Club comms

Spanish

14 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I agree with everything you say as it's totally logical so do you accept then there might be some greater forces (not the EFL btw) behind the reason not to open the ticket office?

After all, if it's so much of a no brainer then why aren't they doing it?

Clearly it’s unfathomable to the sensible eye.

Unless Mel has turned in Chief Inspector Dreyfus diabolically playing the organ shouting bring me the EFL or I’ll kill Derby County.

59 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Have you given serious consideration to the possibility that the closure of the ticket office is intrinsically linked to the other off field issues which the club is unable to comment about?

And if the club were to come out and give the true reasons behind the ticket office not opening then that would cause widespread dismay and panic amongst supporters so they are deliberately trying to suppress the release of that information?

I cannot imagine any reason they could come up with, that would be worse than saying nothing. 

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

One thing to note, according to the DET this morning:

"Both parties - the club and the EFL - are bound by the independent disciplinary commission and they cannot go public on the detail within the ongoing case."

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/Derby-county-transfer-embargo-efl-5866272

That doesn't mean the whole thing isn't incredibly frustrating.

But it does mean all the twaddle on facebook and titter is all pure guesswork and speculation …. Yes percy im looking at you

I know it doesn't help with any conspiracy theory, but we're not the only club that's closed their ticket office, not saying it justifies the decision, just thought it was worth mentioning thats all. Reminds me of the away kit release, again we wasn't the only club not to release their away kit before the season starts, but you would assume it was just in Derby looking at social media. 

Anyway, Spurs have closed their ticket office, not open at all, Swansea only open on match days, sure I have seen others online, feel free to look and verify. 

With everything moving online to e tickets, ticket offices will be a thing of the past in a few years, not just football clubs but cinema, train stations, airports. Might only be a minimum wage job, but it's money saved where computers can takeover.

The pandemic has probably sped things up a little, businesses exploring cost cutting measures, exploring online only options as well as going cashless now. 

People will moan but online systems will be improved and be easier to use as feedback is gathered, your mobile phone will carry tickets, driving licences (America just approved), medical passports the lot, not sure it should even be called a phone at this point.

I have been helping the in laws adapt, they now have iPhones, every time I go round I'll ask them to either show me their covid passport or send me an email. They even order repeat prescriptions now on an app rather than ringing the doctors. All us reading this now are lucky, we're growing up with this technology so will be easier to age without being frustrated about not being able to buy a football ticket.

10 minutes ago, David said:

I know it doesn't help with any conspiracy theory, but we're not the only club that's closed their ticket office, not saying it justifies the decision, just thought it was worth mentioning thats all. Reminds me of the away kit release, again we wasn't the only club not to release their away kit before the season starts, but you would assume it was just in Derby looking at social media. 

Anyway, Spurs have closed their ticket office, not open at all, Swansea only open on match days, sure I have seen others online, feel free to look and verify. 

With everything moving online to e tickets, ticket offices will be a thing of the past in a few years, not just football clubs but cinema, train stations, airports. Might only be a minimum wage job, but it's money saved where computers can takeover.

The pandemic has probably sped things up a little, businesses exploring cost cutting measures, exploring online only options as well as going cashless now. 

People will moan but online systems will be improved and be easier to use as feedback is gathered, your mobile phone will carry tickets, driving licences (America just approved), medical passports the lot, not sure it should even be called a phone at this point.

I have been helping the in laws adapt, they now have iPhones, every time I go round I'll ask them to either show me their covid passport or send me an email. They even order repeat prescriptions now on an app rather than ringing the doctors. All us reading this now are lucky, we're growing up with this technology so will be easier to age without being frustrated about not being able to buy a football ticket.

Spurs is true. Was told by a mate, probably should have verified myself first but here it is. They are not using season ticket cards now either, all stored on your phone. There is an environmental thing to consider here as well I guess, no more plastic and paper being used.

https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/the-stadium/attending-matches/digital-ticket/

https://ask.tottenhamhotspur.com/hc/en-us/articles/208202235

6 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

That they can't afford to pay a person minimum wage for a few hours a week to open it? There's one for a start. 

I have nothing concrete to back this up TD, but my gut feeling is that, quite some time ago, Mel has decided that enough is enough and that he was no longer prepared to fund anything else at the club, other than the absolute, rock bottom, bare minimum needed to keep it ticking over. I don't think its a question of Mel not being able to afford stuff, he remains a very wealthy man. But he has decided : no more, its time to stop. After a £200m + investment has got him nowhere.

Again, I have no evidence, but I suspect that both Stephen ( the ex FD, now CEO ) and Mel went through an exercise some time back literally reviewing every possible expense in the organisation on a line by line basis. With a ruthless and determined approach to challenge each and every single cost with an aggressive attitude of can we exist without it or can it be done in another cheaper or non-cost way ? 

So, from what we see as supporters  :

No ticket office - can be done online

No concourse tv and other facilities - not necessary

Reduction in back office staff other than ticket office - find another way. eg if you report bad supporter behaviour to the club, you are now directed to the police in the first instance, rather than the club taking the lead in investigating. Notice that all the signs  in the concourses and even loos ,previously encouraging fans to confidentially report unacceptable behaviour to the club, have now disappeared.

