Sir Clive Sinclair RIP

oomarkwright

Died today aged 81, following a long illness.

Who here cut their programming teeth on a ZX81 or a Spectrum?

Did anyone manage to survive a road trip in a C5 or a ride on a Sea-Doo?

Back in 1980, the Derby Evening Telegraph ran an intelligence test type competition, the first prize being a Sinclair Scientific calculator and a free home test and entrance examination to Mensa (Sir Clive was on the board at the time, so basically the competition was part of a recruitment drive).

3 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Just imagine trying to use a PC with one 1kb of memory today.....what the guy did was unbelievable. 

Had more fun playing games on my Spectrum than I ever did on machines 100,000 times it's computing power.

Unless it failed to load and you had to do it all again.  Then the tape machine chewed the cassette up.

We got the Ram port in the end. What a great name.

2 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Unless it failed to load and you had to do it all again.  Then the tape machine chewed the cassette up.

We got the Ram port in the end. What a great name.

Yes wasn't it R Tape Loading Error when you waited for ten minutes for your game to load then ten seconds before the end it threw up that and you had to start all over again....

Edited by Tyler Durden

2 hours ago, Boycie said:

@Eddie I’ve moved your similar thread to merge here in the Jim Smith forum, as I don’t think he played or had any interest in Derby.

Or did he? ?

Not sure we ever had any Mensans playing for Derby.

Many years ago, there was a quiz programme on the telly called "Quiz Ball", and Derby won it - but this was almost entirely down to Ted Moult. Alan Hinton's contribution was as follows:

David Vine: "In which sporting event would you participate according to the Marquis of Queensbury Rules?"

Gladys: "Cards"

Saying that, John O'Hare was pretty clever. Years later, I took part in a sports quiz team with him and Martin O'Neill when they both played for the gumps, and both were red hot, especially on horseracing.

11 hours ago, Eddie said:

Who here cut their programming teeth on a ZX81 or a Spectrum?

Yup. My folks didn't have a lot of money back then, so when my mates were starting to get Spectrums, I got a second hand ZX81 - with a 16k Ram pack, which didn't fit quite snugly enough and kept falling off. Also that flat keyboard was horrible to use.

Still happy memories, though.

9 hours ago, Eddie said:

Not sure we ever had any Mensans playing for Derby.

Many years ago, there was a quiz programme on the telly called "Quiz Ball", and Derby won it - but this was almost entirely down to Ted Moult. Alan Hinton's contribution was as follows:

David Vine: "In which sporting event would you participate according to the Marquis of Queensbury Rules?"

Gladys: "Cards"

Saying that, John O'Hare was pretty clever. Years later, I took part in a sports quiz team with him and Martin O'Neill when they both played for the gumps, and both were red hot, especially on horseracing.

It’ll be in Hinton’s book no doubt. ?

18 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Just imagine trying to use a PC with one 1kb of memory today.....what the guy did was unbelievable. 

Had more fun playing games on my Spectrum than I ever did on machines 100,000 times it's computing power.

Started on the ZX81 and that kickstarted my life-time career (as it did many of us). This was my first computer magazine complete with 1k Space Invaders for the ZX81! Cheers Sir Clive!

Capture.JPG

Edited by TimRam