Season 21 - 22 survival bid statistics

Yani P

• 2 weeks later...

Just updating all the stats today, firstly the handicap graphic where our 21 point penalty is spread evenly over the 46 games.

As you can see, that would currently have us on 25 points so well in this relegation battle - key for me is how much better our form is in reality when compared to those teams in the bottom half. Also its now just 16 games to go, so light at the end of the tunnel.

30 games hcap.JPG

Amazing to me that 4th bottom after 27 games is now tracking 6 points behind last season. i thought 44 points would not be enough (mainly based on ours and sheff weds terrible end of season form) but that current 6 point buffer is more than handy. If Peterboro fail to win tonight then 4th bottom will remain at 22 points after 28 games and will be 7 points behind last season. If that gap remained for the season then a ridiculous 37 points would see us safe. 

Like i've said before, I fully expect this gap to close down due to last years late season form, but the way it is right now is perfect for DCFC.

30 games 4th bottom.JPG

In this table ive tried to give us a bit of a buffer, i've kept the safety points number at 62 (net 41). As you can see we are only 2 points away from that based on our current position. If we were to drop that points needed down to 59 (net 38) which is the current reality, then clearly we are already ahead of the game and will survive. 

30 games trazx.JPG

February
Middlesbrough (A)
Peterborough (H)
Millwall (H)
Luton (A)

March
Cardiff (A)
Barnsley (H)
Bournemouth (A)
Blackburn (A)
Coventry (H)

April
Preston (H)
Swansea (A)
Fulham (H)
QPR (A)
Bristol C (H)
Blackpool (A)

May
Cardiff (H)

If we won our 7 home games but lost at home to Fulham that would currently be enough for safety.

You would hope that there are a few points for us in those away games, so a positive position I think.

24 minutes ago, Yani P said:

Amazing to me that 4th bottom after 27 games is now tracking 6 points behind last season. i thought 44 points would not be enough (mainly based on ours and sheff weds terrible end of season form) but that current 6 point buffer is more than handy. If Peterboro fail to win tonight then 4th bottom will remain at 22 points after 28 games and will be 7 points behind last season. If that gap remained for the season then a ridiculous 37 points would see us safe. 

Like i've said before, I fully expect this gap to close down due to last years late season form, but the way it is right now is perfect for DCFC.

30 games 4th bottom.JPG

But the disappointing thing is the gap that has opened up above Reading. Means that things are tough for us if they turn things around after their Jan window 

Just now, kevinhectoring said:

But the disappointing thing is the gap that has opened up above Reading. Means that things are tough for us if they turn things around after their Jan window 

That is my only worry, but just based on stats and trends we are still in a good place..there is always the chance that a team higher up could do a Derby or Sheff Weds...

This graphic acts as a mirror to last season - we achieved 44 points so the logic was if we get to 44 we are in the mix - as it stands the safety line (based on 4th bottom at 27 games) is currently 38 points. I'm sure it will rise as discussed above, but if we still track for 44 I reckon we will be safe with breathing space.

We have one game left in the 3rd sector - this was by a mile our best last season so my expectation was to be as close as possible without it being very likely that we could match or beat it. After the Boro game we are into Sector 4 where we we will have 15 games left to beat the 7 points we gained last season (plus whatever the deficit is from sectors 1-3)..  

30 games 2021 mirrir.JPG

A lot of my analysis for this seasons relegation survival fight used last season as the benchmark. Why? because we were the 4th bottom team on 44 points so again tracking that as our target for this season made sense. 

After tonight's matches the 4th bottom team (currently Reading) are a massive 7 points off that target 44 points score based on last season.

What does that mean for us? Well all of my tracking was trying to achieve 44, but always hoping the baseline would fall lower to make our task easier. Right now the safety zone could be anywhere from 37-44 points, but tracking at the bottom end of that target.

nothing but positive news for us..

Edited by Yani P

• 2 weeks later...