I dont know Mel, and I have never met him, but from what I have seen and heard, he certainly seems to be the rare type of individual who has the character and bloody mindedness, to carry out this kind of approach. 

Again, just to be clear, this is just my personal theory from what I have observed. Complete conjecture on my part. 

2 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

they did put something out that night - briefly, there was nothing of much interest that wasn't already known though. I wasn't aware it had caused any issues, but i think they left early and  David said that the request to not give public feedback was at the end

I think you've got this slightly muddled.

David had to leave early to catch the last train back, and was unaware that anything would be released as this decision was taken once he'd gone.

He then got pelters on Twitter, with no idea what had been agreed, and no easy way of responding.

He then fired off a fax, asking for permission to release his notes, but unfortunately this used up the last roll of fax paper in the club office, with unfortunate consequences.

Mel's ordered a new roll of fax paper from 1985, but until it arrives the club is in limbo. 

It can't reply to David, contact the EFL to file new accounts, sign up any new players etc etc.

Edited by Rev
Putting the real truth out there. With a defense of obvious satire for any legal bod's watching.

4 minutes ago, Bianoic said:

I have nothing concrete to back this up TD, but my gut feeling is that, quite some time ago, Mel has decided that enough is enough and that he was no longer prepared to fund anything else at the club, other than the absolute, rock bottom, bare minimum needed to keep it ticking over. I don't think its a question of Mel not being able to afford stuff, he remains a very wealthy man. But he has decided : no more, its time to stop. After a £200m + investment has got him nowhere.

Again, I have no evidence, but I suspect that both Stephen ( the ex FD, now CEO ) and Mel went through an exercise some time back literally reviewing every possible expense in the organisation on a line by line basis. With a ruthless and determined approach to challenge each and every single cost with an aggressive attitude of can we exist without it or can it be done in another cheaper or non-cost way ? 

Reduction in back office staff other than ticket office - find another way. eg if you report bad supporter behaviour to the club, you are now directed to the police in the first instance, rather than the club taking the lead in investigating. Notice that all the signs  in the concourses and even loos ,previously encouraging fans to confidentially report unacceptable behaviour to the club, have now disappeared.

I dont know Mel, and I have never met him, but from what I have seen and heard, he certainly seems to be the rare type of individual who has the character and bloody mindedness, to carry out this kind of approach. 

Again, just to be clear, this is just my personal theory from what I have observed. Complete conjecture on my part. 

I can see this line of thought in some respects but I don’t see that cutting off an obvious revenue stream like the ticket office helps to save Mel money.

We can tell from anecdotal evidence on here that people simply haven’t been able to get tickets online or have no access to printers or just prefer dealing with a person face to face. These people haven’t gone or even haven’t renewed their season ticket because of it. Some even see it as a slight to fans. Rather than making things easy the club have made it hard, which many have seen as disrespectful to the loyal and the faithful.

32 minutes ago, David said:

Leicester also have no ticket office and many use them as a shining example of perfection. 

What is at play here is likely to be that we've attempted to move to that model and done it terribly. 

Many on here and tw@tter could also do with understanding what it means to go into administration and why it gets done.

5 minutes ago, 24Charlie said:

I can see this line of thought in some respects but I don’t see that cutting off an obvious revenue stream like the ticket office helps to save Mel money.

We can tell from anecdotal evidence on here that people simply haven’t been able to get tickets online or have no access to printers or just prefer dealing with a person face to face. These people haven’t gone or even haven’t renewed their season ticket because of it. Some even see it as a slight to fans. Rather than making things easy the club have made it hard, which many have seen as disrespectful to the loyal and the faithful.

There will still be a lot of people that don't feel comfortable entering busy venues with covid, then those that are simply disillusioned with what is going on.

Not sure the drop in attendance can be fully attributed to the closure of the ticket office.

Sure some will be, but there will be other factors at play here.

17 minutes ago, Bianoic said:

So who paid for the 5 star preseason getaway. On a side note I have met Mel in a hotel in Bristol and he bought me and my wife a drink ?

10 minutes ago, 24Charlie said:

For reference see Biden and Afghanistan .

Huge collateral damage.  But this ends here.

For Biden and Afghanistan read Mel and Derby County. Its the same kind of thing, albeit obviously on a completely different level.

Apologies for offending anyone by using this recent  high profile comparison, just thought it was a very good example of bloody mindedness behaviour.

9 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

So who paid for the 5 star preseason getaway. On a side note I have met Mel in a hotel in Bristol and he bought me and my wife a drink ?

Premier Inn at Lowestoft  may not have helped with either player retention or recruitment, or keeping the managers on side at a crucial time. ie cost = necessity. 

8 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Did you check you bar tab afterwards to make sure he didn't put it on your room 

To be fair there was that many on there I wouldn’t have noticed. We were in the Marriott Royal after we had transferred from the Swansea Marriott where the players had stayed, I expected the players would be staying at the Bristol Marriott as they did the previous year when Lampard was in charge. We were sat in the bar a couple of hours before the game and Mel walked in on his own and sat at the table next to us. This was pretty much at the start of our troubles with the Efl and I asked him if there was any update and his words were there are pages and pages of paperwork to go through. I don’t expect either of us expected it to go on this long, then I thought he bought us a drink but Tyler has put a doubt in my mind