it by forcing yourself to give a bit of thought to the terrible things about the old days. There are plenty

I don’t remember road rage incidents in the 70’s nor the arrogance I feel some young people display these days but hey, maybe I just didn’t perceive it as arrogance back then as I was a teenager too.

I am aware I am less tolerant of what I think is bad manners these days. Suppose that’s what being in my sixties now has done to me. ?‍♂️

Ask most of us in our seventies if we wanted to be in our twenties now and starting out we’d probably say no!

Was life better IN the seventies?

No, but most things, particularly house prices were less then in real terms. (As a percentage of earned income.)

Music has never been better than it was in the sixties but has never been more accessible than it is now! 
Technology has shrunk the world beyond anything we imagined back in the day!

I don’t believe that life is more dangerous nowadays, we just get to hear about bad things much sooner and in more graphic detail nowadays. All it takes is a mobile phone and everything is recorded.

In some ways better, in other worse.  Coming from a small formerly rather isolated community, the changes have been very fast and in one's face.  Honesty was the rule, not the exception, if you dropped your wallet stuffed with cash on the main street, it was very likely that it would be found and returned.  Life was simpler and as the years pass ever quicker, i find myself appreciating simplicity, to the point of planning to move from the city to quiet town.  Intolerance of anyone different in any way is one thing that isn't missed though and is more prevalent in the rural area and if it's a fishing town and one is not particularly interested in chatting about fish, there won't be much to chat about.

41 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

The good old days. A set of selective memories that support the narrative you presently hold.

My favourite is the "what kids today need is a good hiding" types

When they say "my Father used to give me a good hiding and it never did me any harm"...

Oblivious to the fact that they are very much proving that it DID do them some real harm.

It made them grow up to think that you should hit children

16 hours ago, Brammie Steve said:

Music has never been better than it was in the sixties but has never been more accessible than it is now! 
Technology has shrunk the world beyond anything we imagined back in the day!

As a HUGE music fan to the extent that I opened a shop just to get more involved, I'd totally disagree with that.

There was nothing like the variety of music then as there is now.

You think it was better then because you (and the vast majority of people out there) have no clue what is being produced.

I have music on 7 or 8 hours per day and am always finding really good new stuff and barely scratch the surface

There was some brilliant stuff produced in the 60s' but now is an amazing time for music. 

I'd compare it to TV. There are so many brilliant TV series and mini-series, but because there are so many different platforms it's easy to miss great stuff. In fact, impossible not to, just check out the TV thread.

I'd say it was easier to find good music in the 60s than maybe it is n

ow though. 

On 29/09/2021 at 20:21, Stive Pesley said:

I find the whole "things aren't as good as they used to be" rose-tinted specs thing annoying

it's easy to look at the stuff that you perceive as "better" from your childhood, and forget the not so good. Human nature even

It helps to balance it by forcing yourself to give a bit of thought to the terrible things about the old days. There are plenty

There was less snowflakes, that was better ?

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I guess you weren't around in the winter of '62.

Unfortunately not, was it bad? Bloody global warming! I love a dark cold winter 

Edited by TexasRam

21 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Unfortunately not, was it bad? Bloody global warming! I love a dark cold winter 

I only saw it on newsreels in the cinema, because I lived in Malaya, but the first snows started on 28 December 1962 and there was still snow on the ground 11 weeks later. There were 20 foot deep snowdrifts, the sea froze at Herne Bay and Pegwell Bay, the upper Derwent froze and footy ground to a halt. That was the year they set up the Pools Panel.

Little-known fact - one of the original pools panelists was former football referee Arthur Ellis who went on to greater things - working with Eddie Waring et al on "It's A Knockout".

This debate always goes like this :

Old person : Things were better then.

Young Person (who wasn't born then) : No, you are wrong. You just think things were better but they weren't really.

In other words, old people are stupid and deluded.

One of the few improvements I can think of is personal hygiene. We didn't shower much in those days. 

28 minutes ago, Normanton Lad said:

This debate always goes like this :

Old person : Things were better then.

Young Person (who wasn't born then) : No, you are wrong. You just think things were better but they weren't really.

In other words, old people are stupid and deluded.

One of the few improvements I can think of is personal hygiene. We didn't shower much in those days. 

Yes, a close friend would socially distance and an honest friend would whisper “BO!” and you were meant to know what they meant!

6 minutes ago, Brammie Steve said:

Yes, a close friend would socially distance and an honest friend would whisper “BO!” and you were meant to know what they meant!

Speaking of BO...

A mother skunk had two kids that she named In and Out. Whenever In was in, Out was out. And whenever In was out, Out was in.
One day Out was in but Mum couldn't find In anywhere. She looked everywhere for In; up, down, left, right, but she could not find In. Finally she asked Out to find In, and Out went right to where In was hiding. When the mother skunk asked Out how he knew where to find In, he replied
"Easy. Instinct."